AK Skim

FLY FISHING BUCKET LIST

22 posts in this topic

Do you have a fly fishing destination bucket list?

I don't think I ever had one until couple of months ago while watching Youtube and Atlantic Salmon fishing in Iceland.

Few weeks ago I asked my brother, "You ever been to Iceland?"

Check out Argentina's brook trout fishing online or on the 2016 fly fishing film tour. Seemed odd to me at first. But it is epic!

1 person likes this

For me it's not really about specific location as much as the species in their native habitat. My dreams would be salmon/steelhead fishing in the Pacific North west, or for true Atlantic salmon just about anywhere.  I know that there's steelhead and king salmon in the great lakes, but that just doesn't seem like it would be the same.

Then again, I prob wouldn't know what to do if I ever get a fish that big on the end of my line. The two biggest salmon I've caught so far were in the 20-24" range, and still kind of a rookie at this, it felt like buck fever as soon as I set the hook and knew it wasn't just another average brookie. 

1 person likes this

I do and I've been checking some off my list as I've gone on around the world for work.  The ones I've done already are:

Fished the Firehole in Yellowstone 

Cutthroats in Rocky Mountain NP

22"+ Trout on the Dream Stream

Penn's Creek Browns 

Still to go:

Tarpon in the Caribbean

Chalk Streams of England

Marble Trout in Slovinia 

Arctic Charr in Labrador 

The Bow River In Banff NP

Arctic Grayling in Alaska 

New Zealand Browns

Taimen in Outer Mongolia 

And hopefully one day Sea Run Atlantic Salmon at home in Maine  

2 people like this

I'm 72 and I've lived my list. Many on the list several times.

Labrador for Brookies

Labrador for Atlantics

Bahamas for Bonefish

The Heney's Fork

Madison

Missouri

Firehole

Lamar

Soda Butte

Slough

Yellowstone

Gardiner

Green

San Juan

Miramichi

West Branch

R.oach

E.ast Outlet

M.oose

A. ndro

Yellow Britches

Live yours.

1 person likes this

I don't really travel to fish. I travel and then I fish when I'm there.

Been to some cool places and caught some cool fish in Greenland, Iceland, Russia, Patagonia, New Zealand.....

One thing I have always wanted to do is to get on a Long Range Sportfishing boat in San Diego, like the Excel or the Red Rooster, and fish for 18 to 21 days off Baja for stand up Yellowfin Tuna, Wahoo, etc. 

1 person likes this

Russia for salmon.

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, mesurfer2000 said:

I do and I've been checking some off my list as I've gone on around the world for work.  The ones I've done already are:

Fished the Firehole in Yellowstone 

Cutthroats in Rocky Mountain NP

22"+ Trout on the Dream Stream

Penn's Creek Browns 

Still to go:

Tarpon in the Caribbean

Chalk Streams of England

Marble Trout in Slovinia 

Arctic Charr in Labrador 

The Bow River In Banff NP

Arctic Grayling in Alaska 

New Zealand Browns

Taimen in Outer Mongolia 

And hopefully one day Sea Run Atlantic Salmon at home in Maine  

Now that is an impressive list.

On 8/12/2017 at 10:59 AM, Seamonkey84 said:

For me it's not really about specific location as much as the species in their native habitat. My dreams would be salmon/steelhead fishing in the Pacific North west, or for true Atlantic salmon just about anywhere.  I know that there's steelhead and king salmon in the great lakes, but that just doesn't seem like it would be the same.

Then again, I prob wouldn't know what to do if I ever get a fish that big on the end of my line. The two biggest salmon I've caught so far were in the 20-24" range, and still kind of a rookie at this, it felt like buck fever as soon as I set the hook and knew it wasn't just another average brookie. 

You are correct in my opinion as far as location and species.

I have hooked into salmon in Alaska, British Columbia, Steelhead in BC and Oregon, other than the scenery and the number of fishermen around me, there is no difference in catching a salmon (chinook & coho)  or steelhead in Pulaski, NY.

My lists have a lot more to do with Scenery and Cultural experiences, then they have to do with fish.  I've been lucky to have caught a lot of fish, and a big enough one of each species, that I don't need to chase something bigger, just because it is bigger.  

That said, I would love to see the mountains and/or rivers of northern canada, patagonia, new zealand, and Iceland.  

1 person likes this

There are many places I'd like to go but realistically, I won't get there (ex. New Zealand).

My list of what I'd like to catch:

golden trout

grayling

bonefish

I will be very happy to fish Maine in hopes of someday getting a brook trout upwards to 20".

