Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LaBonte207

There's still trout out there in So. ME

5 posts in this topic

I've been on a pretty heavy striper kick, but I took an evening to try for some trout. It was a nice relief casting a size 18 dry on a 3 wt. Caddis were hatching so i'm not one to go against mother nature.

IMG_1735.JPG

There are still plenty of trout to be had, I think timing is more crucial than fly selection though. 

GL

Nice brown.  Trout in so. Maine must be loving these cooler than average summer nights. The drought is more or less in the rear view window for now.

nice fish!

Bet that was fun on a 3wt!!  This year I've had a great time using 3/4wts...so much fun.

On 7/13/2017 at 10:41 PM, LaBonte207 said:

I've been on a pretty heavy striper kick, but I took an evening to try for some trout. It was a nice relief casting a size 18 dry on a 3 wt. Caddis were hatching so i'm not one to go against mother nature.

Nice catch!  Still somewhat new to fly-fishing overall and haven't targeted trout much, other than the occasional stocked pond.  Some of the pics guys post on the streams make me want to pursue them more frequently, including this one, seems like a greater challenge.  Congrats on a great brown.

I've been doing much the same, focused on salt with the great run this year.  Finally hit the freshwater and casting my 6 weight for smallies felt like I was simply moving my arm forward compared to tossing some of those topwater striper flies with my 9 weight.