14 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisCavs

ChrisCavs

Chub

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:58 AM

so as I'm learning to fish and to tie, I'm wondering what dry flies I should tie for spring in Maine's trout streams. Any suggestions?
Part Time Vagabond - Outdoor Adventure Travel blog

#2 young gunzs

young gunzs

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Turkey Hunting, Duck Hunting, fly tying, and Baseball

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:00 PM

elf hair caddis, parachute adams, and some sort of grass hopper
There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home. ~Roderick Haig-Brown

#3 mtairey

mtairey

Brookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:29 PM

XCaddis.... use zlon for the shuck....

#4 jefff

jefff

Brookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

elf hair caddis

Make sure you have Santa bring some from the North Pole for you this Christmas.

#5 cap

cap

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2254 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:15 PM

If this were an easy question to answer everyone would have one fly box and a few flies....but there are obviously all kinds of flies for all kinds of fish...and therefor 1000's upon 1000's of flies....

I think if there was one fly to have in Maine it would be a "caddis emerger" of some type. Your choice...there are tons of them...

For a dry fly style of which there are several I suppose if I had to pick one flavor that is my favoarite it would be the Thorax ties popularized by Vince Marinaro....Tie these in various sizes and colors...and you should be good to go...or you could pick the more trad Catskill style...or Comparadun -Sparkledun style...or parachute style.....

I have had some really fine days fishing a rust colored spotlight klinkhammer....but I've also depended on the old standby parachute Adams.......depends on the bugs and the fish...but I've caught a lot of fish on those two flies....

A big meaty is good to have....pick one....I am kinda a fan of humpies over wulffs, but many like wulffs...stimmies work...

I'd pick one or two styles and just tie them in bunches of colors and sizes for starters and augment them as you feel necessary and you gain more experience....

The fish change...they get use to popular stuff....and then other stuff works better....
Atlantic Salmon control my brain

#6 5 weight

5 weight

Brookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:Anything I can catch on a fly and learning to fish for new species.

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:23 PM

I think a commonly overlooked fly is the Griffith's gnat. It is buggy looking and it can imitate a wide variety of bug life that can trigger hungry trout without matching a specific hatch. It's a great searching pattern. Sizes 18-22.

#7 Kevin McKay

Kevin McKay

Steelhead

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19726 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

take a look through this
http://www.maineflyf...ayfly/page1.htm
Maine Fishing Adventures
" Support Your Local Fly Shop"

Remember no man is a failure who has friends

#8 mac

mac

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4577 posts
  • Interests:All things outdoors, especially fishing with my grandson.

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:31 PM

My favorite and most productive dry flies in Maine are: elk hair caddisvarious colors and sizes), corn fed caddis (tied small can pass for caddis or BWO), and Ausable bomber. These 3 flies account for at least 95% of all my dry fly catches in Maine and NH the past 2 years. ;) B)
Mac
Square Tail

#9 cjg

cjg

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fly Fishing

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:42 PM

Kennabago Muddler, tie different sizes, they float, they sink, they work great.

#10 Water Rat

Water Rat

Salvelinus Fontinalis Extremous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4618 posts
  • Interests:Duh... fly fishing of course

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:25 PM

My favorite and most productive dry flies in Maine are: elk hair caddisvarious colors and sizes), corn fed caddis (tied small can pass for caddis or BWO), and Ausable bomber. These 3 flies account for at least 95% of all my dry fly catches in Maine and NH the past 2 years. ;) B)

Shhhhhh!!!! That's the secret weapon ;)

Any kind of Caddis will work well, I like the X-Caddis as well. Always have several Griffith's Gnats with you, they catch fish when nothing else works. Can't beat woolly buggers and white winged marabou streamers like the black ghost and McKay special. For nymphs I'm not going to rattle off my favorite dozen, but make sure you have some PT's and hare's ears. I could go on, but that gives you a few :rolleyes:

Opps, just saw you said DRY flies. I'll leave the rest anyway, because fish only feed about 2% to 5% of the time on the surface. So tie some nymphs and streamers, or you will be missing out on at least 95% of the fish ;)
Dave

"Tis better to have fished and lost the fish than to have never fished at all"

#11 Waynedeer

Waynedeer

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing rivers/stream for trout and bow hunting for deer. Recently moved to Colorado & exploring the many places to fish in the west & tying a lot of new flies

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

I catch a lot of Rainbows and Brookies on Royal Wulffs. I often use two files, a Wulff and Elk Hair Caddis. They go for the Wulffs 8 out of 10 times. However, a lot of these streams don't have a lot of food; so the Brookies will eat anything.

#12 fishn_guy

fishn_guy

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Fly Tying, Grand Laker Canoes

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:38 PM

I like to use my own creations. Some have names and some don't. I like to look at the insects available to the fish and try to match it with size, color, and silhouette. I am the originator of the Kennebago Muddler and I can say its one of my favorite flies when nothing is hatching.
Mike

#13 CJSNH

CJSNH

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:27 PM

Don't forget the Hornberg - dry - wet- streamer. It's the jack of all trades . Not sexy anymore but I would take it if I had to pick just one fly !

#14 mac

mac

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4577 posts
  • Interests:All things outdoors, especially fishing with my grandson.

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:26 PM

Don't forget the Hornberg - dry - wet- streamer. It's the jack of all trades . Not sexy anymore but I would take it if I had to pick just one fly !

That is always my go to fly when all else fails and it almost always produces. ;) B)
Mac
Square Tail

#15 Tom

Tom

Atlantic Salmon

• Bloggers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:14 PM

this is what I've found for smaller waters in southern/central maine and nh especially:

spring:
parachute light hendrickson #10-16
parachute dark handrickson #10-16
black elk hair caddis #16-20
godzilla caddis (my own brown olive cdc pattern) #12-16
dun quigley cripple #12-16
cdc rusty spinner #12-16

summer/fall:
parachute black ant #12, #18
foam flying ant #12
cdc black spinner #18, #20
godzilla caddis #16
foam hopper #8-12
grizzly/peacock elk hair caddis #18
wood duck 2 feather fly (standard and parachute)#14-16
cdc rusty spinner #14-18
x-caddis olive #12-20
x-caddis tan #12-20
dun quigley cripple #20
parachute bwo #18-22
royal wulff #18
burgundy bugmeister #6-10
peacock bugmeister #6-10

while I fish a lot of muddler/hornberg style patterns on the surface, I'm not listing those as I don't consider those dry flies per se, however they are a must for any Maine angler.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Kevin McKay, Owner
About Kevin McKay and Maine Fly Fish
My name is Kevin McKay and I became a Master Maine Guide in 2003. But before that I started www.maineflyfish.com, one of the largest fly fishing web sites on the east coast. It is dedicated to helping everyone who is new and experienced, to bring out their best when it comes to fly fishing. So it was only natural I became a guide and I haven't looked back.
Designed and Managed by
Join us on Facebook • Follow us on Twitter • Videos on YouTube
Contact Us • Visit our sister site @ Maine Fishing Adventures
© 2014 Maineflyfish.com