1 person likes this

So far:

Maine (early-late 60s)

Battenkill R.(both NY &VT sides) late 60s-early 80s

A few NYS streams/rivers: in the Catskills, mid-central NY and ADKs (early-mid 70s)

Henry's Fork(Ranch and Box Canyon sections) 2 trips(4 days ea) - early 70s

Initially Forgot:

Traveled through PA southward in 2005 and tried to find the Letort but didn't.  A lot of traffic and I didn't do my homework with directions so I ended up just passing though.

Hopefuls List:

Initially Forgot:  Russian Rainbows and Salmon...several big rivers.

Labrador Brooktrout

Alaskan Rainbows

maybe some Steelhead somewhere in BC

A Bonefish vacation sounds nice...

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Bigspencer said:

Henry's Fork(Ranch and Box Canyon sections) 2 trips(4 days ea) - early 70s

Curious how it fished in the 70's. In the 80's it was excellent, but in the  90's it had serious silt problems below the dam and weed problems throughout the river. 10 years ago (my last trip) things were still difficult. However recent reports indicate fishing is great once again. I plan to return in the near future. Wading is excellent there, especially for older folks, and a trip down the box can be fantastic. Rene Harrop's Trouthunter's on the river is a fantastic flyshop, restaurant, and inn. Highly recommended. 

Interesting note. In the 80's The Box Canyon was the place we first saw someone nymphing with an indicator. They were balloons blown up to the size of tennis balls, necessary to float the size 2-4 stonefly imitations needed for big, big Browns. Not necessary to say we were astonished, shocked and impressed. Came home looking for indicators.

1 person likes this

Realistic bucket list- **** river, red brook, Farmington river , mattawamkeag and maybe the south Holston those rivers down there with big browns 

2 people like this

My bucket list...

Ireland, Scotland and Russia  for Atl Salmon

Montana Cutthroats

New Zealand Browns

Bahamas for Bonefish

Alaska

The only big one already checked off for me is Tarpon in the Keys, which I very luckily get to do every May..

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, dryflie said:

Curious how it fished in the 70's.

dryflie,

You sure have gotten around...impressive list.

Was very good but as I vaguely recall...it was just getting turned around...  I don't think it was at the level of a few years later...size-wise and numbers.  A lot of 8"-14" fish.

1 person likes this

Gordon Castle beat, River Spey, Scotland for Atlantic salmon

River Moy, Ireland for Atlantic salmon followed by a pint in a pub with my waders still on

Margaree River, Nova Scotia, for Atlantic salmon followed by a dram of local double malt and a foot stompin', roof raisin' ceilidh (two out of three this year....maybe all three next)

Kennebec, Androscoggin, 'Nob, for an honest 4+ pound river smallmouth (been chasing that unicorn for almost 25 years)

OR/WA/ID/BC for a dry fly steelhead of 15 pounds

The Smith, John Day, or Deschutes for a multi day camp-fish-float with just my wife and a reasonably well behaved dog

1 person likes this

On 8/13/2017 at 10:10 AM, Mainiac said:

Russia for salmon.

+1.  Before they're all gone too.  

1 person likes this

My bucket list is that we do all we can to preserve and bring back some iconic fish just in our own state.  I want my grandkids to be able to chase big brook trout in the same way that I'm able to.  With all the talks of mines, money and dams, I don't know what the future holds.  Fish while you can, where you can and enjoy every minute of it.  No matter how bad the black flies get!

1 person likes this

Labrador and God's River (Manitoba) for brookies. 

After reading the recent article on it, an unexplored river near Hudson Bay (yet to be chosen) for sea-run brookies.

Atlantic Canada for Atlantic salmon (sadly, despite the proximity, I've never done this).

Scotland just because.

Northern Canada (Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, northern Quebec, or northern Labrador) for arctic char.

One of the six ponds in Maine known to harbor arctic char (bucket list is catching one since fishing them is the easy part).

Alaska for those "other" salmon. :lol:

Kootenay River in BC for bull trout (I've caught cutthroats there, but not bulls).

Patagonia and New Zealand just because.

Japan for yamame and amago (both trout species) and iwana (char).

Siberia just because.

1 person likes this

Good list Ian.  Well, except Siberia.

Sad part is before I fly fished I spent a ton of time on Andros Island...and lived in Hawaii 13 years (bigger bonefish than in the Bahamas).  And been to Japan 30-40 times...and Scotland...lots of missed opportunities.

1 person likes this

I am working on going to Belize in the next year or two

1 person likes this