Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kevin McKay

do you fall for "the best"

13 posts in this topic

for some reason this has been catching my eye" the best wine" "the best fly shop" the best guide""the best fly rod" and so on

really? what do they think they are the best? isn't it the judgment of the individual ?

Do you fall for it? does it make you want to purchase that product?

Maybe, sometimes, not really. How's that for a clear answer?:P

From a business/marketing perspective, who would advertise their product or business as the  most mediocre or "worst"? I know I don't go looking for bad guides, fly rods, waders , etc. Yes, "best" can be very subjective and what you consider the "best" might be not the best for me. So when I read or hear something is the best I kind of take it with a grain of salt until I can do more research or talk to people who have used product. If I'm buying bathroom caulk or left handed metric screws I might find what's labeled or advertised as the best and just go with it. 

I can't always afford "the best" nor do I always want "the best."  However, there are certain things - daycare for my child, an item I plan to use frequently or own for a long time - which I think most of us would either want or enjoy "the best".  When sourcing these goods or services I don't believe the company's own slogan.  I like to conduct a little research about what may make "the best" of a particular class of product/service and determine which products meet that criteria and my typical preference.  If the item's cost is significant and/or if I'm not as knowledgeable as I'd like to be about the product's application or the criteria which makes something the best, I'll ask around to those with experience.  It's one of the reasons why I migrate to these boards.  

Nice job putting out a few topics to get people thinking / spur some dialogue.

I try to ask my self the same question every time I'm about to make a significant purchase:

If I buy this, what will I be able to do better than if I didn't buy it?

Take tools for example. Snap-On makes some specialty tools that are absolutely needed for certain jobs. Nobody else makes them. They cost a bunch, but they work. Without those tools, some jobs would be next to impossible.

For ordinary use, I don't generally buy Snap-On. Lots of other brands work fine.

I buy high-end fishing equipment usually. But, I have an aversion to MSRP. I usually buy them when they're about to be replaced in the product line. That line of thinking applies to lots of things - cameras, TVs, etc.

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, plecain said:

I try to ask my self the same question every time I'm about to make a significant purchase:

If I buy this, what will I be able to do better than if I didn't buy it?

Take tools for example. Snap-On makes some specialty tools that are absolutely needed for certain jobs. Nobody else makes them. They cost a bunch, but they work. Without those tools, some jobs would be next to impossible.

For ordinary use, I don't generally buy Snap-On. Lots of other brands work fine.

I buy high-end fishing equipment usually. But, I have an aversion to MSRP. I usually buy them when they're about to be replaced in the product line. That line of thinking applies to, lots of things - cameras, TVs, etc.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Have ascribed to this theory for many years. I've been married almost 40 years.....used this way of thinking then and have no regrets. 

Ron

I am easily satisfied with the very best.

Winston S. Churchill

1 person likes this

I can't stress how great snap on hand tools are! I use them every day of my life and to make a living. There is a difference. Not all of my tools are snap on I actually prefer mac or ingersoll air tools and Milwaukee Cordless tools. Which everyone should check out because Milwaukee is doing big things in the battery tool world! I guess I got side tracked.... oh yeah fishing.

what got me thinking is I have been seeing it but came across a guide  web page in Montana and it said they were the best Montana guide:blink:

yes I do like the finer things just can't always justify buying them

The best?  That's marketing hype unless proven otherwise...  I like some of the finer things and can justify them as luxury items for personal pleasure and gratification.  In retail or services best value for my needs is what I consider.  I always have to  weigh wants and needs on a "how serious am I" scale.  

1 hour ago, Kevin McKay said:

yes I do like the finer things just can't always justify buying them

What you said. I have champagne taste with a beer pocketbook!

1 person likes this

Buy the best you can afford. That's what I do.

I often say that we grew up poor but just didn't know it. My mother went college while I was in middle school, she graduated and entered the workforce as a 2nd income while I was in high school, it was then that I noted a definite change in our standard of living.

One thing that never changed and was instilled in me growing up by both of my parents was don't buy the cheapest new item out there just to have something. Save your money and buy something nice and take care of it well and it will likely bring you years of enjoyment.

Like others have said, much depends on the item and it's intended purpose.

I will often go without things I desire for extended periods of time while researching and saving to acquire the item.

Often times that may mean catching a sale, using coupons or buying a higher end item slightly used.

Sixguns

Agree with a lot of the guys....the marketing phrase can get me to study an item in depth sometimes, however it doesn't constantly tug on my wallet-hand,  in fact it's kind of fun to think up very inexpensive alternatives that'll accomplish the very same goal...if needed.  One enjoyable spin-off of growing up middle-class is that going without things doesn't bother me in the least.