Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RAW

Sucked!

11 posts in this topic

Woke up under the weather,Fished 5;30 to 7;30  tough wind, one dink. Went to photo my dink catch with rod and expensive cigars $)&Y_)*____  Cigar fell in the water,:o  Think my old skeletal system needs a break. My 5 time repaired knee looks like a balloon  tire, back  is yakking, and shoulder is barking.   Surf guys )spinning) with waves breaking over their heads again had a great morning.

Didn't do so hot yesterday either. Still some had lick. Dejan got a wicked fat 35 incha.

I'd say that the past three days have treated me better than the past two weeks combined. Fished a solid blitz of bunkers from about 5:15 pm to around 6:10 pm. While it didn't last very long, I was able to pull in a few mid-twenty inch fish and missed probably ten or so others. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the "fall run" usually get sparked by shorter photolight periods and not water temperature? Or, could everything just be pushed back since we really don't get fall weather in the beginning of October any longer? I'm new to this whole Maine salt thing, so I'm just spitballing here, but I've certainly seen hatches on trout streams start much earlier the past three or four years than years prior to that. Could this be the case for striper migration as well? 

Good possibility Ftyer. Would explain the non- exsistent September run.

That's sort of what I was thinking as well. Like I said, I'm quite new to all of this, but I've seen a positive upswing in action just over the past few days...maybe I just found a lucky penny, though.

No. You're using your observation skills. That is of major importance in any endeavor but especially so in striper fishing. Stripers, like any migratory animal usually follow a predictable progression of the southern migration. The last few years it's been a little late (mid-late September instead of the first of September), this year it's a month later or better. Why ?

No ****in' idea ! :unsure:

Could be due to global warming. Could be due to algae blooms. Could be they just don't feel like moving ! Drive ya nuts trying to figure it out.

I lkie your attitude and overall appreciation of the sport I love. Welcome to the insanity Brother .:lol:

I really appreciate the kind words, Mainiac--I've read a decent bit of your contributions here, and it's really awesome to see that dedication and appreciation. Obsessing over fishing is pretty easy for me, but this striper thing is something else; it keeps me up at night and has been consuming a lot of my time, whether just thinking, at the vise, or on the water, but there are definitely worse things.

Very good point about observation as well. I haven't fished much from a boat, but I feel like wade fishing affords you a good deal of idle observation, which I appreciate. Even though this is all pretty new and exciting, it's more about observation for me anyway. I probably spend as much time fishing with my eyes as I do my rod and it's not always about the fish.

And while I don't want to sway the original topic of this post or raise any flags, I could see global warming having some degree of impact here. I don't know Maine's weather all that well yet, but wet wading in almost the middle of October doesn't seem totally normal; I can remember getting snow with some regularity before the last week of October maybe ten years ago. I haven't seen that for a good few years. Who knows though, I guess anything could happen.

Haven’t fished since June when fishing was hot so I went down to flats on Sunday thinking to say goodbye to stripers as they migrate south. And sure it still seemed hot as my first cast resulted in a pretty good fish. In the next several hours I managed dozen of fish that varied in size dramatically. That has to be a good sign! I met Mal and Tim and they weren’t too impressed by fishing that day. 

This has been an interesting year of fishing for sure but in general It feels to me that fishing has improved compared to few years back. Shore fishing can be off and on dramatically because we can’t really cover that much of water while fish movement may vary from year to year. I’ve heard from multiple people who go out with boats that this was a stellar year for them due to numbers and varying sizes of fish caught. 

Anyways, I’ll probably call it quits as far as stripers go to finish up on a high :)! 

CC4C56C1-5968-4197-BAFB-234E4DC8FF95.jpeg

Wow, what a nice fish and a great way to end the season!B)

Alan great job that's a beauty. Hope to see you next spring out there

22 hours ago, alas said:

Haven’t fished since June when fishing was hot so I went down to flats on Sunday thinking to say goodbye to stripers as they migrate south. And sure it still seemed hot as my first cast resulted in a pretty good fish. In the next several hours I managed dozen of fish that varied in size dramatically. That has to be a good sign! I met Mal and Tim and they weren’t too impressed by fishing that day. 

This has been an interesting year of fishing for sure but in general It feels to me that fishing has improved compared to few years back. Shore fishing can be off and on dramatically because we can’t really cover that much of water while fish movement may vary from year to year. I’ve heard from multiple people who go out with boats that this was a stellar year for them due to numbers and varying sizes of fish caught. 

Anyways, I’ll probably call it quits as far as stripers go to finish up on a high :)! 

CC4C56C1-5968-4197-BAFB-234E4DC8FF95.jpeg

Very nice, a great closing to an  awesome year in numbers