Russ

First Virginia fish

11 posts in this topic

Well, after all the studying I've done I've been here, the regs, the maps, satellite photos and driving around has paid off.  My first Virginia fish was a 14 inch pickerel.  Not what I hoped for.  A few more casts and I was rewarded with a nice 16 inch Rainbow.  Life is good.

20171202_121908.jpg

That's odd coloring for a rainbow. Are they all like that?

The colors look more like a salmon.

Great,smaller looking head? spawned out?

I am happy for you Russ.  That fish probably came at the right time.  All the house repairs at both ends of the moves from Maine to Virginia has its rewards.  Congratulations!

good for you Russ,

These are stocked trout in a small park.  They were just stocked last week.  Some of the southeastern Virginia ponds are stocked in the fall for people to catch and keep.  I saw a few strange looks when I put in back in the water.  The water warms up and the left over trout usually die in the shallow pond.  All the real trout fishing is in the western part of the state.  I plan fish there starting in the spring.

Russ, you need to lookup lake striper float tubing, and tidal basin spec trout   (Go Steelers)

RAW, I've been doing a lot of reading about fishing here and it appears that there are a lot of stripers in the lakes.  I may have to do some striper fishing come summer.  Unfortunately there are many more bass boaters than canoers and the lakes are full of bass fishermen.  I now know to stay away from any lake that a bass tournament on it.  I need to find a small pond I can just paddle around and wet my line.  I've read that if there is a lake around, it will have a public beach, swimming, family campgrounds and jet skis.  I have to go up into the mountains to fish for trout without many other fishermen.  Luckily now that I am retired, I can fish during the week.

Stop by sometime when you are traveling north or south.  I'm in Spring Grove Virginia just southeast of Richmond.

Should be fun come springtime Russ......