what about you?

inmproved clinch: http://www.animatedknots.com/improvedclinch/index.php#Movie

surgeons loop: http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeonsloop/index.php

blood knot:http://www.animatedknots.com/bloodknot/index.php

allbright:http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php

clinch & improved clinch for tippet-to-fly

double surgeons for leader-to-tippet & tippet-to-tippet

nail knot for fly line-to-leader or backing-to-fly line

only knots I use ever.  never tried the blood knot or any of the "loop" knots for flies.  Have always thought about using the surgeons loop for streamers but never got around to it. 

Line to leader - Nail knot. Sometimes Albright.

Tapered leader sections - blood knot. Haven't had much luck with double surgeon's.

Leader to tippet ring - single or double Davy. Single Davy on fluorocarbon doesn't work ever for me.

Tippet ring to tippet - single or double Davy.

Tippet to fly - single or double Davy.

I use all the ones mentioned, and also the double Uni for big game. 

Blood,Surgeons, Loop,  Pitzen, Perfection and Figure Eight.  

Do you guys really tie blood knots on the water for leader/tippet to tippet? Seems impossible to me, double surgeons is wayyyy easier IMO and i haven't had a fish break a double surgeons knot in years.  Just gotta lubricate it and make sure it doesn't slip.  Then again i almost never fish tippet under 5x.  

Clinch and improved clinch, double surgeon's and perfection. 

My hat is off to those who regularly tie the blood knot. I would never get any fishing done if I used that for leaders and tippets.  I watched twenty videos of people tying that know with ease and looked at 100 knot tying diagrams but I just can't get it done with small leader material.  

1 person likes this

TightlinesMaine,Upperandy and those having a hard time with the blood knot.  

This may help somewhat as I have watched folks struggle with this knot.  

As you tie material of different diameters together pay attention to which diameter material you start winding around first.  Always wrap the largest tippet material around the smaller piece you are adding onto !   When you place the tag end of the larger material under the tag of the smaller material you are going to wrap onto at the crossover point,  are in effect creating a larger opening to pass the tag of the smaller material back through.  When you complete the wraps of that small diameter material, the opening you created by wrapping the larger material first will become apparent.  It doesn't cut out all the frustration when tying material with cold fingers but will sure help.

One other thing.

Before you start wrapping material around one or the other, be sure the tag ends are longer than needed.   It took a number of years and hundreds of blood knots that the light came one day that being cheap (frugal) with the tippet material was a waste of time.  

1 person likes this

I use loop to loop connections on almost everything other than fly to leader. My go to knot has always been a simple bowline. Might be years of working in a boatyard as a youngster, but it is fast, strong, easy to tie, and never comes un-tied. Might not be a "fishing" knot, but it works for me!!

Ron

A uni knot to tie on flies

a double uni knot leader to leader 

a uni knot leader to fly line.  It holds the line like a nail but is quicker. Never failed on me. I do usually use loop to loop for leader to fly line but once the loop gets damaged I use the uni 

can leave knot not pulled tight on the eyelet to allow more action on streamers and buggers if you want

For bite tippets to pike/musky flies I usually use a non-slip mono loop knot (rapala).  Actually, I use that for most streamers where the tippet size is over 10lb.

lots of perfection loops and double overhand loops, and I love the slim beauty for lines of dramatically different diameters.

Here's a knot question.

When you break off a rig on the bottom (don't lie, we all do it), do you find that more of your knots break off at the leader to tippet (double surgeons, blood knot, etc) or at the fly (clinch, double clinch, etc)?

I find that more of mine break off at the blood knot than at the improved clinch knot.  I learned the blood knot years ago and struggle to mentally convert to Surgeons knots since I lost a large rainbow.  Of course, I blame the knot. I think the thing we're all looking for is what gives us the best odds to get the most stuff back!

Aaron I assume you arrears talking about nymphing?

I use 20ln mono down to a barrel swivel then tie 3x off that, so if it breaks it breaks at swivel and you don't loose everything

Good question, I lose them at the clinch knot more than the surgeon's knot but often I loose them on the last piece of tippet if it's caught on something that will cause a chafe  or put a lot of pressure on a small section of the tippet. Perhaps it's pinched between two rocks and and that pressure creates a weak spot and that's where it will break.

No other fans of the non slip mono loop?  It’s the only way to fish streamers in my book!

Remember that almost all knots have a breaking strength below the value of the line which it being tied in.  Some are very near the breaking strength of the line depending on the knot type; but will break at or very near the knot regardless when pressed to the limit.

When you are tying knots and make that final pull to seat the knot no matter whether you have spit on it or placed in the water.  Remember you are generating heat from the friction of the knots construction and this weakens the line material.  We would all like to get the knot tied perfectly each and every time  we tie one but Murphy's law almost always intervenes.  

The more knots we create in the leader and tippet material the greater the odds is that one of them will break.  The only saving grace is that knowing this sure makes you more aware of the need to play the fish out before hauling it in.:rolleyes::D

On 12/5/2017 at 7:23 AM, Kevin McKay said:

I use 20ln mono down to a barrel swivel then tie 3x off that, so if it breaks it breaks at swivel and you don't loose everything

You don't find that the barrel swivel makes it difficult to cast?  With 20lb mono, I don't think you could use one of those tippet rings because that's a little too fat in diameter.  Interesting use of traditional spin gear on a fly rod.  Thanks for sharing!

On 12/5/2017 at 3:04 PM, TGIF said:

No other fans of the non slip mono loop?  It’s the only way to fish streamers in my book!

Big fan of this with heavy streamers! 

You don't find that the barrel swivel makes it difficult to cast?  With 20lb mono, I don't think you could use one of those tippet rings because that's a little too fat in diameter.  Interesting use of traditional spin gear on a fly rod.  Thanks for sharing!

Aaron, I only use it nymphing, so I am 90% of the time flipping

Its the set up use nymphing here and in NY, works well

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:23 AM, Kevin McKay said:

Micro swivels NY last 20 yrs. sometimes with tag and AB split to get down, Really cuts down on time and materials

Do you guys really tie blood knots on the water for leader/tippet to tippet? Seems impossible to me, double surgeons is wayyyy easier IMO and i haven't had a fish break a double surgeons knot in years.  Just gotta lubricate it and make sure it doesn't slip.  Then again i almost never fish tippet under 5x.  

I tie blood knots all the time guiding

I tie my leaders so I use blood and surgeon knots for that. Nail knots to attach the leaders to the line.

Mono loop for streamers.

Orvis knot for all other flies.

For those that don't like blood knots, try a ligature knot. It's easier and just as strong. 

The best thing I ever learned about knots was Lefty Kreh saying that no knot breaks until it slips.  He's (as always) right, so I've always tried to make sure whatever knot I use is drawn up tight so it doesn't slip.  No matter what you tie, tying it properly and drawing it good and tight makes it as strong as it can be.  I'd wager most knots I've broken was due to a less-than perfect tie rather than a poor knot design.  I know I lost a nice steelhead last year for that very reason (Kevin will probably remember...)  I violated my own rule when I tied a knot I just felt wasn't well tied, but said the heck with it and fished it anyway.  Sure enough, hooked into a very nice fish and after a short fight - bang.  Gone.  My own fault for fishing with a less than perfect knot.

Perfection loop!