Mainiac

Wasn't going to hunt this year.

17 posts in this topic

For the first time in five decades I did not have the urge to hunt. Most of that feeling was from ending a long striper season with beat up knees and sore leg muscles. That and with not having steady work my guilt at not working puts me down.

That all came to a screeching halt last Saturday morning when I heard the first distant gun shot. I'd been working in the yard picking up leaves when I heard the shot. My mind instantly took me on a fifty year rewind of hunting adventures gone by.

First I remembered my first buck ,taken at age eight. A little button buck that looked like an elephant in size to an eight year old when it came tearing down a well used game trail just outside an apple orchard in Leeds Maine. I killed that deer at a range of twenty feet with a load of OObuck from my single shot twelve gauge.

Next my memory brought me to my first season in Jackman. Dad and I built a camp there the summer of my senior year in high school. Dad even let me take the last two weeks of November off to go hunting. He had friends he worked with for years come up and to be a part of that group gave me the chance to become a part of that fraternity and did a lot towards me becoming a man. Hunting the north woods is an experience every serious hunter should try. Back then in the seventies the Jackman area was nearly pristine as clear cutting had yet to begin. We chased huge bucks that dwell on the tops of the mountains. I'll remember that November until my eyes close for the last time.

I continued to reminisce for a good while, reliving past glory and failure in the woods. Great times, all. I must have let my mind wander a good while as the wife gave me a shot to the ribs with a rake for loafin'. Back to reality I realized that hunting had a lot to do with molding my character as a decent man and felt very fortunate to have had such wonderful experiences.

Monday morning I was first in line at the town clerks office to get my hunting license. Looking forward to woodland adventures to come.

Good story.

Best of luck in the woods this fall.

I had all but given up deer hunting a while back, as I enjoy waterfowling much more for the most part. That changed as my daughter got older and expressed an interesti in pursuing the elusive whitetail. It's been a slow start this year, but the interest is back...so much so that I even bought another rifle this year.

21 hours ago, Mainiac said:

For the first time in five decades I did not have the urge to hunt. Most of that feeling was from ending a long striper season with beat up knees and sore leg muscles. That and with not having steady work my guilt at not working puts me down.

That all came to a screeching halt last Saturday morning when I heard the first distant gun shot. I'd been working in the yard picking up leaves when I heard the shot. My mind instantly took me on a fifty year rewind of hunting adventures gone by.

First I remembered my first buck ,taken at age eight. A little button buck that looked like an elephant in size to an eight year old when it came tearing down a well used game trail just outside an apple orchard in Leeds Maine. I killed that deer at a range of twenty feet with a load of OObuck from my single shot twelve gauge.

Next my memory brought me to my first season in Jackman. Dad and I built a camp there the summer of my senior year in high school. Dad even let me take the last two weeks of November off to go hunting. He had friends he worked with for years come up and to be a part of that group gave me the chance to become a part of that fraternity and did a lot towards me becoming a man. Hunting the north woods is an experience every serious hunter should try. Back then in the seventies the Jackman area was nearly pristine as clear cutting had yet to begin. We chased huge bucks that dwell on the tops of the mountains. I'll remember that November until my eyes close for the last time.

I continued to reminisce for a good while, reliving past glory and failure in the woods. Great times, all. I must have let my mind wander a good while as the wife gave me a shot to the ribs with a rake for loafin'. Back to reality I realized that hunting had a lot to do with molding my character as a decent man and felt very fortunate to have had such wonderful experiences.

Monday morning I was first in line at the town clerks office to get my hunting license. Looking forward to woodland adventures to come.

Thanks Mal. I wasn't going to hunt this year, knee and leg problems also, until I saw your mention of mountain bucks. My ringer-dinger went off.

So yesterday evening about fifteen minutes before legal time ends, and here I am face to face with a real nice buck. I was headed out of the woods and not being particularly stealthy.:rolleyes: I rounded a large clump of evergreens and was watching my step with my head down.

"SNORT", oh **** !  Thirty feet away looking my straight in the eye. It was a showdown. His blinding speed and agility against my hands in pockets ,gun slung draw ! Ya, we all know who won that contest. No matter. Now I now where this big fella beds and his scrape route too boot. I'll get him.

1 hour ago, Mainiac said:

So yesterday evening about fifteen minutes before legal time ends, and here I am face to face with a real nice buck. I was headed out of the woods and not being particularly stealthy.:rolleyes: I rounded a large clump of evergreens and was watching my step with my head down.

