#1 Jer-

Jer-

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Everything outdoors!

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

So, a previous topic about camping got me thinking and doing some research. Some of my favorite areas to camp are the more primitive and private ones. While looking at Cupsuptic Campground I noticed they have a few primitive tent sites on the Cupsuptic River. I really like where site #2 (The Bridge Site) is and wondered if anyone had stayed there, or at any of their primitive sites for that matter. I heard the fishing is good, but the fish are small and thats fine with me. Any info appreciated.

#2 Water Rat

Water Rat

Salvelinus Fontinalis Extremous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4581 posts
  • Interests:Duh... fly fishing of course

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:12 PM

I haven't stayed there, I usually camp at Rangeley Lake State Park. But recently the group that did the Outdoor Heritage Museum up there took that campground over (The Rangeley Lakes Heritage Trust), and I have heard they did great things with it. On top of that, staying there helps to fund their cause. Awesome area for fishing, FFIM is having their annual conclave there this year.
Dave

"Tis better to have fished and lost the fish than to have never fished at all"

#3 sipowicz16

sipowicz16

Trout Bum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1541 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:26 PM

For many years, the guys and I stayed at Cupsuptic Campground. We would stay at the secluded campsites on Birch Island. As a matter of fact, we'd rent the whole island for the whole weekend. Great, great times and Cupsuptic is great to do business with.
"Yes, I am a Pirate....200 years too late" - Jimmy Buffett

#4 Kevin McKay

Kevin McKay

Steelhead

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19680 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:04 AM

Jer,
I have heard the same thing about the fishing there,which sounds fun to me. I would go for that site but have a back up at the campground incase it is taken ;)
Maine Fishing Adventures
" Support Your Local Fly Shop"

Remember no man is a failure who has friends

#5 breader

breader

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:17 PM

i fished up there last summer. there are a half doz sites or so, fairly private. there are a few plunge pools, then the river becomes wide and shallow. small fish, but there is plenty of good fishing within a short drive.

#6 MDIGUY

MDIGUY

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, hunting, camping, boating, hiking, family, and cooking.

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

There are more site closer to the Magalloway. If I can remember #12 and #6 was nice too. The one at the bridge gets alot of traffic and road dust if it's dry out. I stay at the campground too, but to get away from people is good always. Good luck.
" If God was thinking, every woman would have come with a boat!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Kevin McKay, Owner
About Kevin McKay and Maine Fly Fish
My name is Kevin McKay and I became a Master Maine Guide in 2003. But before that I started www.maineflyfish.com, one of the largest fly fishing web sites on the east coast. It is dedicated to helping everyone who is new and experienced, to bring out their best when it comes to fly fishing. So it was only natural I became a guide and I haven't looked back.
Designed and Managed by
Join us on Facebook • Follow us on Twitter • Videos on YouTube
Contact Us • Visit our sister site @ Maine Fishing Adventures
© 2014 Maineflyfish.com