• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 lobsterman06

lobsterman06

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Being a pilot, hockey, finishing college, and love my family and friends :) and i love MAINE!

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:24 PM

ok so ive always been fascinated about catching a blueback trout, and wondered if anyone here knew where and what would be the best way to accomplish this? i know there only in a few small lakes in Maine but i wondered where would be the most probable spot of getting one...any tips?

#2 Bill Blake

Bill Blake

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3211 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:24 PM

ok so ive always been fascinated about catching a blueback trout, and wondered if anyone here knew where and what would be the best way to accomplish this? i know there only in a few small lakes in Maine but i wondered where would be the most probable spot of getting one...any tips?

I've always been fascinated by this too, but I'd be surprised if I ever actually went and did it. I never did get an accurate list of ponds where they could be caught and no one else I know seems to have done it either.

#3 SmellTheGlove

SmellTheGlove

Brookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:52 PM

Welcome to the forum. From what I understand, they're out there, but those in the know have kept them a closely guarded secret. Generally speaking, I hear that there are some remote ponds in western Maine that still hold natives that haven't been bastardized. You'd likely have to do quite a bit of scouting and legwork to key in on them.

Might as well go unicorn hunting in the fall.

#4 K. I. JOE

K. I. JOE

Fishermous Maximous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2328 posts
  • Interests:Anything Outdoors is Ok with me

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:59 AM

Wadleigh Pond
"were not here for a long time, we're here for a good time"

#5 ebud

ebud

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1128 posts
  • Interests:Retired.
    Fly Fishing ME ponds & rivers. Camping.
    Brookies Rule.

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:23 AM

Lobsterman 06
Welcome to the forum.
Tell us about yourself!

Ray

#6 jimbob

jimbob

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:53 AM

Lobsterman 06
Welcome to the forum.
Tell us about yourself!

Ray

#7 gunner

gunner

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3009 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:54 AM

I guess the first question is: why do you want to target something that is kinda rare in Maine and may soon be on the protected list? 2nd question: did you look on maine.gov on the if&w site?

#8 jimbob

jimbob

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:56 AM

Ebud,

Sorry bout that. Hit wrong button.

#9 cap

cap

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:07 AM

FYI and timely....

Unified Penobscot River Salmon Club Meeting is April 22 (tomorrow evening) at the Veazie Salmon Club.

Frost and Dembeck from IFAW will talk about blueback trout.

Dinner will be pork roast, baked potatoes and tossed salad. $6 and BYOB

Public is always invited....
Atlantic Salmon control my brain

#10 sqtail

sqtail

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:32 AM

First of all a hello to everyone, This will be my first post although i have been around a while (lurking). I am an avid amature fly fisherman.

Blueback trout.... i have always refered to this trout as a "sunapee trout". It is listed as an "Artic Char" on the state web-site.
Anyhow many years back (30ish) a friends father had a camp down east, in otis. We would hike into the back side of floods pond where we kept a couple of aluminum boats. We would row to a known deep section of the lake and still fish, days with least winds were always best. we would rig a bottom boucing sinker about 2' below a hook baited with store bought shrip, the small ones. It was quite similar to bottom fishing the ocean. Over some where around 100' of water we would drop lines all the way to the bottom and jig. Some days we would slay em, like one after another for entire mornings. Floods was open to fishing with motor size restrictions back then. I do not recall what the limit was on fish but we would most always have our limit to carry back thru the woods to camp. The fish were deep pink inside, nearly orange. some we would grill up and some we would smoke like salmon, really deliciuos fish.

The brook trout in this lake at the time were phenomenal. I am sure they are just as plentiful and healthy today. I can recall fishing many days through out spring and early summer and never seeing another fisherman. A few locals would fish it at times. The locals downeast back then did not really concern themselves much with fish and game laws, I can recall some really big catches of both quantity and quality. Fish that today i and most others would not even think of killing.

Just my 2cents on a place i would love to fish again. and an opportunity to jump on board and post something.

sqtail

#11 secretspot

secretspot

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:I don't go fly-fishing, I go fly-catching. Women and fish flock to me like the salmon of Capistrano.

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:38 AM

Just to be sure nobody jumps on the pond, Floods is closed to fishing.
Flyfishing is a passion. I also enjoy meeting the good people who share my passion.

#12 Bill Blake

Bill Blake

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3211 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:08 PM

I guess the first question is: why do you want to target something that is kinda rare in Maine and may soon be on the protected list? 2nd question: did you look on maine.gov on the if&w site?

I'd like to take a few photographs to use as references for drawings or paintings.

#13 Caddiskid

Caddiskid

Chub

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:28 PM

Wassataqoik Lake in Baxter Park. Arguably one of the prettiest settings to try for them. Didn't some young fella break the state record a few years back from a County pond? Debouille maybe?