"SNORT", oh **** !  Thirty feet away looking my straight in the eye. It was a showdown. His blinding speed and agility against my hands in pockets ,gun slung draw ! Ya, we all know who won that contest. No matter. Now I now where this big fella beds and his scrape route too boot. I'll get him.

Good luck Mal. Keep us informed. Hope to see a picture of one big mother________.

Ron

That is the spirit...the chess game has begun and that is half the fun! 

Sixguns

Come Tuesday it's supposed to cool right off (highs in 40's) . Timing is right on with the start of the rut here. Should be a good week to sit on them scrapes.

Slid into a favorite blind around 1000. Just wanted to get a new and comfortable chair there. Figured they'd be bedded and the warm ,wet weather was perfect for being quiet. I also thought that the rain coming this evening would wash away any scent I made.

Gonna be there by 0500. About an hour before legal. I want to let my entrance to be forgotten. I'll sit until 1000. Unless I have activity, which I expect. I have good reason to be optimistic as upon returning to the car I came across a scrape in the trail I took in that weren't there when I walked in. Will report.

Sat until noon. Saw one doe at about 0930.

Seen a lot of deer this year. I bow hunt out your way mal in some expanded zone woods on the way to you most notorious fishing spot. I got a 130 lb doe on oct 2 across the street from my house because I love venison and needed to put some in the freezer. I friend of mines father shot a 280lb buck up in the Greene area, a friggen monstah lol. I wish I had that walk by my stand. I am still trying for another in the expanded zones. I am sure you will get one. I know a area near you where there are some big deer but it’s just outside the expanded zone so I can’t hunt it again until next year. If you get one and need help dragging/transport give me a call I would be glad to help I am sure you knees won’t like a solo drag. 

Good luck mal 

if I don’t see you before next spring I will definitely see you on the water

Thanks Adam !

Didn't see anything today, which I thought strange. Good movin' weather and they are already rutting. 

I've been sitting in a big scrape area. Fourteen scrapes in about a three hundred yard circle around some really nasty cover. Sooner or later ......

Have to find new area. Tree harvesters and skidders arrived in my hunting spot yesterday.:(

Bummer. Sorry to hear that Mal.

This past weekend was the start of our season. It was in the single digits with a Northwest wind. Burr! Sat there all day. Saw one deer. Nothing on Sunday. But did find a place where the bucks have been rubbing trees with their antlers. We had a good time at camp with 4 good friends. After a day in cold weather and then a warm camp and some good food the lights went out early. :D

Sorry Maniac, that stinks! Hope that you have a plan B spot to keep the fire in your belly burning.

When I moved down to Central Maine from Aroostook County back in 97, I spent years trying to find like minded hunting partners and to secure access to property that would allow me to hunt.

Once found, hold on tight, treat the landowner well, share the bounty and remember to drop off a card and a small thoughtful gift at Christmas as a thank you for use of their land. I found helping run fence wire works too, I am too old to throw hay bales. :unsure:

I was so tired of expanded archery spots with a dozen hunters all tripping over each other.

Having tagged out on my rifle buck opening day, I am back to expanded archery, tutoring the grandson and chasing coyote's.

If we get a morning or two that my "go to" streams are not frozen, I will chase a few more ducks as well. 

Life spent outdoors is so much better, it is my church. I tell my wife that when I am up in a tree stand, I am 20 feet closer to God. :D

Sixguns

Speaking of ducks, I snuck up on three woodies yesterday. My new spot is in a heavily hunted area near Bidfid. There is a medium sized stream running through part of it. It's slow moving an lined with oaks. The two drakes were absolutely stunning in their full fall plumage.

This new area is kind of unique and thats why I chose it. Though the majority of the area is hunted hard nobody crosses the stream to reach the sizeable piece of heavy cover found there. Of course I just threw on some hip boots and crossed right over. The cover is a mixture of fir, alder and high grassy bushes, perfect bedding cover. I found a dozen rubs and twice as many scrapes along the edge of the heaviest cover. 

Spent yesterday afternoon constructing a simple one man temporary bridge that can be hauled up behind me after I cross.;) I'm putting it in today after the morning googans head out for lunch. I've already selected three stand sights to take advantage of wind and sun. Brushed up some blinds there and will let the entire area rest until next week. then come Monday I'll slide in pre-dawn and hopefully harvest the nice buck that calls that little spot home. I made a wide swing around the area and found not a single boot track, beer can (it is Biddeford after all) or other sign of human trespass. The big ole buck that hangs out there must feel pretty smug on his choice of undisturbed paradise. he'll look real good on my game pole.

Friggin' rain raised the brook three feet. Took out my bridge and made wading across not possible. WTF !!!