plecain

That was fun.

13 posts in this topic

I caught my first striped bass on a fly this morning. 

Then I caught a couple dozen more.

The wind was pretty bad, but it didn't stop about 10-12 guys from fishing. Three with fly rods. The rest with spinning rods.

The largest one I caught was about 19". The largest I saw anybody catch (one of the fly guys) was about 25".

It was a lot of fun even on smaller fish. This could get seriously addicting when the fish get bigger. 

Congrats on the first striper.  

A late birthday present. My 70th was yesterday.

Now for a question. Does anyone pinch the barbs while striper fishing? Some of the barbed ones today were really hard to get out.

Way to go. same place i imagine. Not many pinch barbs because there can always be a thirty pounder out there amongst the little ones.

I have been pinching barbs for years.  You will lose fish with barbs and you will lose fish without barbs.  There is plenty of info on the web discussing the pros and cons of each so its really personal preference. As a beginner keep in mind barbless comes out of you or your clothes as easily as the fish ;)

Congrats on the striper and the birthday. Stripers are a lot of fun and yes can get very addicting. You will love it when they are in thick

Not all barbs are created equal - I crimp most Mustad's/Eagle Claw's if there are tons of Rats around. With Owner's/Gami's and the like - I don't. Unless I'm with the kids, in which case I crimp them all.

Welcome to the group of " Extraordinary Gentlemen " who chase the linesiders, relish the surf, and spend quite a bit of time sharing the experience. And welcome to the 70 and over club!;)

Like all good addicts, I went again today.

Fewer fish but the biggest was 25" compared to 19" yesterday. Getting there.

I used a sinking line. Not a sink tip, but a whole sinking line. I don't think I like those. It was very difficult to feel light hits. I know I missed quite a few hook sets because I felt them late. Do people use whole sinking lines or just sink tips?

The sinking line was an 11 wt. on an 11 wt. rod because that's what I had. Maybe the whole thing is just too heavy.

Great job getting out there and getting into some fish! I have yet to get out on the salt! 

When it comes to lines people mostly use 26' or 30' integrated sinking tip. As far as rod WT goes, an 8 or 9WT is most common with a lot of us making a switch to a switch/spay rods... So your 11wt will do but since you're already an addict just cut to the chase and get the optimal setup so you're not breaking your back ;)!

I see it two ways... you go through a progression, which is very interesting (and expensive) or you simply cut all the corners and just do what Alan does now.

On 5/19/2017 at 11:37 PM, aland said:

Not all barbs are created equal - I crimp most Mustad's/Eagle Claw's if there are tons of Rats around. With Owner's/Gami's and the like - I don't. Unless I'm with the kids, in which case I crimp them all.

Good idea when around kids, never thought of that! If/when I have my own I'll keep that in mind!

I use a 10wt a lot of the time. For a few reasons, I started on a 9wt that had an in hand weight of something like 3.9oz (total guesstimate). Got addicted after first time catching fish and shortly after found a 10wt that had an in hand weight of 3.7oz

so yes it is lighter in hand but of course throwing higher grains is more taxing on the arm.

I also use it for the wind. I went out with a friend who had an 8wt sage one. A nice fast action rod at that. He just couldn't get his flies out there due to wind. My 10 wt had no problems.

if my 9 was beefier I would probably use it more but I love my 10.

streamer express(now called "Sink 30 Warm") by SA is what I use mostly. It is a "full sink" technically but has a extra fast sinking head with intermediate running line. I found for myself personally that sink tip always brought my fly up when I wanted it deep. The intermediate running line doesn't do that for me. 

Plus I can fish crabs in 15' of water :D