Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
searsportshuffle

St. John's River

9 posts in this topic

Unfortunately I think I know how this may go but I'm looking to do an extended canoe trip and have done the St. John's from Baker to St Francis many years ago (87) and had a great trip but..... Part of the fun was fishing for brookies. Which we did well at. Wondering if there was still brookies to be caught there or if I were to do it just enjoy the trip and resign myself to the fact that Muskies would be the catch of the day if I were to try to run it again.  

I have run the St John many times, most recently 3 years ago. The fishing used to be better 30 years ago when I first ran it.  However there still are brookies particularly in early season and in the smaller tribs. You want to run it anyway with the higher water in spring.  If you ran it 87 years ago I figure you are on the far side of 90... take it easy, Bub.

Haha 1987! But I bet 87 years ago it was even better

LOL...I'm a Bub...I'm thinking about another run next spring...we'll see how it goes....

Up in the area a few weeks ago.

enhance

1 person likes this

Very nice! 

On 12/7/2017 at 5:48 AM, Kevin McKay said:

my guess musky

+1 .....in the river itself......but I bet you might have a better chance in the other smaller streams/brooks.

Congrats cap!

A friend from work has a camp on the St. John.   He says they used to be content with just fishing in front of camp, plenty of brookies was the norm.   Now, the muskies have displaced them and you have to find the places the brookies prefer.  He mainly fishes tributaries with a kayak, but I would imagine the mouths of them might produce for the determined fisherman.   The problem for the fly fisherman has always been that the best season for flies follows the best season for floating.