Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TaylorMade8

Bugs

7 posts in this topic

Fished a few ponds in the past few weeks and noticed a lot of fish rising in the shallows. Nothing visually hatching but they were being picky. Tried streamers and got a few fish. My question is what insects are hatching/ available to these fish as we get closer to the freeze over? 

Emergers most likely. A lot of the ponds I've been fishing lately have been having hex hatches believe it or not.

FB_IMG_1509988154301.jpg

Chironomids (midges) will be active in still water until it freezes over.

12 hours ago, Aldo said:

Chironomids (midges) will be active in still water until it freezes over.

And they make up a HUGE part of a stillwater trouts diet.

Fish were super keyed in this evening with a lot of activity on the top. Hundreds of rises the hour or so I was there, what particular bug is hatching this time of year? Varries from pond to pond? Just want to be prepared! Pretty exciting seeming them work the top like that 

take a fish tank net and run it threw the water column, you might find what they are feeding on

On 11/12/2017 at 9:52 PM, TaylorMade8 said:

Fish were super keyed in this evening with a lot of activity on the top. Hundreds of rises the hour or so I was there, what particular bug is hatching this time of year? Varries from pond to pond? Just want to be prepared! Pretty exciting seeming them work the top like that 

The same pond I've been seeing hexes on had a hatch of small mayflys on Sunday, couldn't tell what specific type they were but they were small. There's a good chance though that what you're seeing is midges. Fish an emerger IN the film and you should be all set

1 person likes this