Crown of Maine

Czech Nymphing

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried there hand at european or czech nymphing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Send a PM to "CZN". A lot of anglers in western Maine who I really respect say he is one of the best at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Swede said:

Send a PM to "CZN". A lot of anglers in western Maine who I really respect say he is one of the best at it.

Ive been doing it for a month now and was just wondering if others do it in maine and have any success

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have and do use that technique. It works well. I really like the straight leader no indicator form of nymphing anyways. Have to keep alert to takes but I think once you get the feel of it you get more hook ups than with indicators. There is a book Dynamic nymphing that covers many types of nymphing which is a very informative book

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, searsportshuffle said:

I have and do use that technique. It works well. I really like the straight leader no indicator form of nymphing anyways. Have to keep alert to takes but I think once you get the feel of it you get more hook ups than with indicators. There is a book Dynamic nymphing that covers many types of nymphing which is a very informative book

Ive noticed a huge difference in my catch rate. You feel way more takes as you are always in contact with your flies. Ive even caught a couple doubles. Im amazed at how well it works

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with what has been said, I haven't been keeping a log so I have no real data, but anecdotally I'd say my catch rate has really gone up and the thrill of feeling that subtle tug on your fly is very addicting. It doesn't work for every situation, especially when you're attempting to fish far into the river, but when you can use it I recommend it. I was very skeptical of it until one day beneath a cascade in western Maine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use it often, but as said above, the distance is limited but I mostly sight fish with it. I use it more like a drop shot set up with splitshot on the bottom so not to lose too many flies to snags. I will also use a bright colored fly like an egg pattern above the nymph so I can really see my drift and takes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im using an 11ft 3wt rod with like 20 ft of leader with a 2 ft section of sighter material connected to my tippet. I run a two fly rig with a heavy tungsten and lead wrap jig hook to help prevent snags. Not having the distance kind of stinks on bigger rivers but i was suprised the amount of fish i caught that were a rods length away

3 minutes ago, Seamonkey84 said:

I use it often, but as said above, the distance is limited but I mostly sight fish with it. I use it more like a drop shot set up with splitshot on the bottom so not to lose too many flies to snags. I will also use a bright colored fly like an egg pattern above the nymph so I can really see my drift and takes. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_1445%202.jpg

 

IMG_1446%202.jpg

 

Weighted with .015 lead wraps, slotted 2.8 mm tungsten beads.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am currently in Spain... I just watched a guy mop up the run from the other side of the river. He was using more of the Spanish/french version, with very small and less weighted nymphs. 

I did catch a single fish that was bigger than all of his combined, but he had a lot more action. 

They use Perdigon nymphs here. Very fast sink rate. 

He lost is rig and he spent about 20 Minutes and about 5 knots fixing it, I suspect there is some reason he wasn't using straight mono.  Interestingly, euros don't use ANY flouro  

my french or Spanish are not good enough to dig into the "why?" 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now