Kevin McKay

What needs to change in fly fishing

19 posts in this topic

Go fishing and have a good time.  I don't care if you cast a fly, dunk a worm or cast a lure.  This thing we call fishing is just that, fishing.  The pursuit of the tug on the end of the line and just being out there is all you do need.  If you can make someone else's day just a little brighter by giving them a hand with any of the above methods, then do it.

Enjoy the company of others if that is what you want or be completely alone with your thoughts. Do what makes you most happy and don't fall into the trap of what is right.  Self analyzing ourselves has become such a bummer in this society today no wonder the world is like it is. Treat others the way you would like to be treated and.........Just go fishing.

7 people like this

Amen Alan .

I believe I have read this like last year it's a good article. I agree with Alan and mal. 

Do we really need to go through this again lol!

What needs to change?

For me, It's simple. I need to be doing more of it.

You'd think, because I'm retired, that I'd have nothing but time to fish. Life doesn't work that way. There's always 'stuff' to do. Whether it's something in the house, or the yard, or with the kids or grandchildren, or my wife, there's lots of things competing for my time.

I know everyone's thinking, "Oh, poor you."  Really, though, I'm plenty happy with my current lot in life.

More fishing would be nice, though.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Swamptrout said:

Do we really need to go through this again lol!

I knew I read this before thought it was on here lol

Amen Alan...

That's all I guess, could say a lot more about some of the values of corporate marketing, as to what today's corporate-run society values as pre-requisites to being a good parent... 

What Alan said!

River etiquette could use some reform.  Some of our most special places that are in danger of being loved to death could stand additional protections, and dare I say it in a few cases, that should include a fair system for limiting or rationing access; see Quebec's ZEC system.  Less (over)reliance on stocking, and more emphasis on habitat conservation and restoration.  More enlightened bag regulations based on maximum fishery sustainability, and in some places, maximum fish size.  

1 person likes this

I like that article a lot... we can take this all too seriously. When you think you have gotten to that point, take a 4 year old to a bluegill pond with two dozen night crawlers, some Gatorade and plenty of snacks... and celebrate everything. A good cast, a good fish, learning to paddle a canoe and a good nAp in the sun.

All of our skills are largely transferable... and alas, for his 4th Christmas he wanted a rod like Dad's and a $25 featherlight was under the tree. This summer will be hulapoppers and softhackles. 

The only thing I would add... don't forget to look up... once once you're free from the burden of success being measured in pounds, inches and epic days can you realize that fish live in beautiful places. 

2 people like this

We need to be able to get a deduction, on the Federal Return, from our fuel expenses when going to and fro on our fishing trips....just document everything, fuel station/price per gal....map & mileage...etc.

+ Aldo's....

1 person likes this

Nothing needs to change.  Unless it involves regulations that help preserve and grow our fisheries which would effect all types of fishing. I don't mind running into Mr LL Bean while fishing nor do I look down on Mr worm dunker as long as the laws are being abided by.  We can be tempted to an elitest attitude (or perhaps unknowingly come off as one) especially if we are building our own rods and tying our own flies to match a hatch we see happening that we have researched and learned about from our library of FF books.  Just gotta stay humble which is easy to do when all the above fails and you can't catch a pea brained trout that just tried to eat your strike indicator a few minutes ago

I'm sure that this won't be popular or well received by some, but I would add that we all need to stop using fish-to-hand numbers as the gauge for "a good day".  Fly fishing provides us with so much more than... fish.  Despite the fact that most (or at least many) of us release everything that takes, catch-and-release mortality is very real.  We ought not to use the fact that we practice catch and release as justification for stressing as many fish as possible, but isn't that what we do?.  We need to be ever-mindful of our impacts and control them as much as possible.  With 52 seasons under my belt, I've come to understand that on those days when I can't keep them off my fly, that is especially when I need to use restraint and limit my time on the water.  I don't have to catch every fish in the river, stream, pond or lake.  That's easier said than done because the tug really is a DRUG.  But with fly fishing ranks continuing to grow, there simply aren't enough resources to sustain the ever-increasing demand.  We all need to stop and think about how our own individual actions add to the strain.  

Well put Headwaters...

Headwaters, You make very valid points and I agree with much of what you have said, BUT.

Yes the world has changed since I was a youngster and what was acceptable practice back in the day now is frowned upon if not out right outlawed (ex. barbed hooks not allowed on some rivers).

Yes, with a growing population the strain on all our resources will become a big problem whether it's our ability to feed ourselves or pursue our hunting and fishing hobbies.

I also believe in limiting the stress on the fish as much as possible. Maybe I'm reading more into your words than what is there but it almost sounds like we should cut the hook part off our flies and just let the fish hit the fly and then swim off or maybe sit on the shore and count fish rises. Sorry, that is not fishing in my book. Fishing is what it is and to me it's fooling the fish to take my fly and to successfully bring it to the net. With barbless hooks and a net my contact with the fish is minimal.  As long as one fishes and hooks a fish you stress that animal. So, it's the degree of stress that one deems acceptable. That's a personal dialog one must have with themselves. 

The above is my personal opinion and like noses, everyone has one and they are absolutely entitled to them. 

1 person likes this

What Arrowflinger said. 

Ron

9 hours ago, arrowflinger said:

Maybe I'm reading more into your words than what is there...

Bingo.