Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AK Skim

Air - Lock Strike Indicators

14 posts in this topic

IMG_1450.jpg

I like to try new items out on the market. Some work, some work great, and others are a bust.

Hatch Magazine loved them and wants everyone to buy and use them.

At $8.00 for a package of 3, or $2.66 each they are on the very high side for strike indicators.

I purchased a few packages for my trip to the Great Smoky Mountains and used them on flat frog water, moving water, and narrow steep grade mountain stream water.

As nicely and simply as I can put it.

SAVE YOUR MONEY.

Stick with what you have been using.

Bobbers are cheaper and they don't need to be tied on!

1 person likes this

I don't ever throw real bobbers on my fly rod they are too heavy I like thingamobobbers or a big dry as a strike indicator. Thanks for the heads up. Look similar to a thingamobobber with a different way to connect it. 

Flynoob not all indicators need to be tied it's more of a loop connection that can be undone easily only real problem here generally is how much it will link your line once removed.

Most times I prefer the tight line style fishing as I like to feel the strikes instead of watch the indicator. Sometimes though you can get the control of your flys depth better when using a indicator which is s plus

1 person likes this

If you are a thingambobber user these are better as they so not kink or bend leader and are easy to to slide up and down the leader again without kinks. The only negative I see is if you drop and loose the little nut that tightens it to your leader. Easy on easy off. Small one cast easily and are very light

1 person likes this

SOOOO much better than the Thingamabobber! No more destroyed leaders. Easy adjustment / on & off.  They are not cheap and you do have to be careful not to lose the nut.

1 person likes this

Old School

DSCN5527.jpg

I like these "football" indicators. Easy to add to your line, easy to adjust depth, and they don't ruin your leader!

IMG_1049.JPG

1 person likes this

Recently attempted to try the Tosi leaders and two of the rubber inserts which lock it in place snapped prior to installing.  Fortunately, I bought them at Trident and they're backing up the product.  Looked like a good concept but I've heard mine is not the only experience like that.   Curious to see how the 2nd batch performs as I couldn't even get one on my line with the malfunctions.

1 person likes this

I prefer the air locks better on your leader

1 person likes this

I like them, work really well. Very durable too. As said above, just don't lose that little plastic nut :o;) 

1 person likes this

I like how little these kink the line, but find them a little less wind resistant than thingas. (In the larger sizes)

I have noticed over the past two seasons that Maxima leaders seem to resist kinking more than any other nylon or flouro I've tried. I fish a solid 80-100 full days a year and replaced only one nymphing leader (I use tippet rings) all last season. With Rio I used to burn through a dozen or more.

I was pleasantly surprised.

1 person likes this

Still no bobbers in my vest.

Ron

1 person likes this

I use the thingamabobbers when I use and indicator ..the ones I have are called Jamstop thingamabobbers ..little tapered peg that you jam into the hole ..no kinking of the leader ..works great

1 person likes this

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:39 PM, AK Skim said:

Old School

DSCN5527.jpg

I use the Lightning Strike egg shape only in various sizes. switch out the rubber for toothpicks and black out the bottom. For 6" trout to 18 lb. steelhead, great for mending and roll casting. Also have far less  line twist than thingabobber.

1 person likes this