Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buoy

vise advice?

14 posts in this topic

Good morning,

I'm in the market for a new vise and I figured it's time to go rotary. Budget is definitely limited, looking in the $150 range. I tie mostly saltwater, but still some trout stuff. I think I've got it whittled down now between a Peak Rotary (Although having to buy a materials clip separately is kind of ridiculous) and a Renzetti Traveler. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks guys!

Buoy

Not sure if you checked eBay but a guy in waldoboro builds very affordable ones and sells them on eBay not sure f he is a meme ecr on this site. I think his webpage is bestmaineco.com 

I bought a Renzetti Traveler a couple of years ago and really like it.  Haven't tried many others though.  There's a local vise shown on this site that looks nice too,

I really like my Peak rotary it's a good vise and it's in the 150$ range.

I have the renzetti as well and it was my first rotary vise and I love it. Can't complain one bit.

Thanks for the feedback! nothernfly--my one concern with the Peak is that it says it only goes up to 2/0 without changing the jaws. Although most of my striper flies are smaller than that, it's still a concern that I'd have to get another pair of jaws. Do you have experience tying big on it? Thanks!

I have an HMH Spartan vise that I bought at the Bethel Fly Fishing Expo last March. So far very happy with it. Local Maine company too.

Unfortunately I have never tied big flies on it so I don't know.

I have used this one for the last year and really like it :http://www.hmhvises.com/standard.php

but not $150

I had the renzeti for many years and always found it had a hard time holding hooks when I up graded to a Dyna King and now HMH they were well worth the money and made tying easier 

I'm on my second Renzetti traveler. Have ties from 24 to 6/0 on it with no issues at all. 

Great, thanks for the advice everyone!

I have a renzetti traveler and like it as I still get used to it but I haven't tried it on heavier salt water flies.  I used a regal for years before and it was great and would handle big stuff well but it wasn't true rotary

Wow i didn't realize there were so many vice companies. I have a Dyna-King and Renzetti. Both are excellent. Would love to get the HMH but can't afford one.