Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StrippinStreamahs

Lets Talk Hooks

7 posts in this topic

Maybe this belongs in the tying section, but i'm talking just big saltwater hooks.  Last year I experimented with types of hooks (ease of hookset, strength, fish holding ability) and am starting to get an idea of what ones I like and what I don't. I see a lot of people using the Gami SL12S for crabs and I love the ease of set and holding ability of those hooks, so I started to use the larger sizes (4/0-6/0) for my larger 8"+ flies.  The only complaint is that I have with those for larger flies is the short shank.  What do you guys like to tie larger flies on  and why? Also looking for recommendations for quality saltwater jig hooks. 

Gamakatsu 5/0 spinnerbait is a great long shank hook for stripers. I will say I try to use long shank hooks sparingly on stripers though, more leverage to pull the hook.  

Daiichi 2546 is a killer striper hook in all sizes. 

I am not a fan of jig hooks, but gamakatsu, partridge, and eagle claw all make a good jig hook for stripers.  

I have noticed that the larger, longer shank hooks tend to come loose more than others, I guess I am looking for something inbetween long shank and the SL12s.I have just been using big game shanks to get length, but I find that I have a harder time getting materials to sit evenly on those.  I know theres been a surge of popularity with those ahrex hooks, but I am not completely convinced.  Friends in the industry have told me they just use social media platforms very well to increase their popularity, but aren't necessarily as solid as they come off, anyone have experience with those?

James what makes you stay away from jig hooks? Ive seen some crabs tied on them so I naturally got curious, but I have not had any problems with that SL12s for crabs either. 

3 hours ago, StrippinStreamahs said:

I have noticed that the larger, longer shank hooks tend to come loose more than others, I guess I am looking for something inbetween long shank and the SL12s.I have just been using big game shanks to get length, but I find that I have a harder time getting materials to sit evenly on those.  I know theres been a surge of popularity with those ahrex hooks, but I am not completely convinced.  Friends in the industry have told me they just use social media platforms very well to increase their popularity, but aren't necessarily as solid as they come off, anyone have experience with those?

James what makes you stay away from jig hooks? Ive seen some crabs tied on them so I naturally got curious, but I have not had any problems with that SL12s for crabs either. 

Big game shanks are oblong, that's why your material sits different. Make your own shank by cutting the bend of a light wire stainless hook. Or try a 80# mono extension you might like that more. Or, I know this can be challenging, but make your flies long on a shorter shank by sourcing excellent long material. You don't need an extension or shank to get an 8" fly if you have legit 7" deer tail.

Ahrex may improve over time, but your industry friends hit the nail on the head. Those hooks are straight junk. Amazing what some people will say if you send em a free pack of hooks. Social Media is turning this sport into the blind leading the blind leading the blind....

As for jig hooks, I think it's just a personal bias. I've tied on em and fished them for crabs and lobster. I found no advantage to them. Disadvantages were that they are heavier, they grabbed weeds and Eel grass, and I think they look stupid. I've had such consistently excellent results with the crab pot on SL12S that it's hard for me to want to tinker with that program at all. 

1 person likes this

The good old crab pot has got to be one of the top striper flies around thanks James for your creations 

On 11/10/2017 at 6:16 AM, theflyguy said:

The good old crab pot has got to be one of the top striper flies around thanks James for your creations 

Thanks Adam, and thanks for helping to spread the word. Have you tried my Little Mule?  Also on SL12S, it has been one of my top producers every season since 2010. 

I am not sure if I have. You guys sell it at Eldridge? If so I probably have it or have had it. I will ace to try it if I haven’t. That crab though has produced for me really well.