#14 Water Rat

Water Rat

Salvelinus Fontinalis Extremous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4495 posts
  • Interests:Duh... fly fishing of course

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:23 PM

Just to be sure nobody jumps on the pond, Floods is closed to fishing.

It is the drinking water supply for the Bangor Water District, much more than a simple summons if you get caught...

And yes, the char are still there, the Water District actually protects the spawning beds. LONG story to go with that one ;)
Dave

"Tis better to have fished and lost the fish than to have never fished at all"

#15 cap

cap

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:13 AM

I have caught BBT in 5 different ponds in Maine.

I would say your best bet if you want to catch one is to go to the Maine Public Reserve Land in T15 R9 WELS.

I have been to Greenland a couple of times and the arctic charr fishing there is insane, untapped and undiscovered.
Atlantic Salmon control my brain

#16 OldTownButch

OldTownButch

Net Gain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts
  • Interests:Flyfishing is about it! ( oh,yeah...and canoes/kayaks, as I work For Old Town Canoe, which is VERY convenient!)

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:49 PM

They were stocked in Upper/Lower South Branch Ponds in BSP a few years back. I've caught a dozen or so of them up there thirty years ago. They didn't strike me as being a particularly beautiful fish. They were really skinny, too. I would think that there would still be one or two lurking around in there....... :P
I fish, therefore I am.

#17 jfh

jfh

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:50 AM

Caught 17" blueback trout deboille pond 2006, Fished deep .

#18 lobsterman06

lobsterman06

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Being a pilot, hockey, finishing college, and love my family and friends :) and i love MAINE!

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for everybodies input, I will definitely have to check a few of these ponds out. Im an avid fly fisherman myself been loving it ever since I was a kid, and am really excited about catching a fish that cant be caught anywhere else in the U.S. Thanks again for all the interesting and helpful tips!!!!!

#19 macflyfish

macflyfish

Brookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:59 PM

There is some argument as to whether sunapee and blueback are the same fish see below.
Taxonomy: available through

Identification: There has been considerable confusion and disagreement among taxonomists concerning the status of the Sunapee and blueback. For instance, some authors have treated each as distinct species, the blueback as Salvelinus oquassa and the Sunapee as S. aureolus. Quadri (1974) suggested that the Sunapee and blueback, along with the Quebec red (sometimes listed as S. marstoni), are conspecific and should be synonymized as a subspecies of the Arctic char (i.e., S. alpinus oquassa). According to Behnke (personal communication) both the Sunapee and blueback trout should be recognized as S. aureolus oquassa. Kendall (1914b) provided color plates showing both the Sunapee and blueback trout and gave a table to distinguish between the two forms. He also provided detailed descriptions and morphometrics. Scarola (1973) provided a key for the Sunapee trout. Everhart (1976) gave a photo of blueback trout and a key to both Sunapee and blueback trout.

Size: blueback - 36 cm; Sunapee - 58 cm (Kircheis 1976).

Native Range: Sunapee trout were native to Sunapee Lake, New Hampshire; Averill Pond, Vermont; Big Dan Pond, New Hampshire; and Floods Pond, Maine (Behnke, personal communication). Three of the four populations have become extinct and the Sunapee exists only in Floods Pond, Maine, near Bangor (Behnke, personal communication). The Sunapee populations have suffered due to hybridization with introduced lake trout S. namaycush (Behnke, personal communication). The blueback trout is native to northwestern Maine in the headwaters of the St. John and Penobscot rivers, specifically in Black Lake, Deboullie Lake, Gardner Lake, Purshineer pond in Arrostook County; Big Reed Pond, Rainbow Lake and Wadleigh Pond in Piscataquis County; Penobscot Lake in Somerset County (erroneously reported as in Piscataquis County); and in Bald Mountain Pond, also in Somerset County (Everhart and Waters 1965). Formerly existed in the Rangeley Lakes but extirpated from there circa 1904 (Kendall 1914b; Everhart and Waters 1965).

#20 Waynedeer

Waynedeer

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing rivers/stream for trout and bow hunting for deer. Recently moved to Colorado & exploring the many places to fish in the west & tying a lot of new flies

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:17 PM

I know where there is a tankful of pure strain big ones at a private hatchery in Southern Maine. If you wanted to get some pictures i could probably get you in there. Email me if you want

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Kevin McKay, Owner
About Kevin McKay and Maine Fly Fish
My name is Kevin McKay and I became a Master Maine Guide in 2003. But before that I started www.maineflyfish.com, one of the largest fly fishing web sites on the east coast. It is dedicated to helping everyone who is new and experienced, to bring out their best when it comes to fly fishing. So it was only natural I became a guide and I haven't looked back.
Designed and Managed by
Join us on Facebook • Follow us on Twitter • Videos on YouTube
Contact Us • Visit our sister site @ Maine Fishing Adventures
© 2014 Maineflyfish.com