PA flyguy

Maine trip

15 posts in this topic

I am making my first trip to Maine over the week of July 4th.  Having never been here I needed somebody guidance on a few things.  I am staying in Camden and my wife suggested I bring my fly rod with me so I can fish while she shops.  I have searched for good locals near Camden (it has to be close by as she will be dropping me off and then leaving).  By no means am I looking for private hotspots or secret locations (unless you want to share those) I'm just looking for some productive water so I can have a true Maine fly fishing experience.   In western pa it is hard to find water that holds fish into July so I didn't want to spend time on water where fish don't carry over or thrive natively. I would love to try and get into some larger browns or landlocked salmon but I'm just as happy stalking smaller trout.   I plan on stopping into a conservation officer office and checking on the regulations so I don't inadvertently break any laws.  From what I have read they are far different from pa regulations.   Any suggestions are appreciated, and I wanted to let you know how great of a forum community you have here.  I have lost myself in all the posts for the last three days, my wife thinks I'm additicted to reading about Maine fishing now. 

If if any of you ever find your way to western pa I will gladly take you out for a day on the water.  I have a few honey holes that catch fish year round and know an extensive network of native streams (hard to find anymore in pa)

You could try st George it is stocked with trout if water level are good then should have fish

The St George will probably be a waste of time in July.  For the same reasons it's not good in PA.  You should let your wife shop and rent a vehicle just for yourself and go to either the West Branch of the Penobscot just below Ripogenus Lake/ Ripogenus Dam.  Go to Millinocket and follow the Golden rd.  Also, the **** on Moosehead Lake.  Go to Greenville and hang a left and go 10-15 miles.  Can't miss it.  Both of these are tail waters and and stay cool enough to fish through the summer since they flow from big deep lakes!  If you can't do that then just shop with your wife!  LOL  

****!  not sure why the ****

E a s t  O u t l e t   

Agree with Jack McD, but then I'm up here in mid-central Maine as well(Bangor)..  Even if you're stuck shopping you might wanna pick up a DeLorme State Atlas/Gazateer...  It'll give you more of an idea of just what the state looks like, stream/river/lake/pond-wise, rather than any average road map.

*Might wanna add choices of M.o.o.s.e R(@Brassua Dam...west of Rockwood) or R.o.a.c.h R(@Kokadjo).  Fwiw..the blackflies, in general, are driven back, somewhat,  into the woods by summer's heat and dragonflies by the time July 4th rolls around.

Honestly, your best bet is to hook up with a Striper guide in Camden and go fish for 1/2 day or longer. You're too far from any productive water in your time frame.

I'm from PA. My first trip to Maine was in the Camden area. We loved Maine so much that first trip we brought land in the down east area a year later. We stayed at a house on a pond that had bass. Not much around other than what Kevin recommended. I recommend hiring a guide and fish up north for the day. You'll get to experience what Maine has to offer for Salmon and brookies. That's my 2 cents... Hope you enjoy your trip.

I agree about the stripers I bet you don't get many of those in Western PA. I would personally pay good money to not be in Camden on 4th of July, but that's just me. Megunticook river in Camden is stocked and so is Medomak in Waldoboro... But if you want to actually have a Maine experience get the hell out of Camden and go North. Drop your wife off and take the car!

On 5/19/2017 at 8:13 AM, PA flyguy said:

I am making my first trip to Maine over the week of July 4th.  Having never been here I needed somebody guidance on a few things.  I am staying in Camden and my wife suggested I bring my fly rod with me so I can fish while she shops.  I have searched for good locals near Camden (it has to be close by as she will be dropping me off and then leaving).  By no means am I looking for private hotspots or secret locations (unless you want to share those) I'm just looking for some productive water so I can have a true Maine fly fishing experience.   In western pa it is hard to find water that holds fish into July so I didn't want to spend time on water where fish don't carry over or thrive natively. I would love to try and get into some larger browns or landlocked salmon but I'm just as happy stalking smaller trout.   I plan on stopping into a conservation officer office and checking on the regulations so I don't inadvertently break any laws.  From what I have read they are far different from pa regulations.   Any suggestions are appreciated, and I wanted to let you know how great of a forum community you have here.  I have lost myself in all the posts for the last three days, my wife thinks I'm additicted to reading about Maine fishing now. 

If if any of you ever find your way to western pa I will gladly take you out for a day on the water.  I have a few honey holes that catch fish year round and know an extensive network of native streams (hard to find anymore in pa)

The only way you will catch trout in Camden is if you hire a guide and troll megunticook lake for rainbows browns and Brookies. Megunticook river has all three but they are stocked and or stocked "wild" holdovers and a very small breeding population. The lake is your best bet for trout. Although megunticook river has lots of fun smallmouth bass 12 inch and under. You can also watch the rainbows not bite anything because the water is 90 degrees! 

Thanks guys.  I appreciate all the input.  I will covertly suggest a day trip to explore northern Maine a bit.   strippers would be a blast we have some small ones in one of our larger lakes but not too large of size.   I appreciate everything again you all are awesome for helping someone out of state

I doubt your wife would approve of strippers in Camden but begrudge you a day of fishing up north. But every marraige is unique. 

1 person likes this

At the rate the rain is falling and the mercury isn't rising this spring, I'd be willing to bet that you can find some browns (and hatches) on the Kennebec in the Madison / Skowhegan area and below Shawmut Dam near Fairfield.  Last spring was considerably warmer and drier, and there were spotted fishies to be had in early July.  Probably won't be big by PA standards (best measured in inches, rather than pounds), but you never know.  Real potential for some slab smallmouths; both respond to the same streamers.  Fairfield is an hour from Camden, Madison and Skowhegan about 90 mins.  Feel free to drop a line as time gets closer, and I can give you an update on conditions and bugs.

1 person likes this

On 5/22/2017 at 5:16 PM, igotbugs said:

I doubt your wife would approve of strippers in Camden but begrudge you a day of fishing up north. But every marraige is unique. 

Too funny.   She may not be opposed to those in Rockland, however!   ;-)    

Anyhow, just as an FYI, I'm far from being at the skill level of most on these boards, however, did want to advise you that some of the areas suggested are multiple hours from Camden.  You're talking a long day trip if going up and back and fishing for any period of time to make the journey worth it.  You would also want to ensure you have a properly equipped vehicle (truck, spares, etc) if fishing areas a significant distance down any of the logging roads. 

Wish you luck on your trip and hope you enjoy your stay.