Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Troutscout151

Blue halo glass

7 posts in this topic

Anyone own or spent any time casting a blue halo glass rod? I am thinking about adding a glass rod to the quiver. I was thinking of either a 3 weight for primarily casting dries or a 5 weight for a little bit of everything. Any other good glass companies?

Hey Troutscout,

The first thing your gonna want to do is head on over here and immerse yourself in all things glass  http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/

In regards to Blue Halo rods I think you'll find that they have a truly massive social media presence but in general the overall fiberglass community gives them a big giant…..meh.  But they do come in an array of colors thats for sure.

I mean for almost 300 dollars(400 if you want that no fault warranty…which is a load of BS if you ask me!) you could have a Orvis Superfine Glass instead which is a truly great production rod in that same price range and made 100% in Vermont as well.

But if your still thinking about glass but not really sure if you'll like it or not I would seriously consider looking at the C.G.R or the one piece Prime glass rods offered from Cabelas.  They are always on sale for around 60 bucks and for that price you could pick up both a 3wt and a 5wt and still you woulda only spent half as much for a blue halo rod with NO warranty…. You may be thinking…how good can it be for such a short amount of money?   Well pretty damn good!  Do a search on them, you won't be disappointed in what you find.  I've personally got 3 of them!  I still fish them just as much as some my more expensive boutique glass rods and I have just as much fun.

The next bump up in price leads you to Echo, those retail for around 200 dollars or so and they have a ton of choices as far as models go.  Decent rod for the money. 

After that you've got a ton of options, as it seems just about everyone is offering a glass rod in some form at this point.  Heres a pretty complete list of whats out there today.

http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/p/rod-shops.html

1 person likes this

There are a ton of companies as you can see on the list. I just picked up a couple of Steffen Brothers rods. Great rods and a reasonable price. Never heard a bad comment about their rods. Do a search on the fiberglass site Swamptrout mentioned.

Swamp trout and igloo, thank you for the info. I will do some digging around on the manifesto website. I almost didn't beleive you and then I checked the cabela's website and the prime is online for $70!! As far as matching a line to the rod is there glass specific lines or is it as simple as picking your favorite line in whichever taper in the correct weight as you would on a graphite rod?

6 hours ago, Troutscout said:

Swamp trout and igloo, thank you for the info. I will do some digging around on the manifesto website. I almost didn't beleive you and then I checked the cabela's website and the prime is online for $70!! As far as matching a line to the rod is there glass specific lines or is it as simple as picking your favorite line in whichever taper in the correct weight as you would on a graphite rod?

All of the Cabelas glass rods are true to line weight, they aren't picky, any line should do.

As always Scott has the best glass but I bought the boys the Echo glass 3 weights, fun rod

I have two of the c.g.r a 3 and the 5/6 wt. the 5/6 casts much better with a 6wt line and I use double taper on both.