Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Upperandy

Correct weight line questions or which one to buy?

9 posts in this topic

I hope I don't confuse you with this question 

I use an Orvis H2 5wt rod with an Orvis 5wt line.  I'm assuming that because they come from the same company they are as it gets as far as a matched pair goes.  My question is about using another manufacturer's line.

How do I know that a Rio In Touch is the same weight as the Orvis line and will perform as well?  I hear great things about the In Touch, but how do I know it will work with my rod?  

Or lets say I have a Sage, Bean, GLoomis or Echo in five weight.  Is the 5wt, In Touch going to perform equally as well on each of those rods?  Will the Orvis line I have work as well on these rods? 

I know guys who over line their rods and one or two who under line them.  They all swear by their set ups, best thing since sliced bread, yada yad yada. How do you know if you should over or under line a rod if the manufacturers have different weights in grams for their 5 wt lines?  Do you try a line out on your rod before you buy it?  Do shops let you do that? Do manufacturers tell you which weight in grams the line should be?  With the price of good lines these days it seems like there should be a better way to figure this out.  

Thanks

Simply said there is no guarantee that a particular 5 Wt line is going to work the same on all 5 wt rods. Some rods are fast and some slow and some in the middle, a line is a line and doesn't change if you move it from rod to rod. In my experience over 40-50 years I've found that lines work just fine 80-90% of the time but there are always situations where they don't fit. 

Best advice is to find a dealer who sells Rio and ask if they will let you try the line.   

I have the Rio perception and gold lines. The perception is on my h2 and the gold is on my recon. Sometimes I'll fish the gold on my h2 and the perception on my recon. I really don't see much of a difference. If it was me, I would find a friend who has the line you would like to get and see if you can cast it on your rod. I've never asked to cast a line before I buy it. Like dryflie said a good majority of the time you will be all set. That being said I just trust the line has been designed well enough to cast on all kinds of rods weather it be manufacture, action, etc... 

Eldridge will let you try the line before you buy if you can get to there shop.

i have a lot of different brand rods and I use rio on most of them or have

Thank you for your answers Gents.  It may be time to head south to Eldridge  Bros. shop again.  

I Like Rio's.

I like what is on sale...

14 hours ago, Kevin McKay said:

I like Airflo;)

+1

Don't know about recent partnerships but Sci. Anglers always made Orvis's lines....other partnerships probably exist...