15 replies to this topic

#1 SmellTheGlove

SmellTheGlove

Brookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:41 PM

In the spirit of the new forum, what do you guys think about putting together some kind of local spey clave this spring or summer? I know that there will be a big one up in WNY in early June, but I highly doubt I'll be able to make that as my wife and I are expecting bambino numero uno around that same time.

I'm thinking it would be a good opportunity for those of us fishing two-handers to trade ideas/advice, try some different gear out and do a little fishing while we're at it. It would also be a great opportunity for those that are curious about spey fishing to try it out. Maybe even get some local shops like Eldredge Bros in on it with demonstrations of gear and techniques.

Thoughts?

#2 Kevin McKay

Kevin McKay

Steelhead

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19508 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

where? when? what are your ideas?
Maine Fishing Adventures
" Support Your Local Fly Shop"

Remember no man is a failure who has friends

#3 flyspoke.blogspot

flyspoke.blogspot

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

I would be happy to help. Please keep me informed.

William

Federation Of Fly Fishers Certified Single & Two Hand Casting Instructor-CCI, THCI
Member Merrimack Valley Trout Unlimited
Founder North East Spey Casters

Founding Member Souhegan Valley Fly Association

#4 Coastal Fly Angler

Coastal Fly Angler

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Interests:Sight Fishing --Taron Permit Striper and Carp

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:57 PM

You guys might want to contact the guys at www.eastcoastspey.com they teach traditional, Euro, Skagit,so on, also Kevin there's a guy down here in Portland that is an outstanding teacher and caster!!!! has a movie on two handers and is starting to do lots of work with Scott rods, PM me and i'll pass on his info,

#5 AK Skim

AK Skim

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:24 AM

You guys might want to contact the guys at www.eastcoastspey.com they teach traditional, Euro, Skagit,so on, also Kevin there's a guy down here in Portland that is an outstanding teacher and caster!!!! has a movie on two handers and is starting to do lots of work with Scott rods, PM me and i'll pass on his info,

East Coast Spey's Andrew Moy, he is also the owner of Tight Lines Fly Shop in NJ.

Posted Image

Kevin was at the Somerset show last week and Andrew's booth (Tight Lines F.S.on right) was by the consession stand.

Posted Image

From Spey Nation II this photo is of Andrew presenting a casting demonstration.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It is also the Fly Shop that I shop at, and I have taken a goodly number of spey casting lessons from Andrew.

I have yet to see anyone cast so fluently as Andrew, it is like breathing, natural.

If you would like any information from Andrew, instead of a cold phone call let me know and I would be more than happy to speak to him.
Life Member - Trout Unlimited

#6 flychucker

flychucker

Spent Brook Trout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:17 AM

I'm in!

#7 Salar Spey

Salar Spey

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:41 AM

Spey claves are wicked fun and a good way to get your foot in the door of 2-handed rods. I'm Alaska-bound this summer so I most likely will not be able to attend but I could if I would. The upper andro or some spots on the west branch would be a kickass place to have it though.

#8 COUNTRY HAVEN MIRAMICHI

COUNTRY HAVEN MIRAMICHI

Sponsor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Outfitter and River guide for Fly Fishing for Atlantic Salmon on the Miramichi River Canada

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:27 AM

For anyone interested in taking part in a Spey Class with Andrew Moy and East Coast Spey they will be spending two weeks on the Miramichi River this year from July 4th to 10th and Oct 3rd to 9th for more info on these weeks or packages visit http://www.flyfishin...m/packages.html or for Anyone interested in seeing a slideshow of the last spey class week they had on the Miramichi in Oct visit http://eastcoastspey...michislide.html
Sponsor since 2009: Country Haven Miramichi

#9 Russ

Russ

The Fish Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5558 posts
  • Interests:Scottish cultural activities, Celtic music, fly tying, Float tube fishing, canoeing, kayaking, camping, and Steelers football.

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:03 PM

Is there any interest in doing a Spey Clave this winter/spring???? I have a Spey rod and need to learn all there is to know about it.
"Real men wear kilts and real women are glad of it"

God created alcohol to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

#10 gunner

gunner

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3017 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:03 PM

Russ -- you are not far from me. I have 2 VHS tapes and 3 DVDs on spey casting that I can loan you over the winter (while I am in Florida) PM me if you want them and we'll get together.
Joe

#11 Russ

Russ

The Fish Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5558 posts
  • Interests:Scottish cultural activities, Celtic music, fly tying, Float tube fishing, canoeing, kayaking, camping, and Steelers football.

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:12 PM

This topic was started January 2010. Is there any interest in doing a local Two Handed Clave this spring (2012). After watching casting DVDs, I'll be ready for some on the water practice.

#12 Aldo

Aldo

Brookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Spey rods, Spey casting, Spey flies, river dogs, and good books.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

I'd be way up for a Maine spey-clave! Even if it's just a bunch of guys meeting up to throw a few lines and flies around, it could be fun. Mac Lord, a member of the FFF Board of Governors and certified spey casting instructor, lives in Brunswick, and Topher Browne (you may have seen him in "Spey to Z"), a nationally ranked caster, also lives in the area. It doesn't take much to get those guys onto the water for some casting.

Fish responsibly.  Get all your steelhead Speyed.

#13 Kevin McKay

Kevin McKay

Steelhead

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19508 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

Let's do it
East outlet
Maine Fishing Adventures
" Support Your Local Fly Shop"

Remember no man is a failure who has friends

#14 jefff

jefff

Brookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

How about a couple hundred miles or so downstream

#15 reelstory

reelstory

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, spey casting, fly tying, kayaking, hunting, geocaching.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

There is a great opportunity tomorrow, May 5, at the New England Spey Clave on the Farmington River in CT. A lot of work has gone into getting manufacturers, reps, and demonstrators to come to the clave. See the current posting in this section.

#16 Russ

Russ

The Fish Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5558 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

I'm all for a Maine Spey Clave sometime soon. I know Eldredge Brothers is having their Spey class soon. EO would be a great spot for some spey fishing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Kevin McKay, Owner
About Kevin McKay and Maine Fly Fish
My name is Kevin McKay and I became a Master Maine Guide in 2003. But before that I started www.maineflyfish.com, one of the largest fly fishing web sites on the east coast. It is dedicated to helping everyone who is new and experienced, to bring out their best when it comes to fly fishing. So it was only natural I became a guide and I haven't looked back.
Designed and Managed by
Join us on Facebook • Follow us on Twitter • Videos on YouTube
Contact Us • Visit our sister site @ Maine Fishing Adventures
© 2014 Maineflyfish.com