12 replies to this topic

#1 spector82

spector82

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1131 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:43 PM

Fall salmon fishing is my thing so to speak, pretty much an expert at this point on the subject having pursued this for over 20 years in the Sebago region, I was wondering if the folks at Maineflyfish would be interested in a fall conclave in the Rangeley lakes region, teaching various flies, casting techniques and reading holding water as well as catch and release advice. We would need a base camp or motel for this to take place, there are a few great fall destinations in the area that would offer a decent chance at some quality fishing...myself I have not fished the area for over 10 years so it would be fun for myself as well. This is not intended as a spot burning expedition but a learning expedition for those interested.

As for dates,...thinking Sept. 17/18 or the last weekend 09/25/26

#2 Kevin McKay

Kevin McKay

Steelhead

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19581 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:13 PM

Sounds like a great idea, lodging? One of the sponsors? I might be guiding but will come if I am not
Maine Fishing Adventures
" Support Your Local Fly Shop"

Remember no man is a failure who has friends

#3 mac

mac

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4427 posts
  • Interests:All things outdoors, especially fishing with my grandson.

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:09 PM

I think that's the week my wife and I will be at Black Brook Cove campground on Aziscohos Lake. If so I'm definately interested in joining the fun, and learning from those more experienced than I. ;) B)
Mac
Square Tail

#4 aljack

aljack

fishing ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:00 PM

Sounds interesting to me. My biggest concern would be expenses.
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout "

-Paul O'Neil

#5 Russ

Russ

The Fish Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5570 posts
  • Interests:Scottish cultural activities, Celtic music, fly tying, Float tube fishing, canoeing, kayaking, camping, and Steelers football.

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:27 AM

Sounds interesting. I like the Rangely area. If you are looking for a base camp, I would suggest Kennebago River Kamps. I've stayed there twice.
"Real men wear kilts and real women are glad of it"

God created alcohol to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

#6 spector82

spector82

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1131 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

Sounds interesting. I like the Rangely area. If you are looking for a base camp, I would suggest Kennebago River Kamps. I've stayed there twice.

I know Reggie Hammond (owner of the camps and warden of the area) seems like more than reasonable rates at these camps and would make an excellent base for the outing,...we would have to put in a 50% deposit for the allotted time however, it will be worth the weekend if anyone can make it, but we will need a count very much prior...please let me know so I can get in touch with Reggie and make reservations.
Posted Image
Rent a camp and split it 3-4 ways and the cost will be minimal, even 2 ways would be a bargain, we could have potluck food and BYOB or drinks.

#7 Russ

Russ

The Fish Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5570 posts
  • Interests:Scottish cultural activities, Celtic music, fly tying, Float tube fishing, canoeing, kayaking, camping, and Steelers football.

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:44 PM

Spector, There was 9 of us up there this spring. Water was high and fishing was spotty. I really like KRKs. Great central location for rivers and lakes.

If you can't get anything in Rangeley, how about GLS or Moosehead area?

#8 ebud

ebud

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1138 posts
  • Interests:Retired.
    Fly Fishing ME ponds & rivers. Camping.
    Brookies Rule.

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

Fellas that's like spot burning a very small camp facility here on the internet.
Better book soon for fall fishing as you may find your out of luck later.
Lots of lurkers looking here and they may beat you to the punch!
Ray.

#9 Walter

Walter

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1395 posts
  • Interests:Brook Trout, Salmon, Fly Fishing, Fly Tying, Hunting, Being outside, family

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:22 PM

I will be there both weekends and would really enjoy this. Great idea.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day....teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

#10 RedGrayGhost

RedGrayGhost

Brookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, fly tying, surfing, RC hobbies, Wood Working, Board Games

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:22 AM

I'd try to make it, I know the owners of an Inn in Stratton, ME. I know it's a ways away, but if we can't fit everyone in camps down there, it wont be as busy, and the camping's CHEAP! The pond fishing up in Eustis is out of this world also, there's some rivers up there that are grade A also.
Some fisherman go all their lives without knowing it's not fish they're after

#11 Russ

Russ

The Fish Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5570 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:52 PM

There is always staying at a campground in the Rangeley area. A few years ago, some of us camped at Cupsuptic campground. We fished the Magalloway and the Rapid.

#12 Kevin McKay

Kevin McKay

Steelhead

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19581 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:05 AM

I would suggest http://www.lakewoodcamps.com/ and http://www.grantscamps.com/ , since they help keep the light on here ;)
Maine Fishing Adventures
" Support Your Local Fly Shop"

Remember no man is a failure who has friends

#13 Russ

Russ

The Fish Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5570 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

Since they are sponsors, we might be able to get a deal on the rates. Especially if they have Housekeeping Plans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Kevin McKay, Owner
About Kevin McKay and Maine Fly Fish
My name is Kevin McKay and I became a Master Maine Guide in 2003. But before that I started www.maineflyfish.com, one of the largest fly fishing web sites on the east coast. It is dedicated to helping everyone who is new and experienced, to bring out their best when it comes to fly fishing. So it was only natural I became a guide and I haven't looked back.
Designed and Managed by
Join us on Facebook • Follow us on Twitter • Videos on YouTube
Contact Us • Visit our sister site @ Maine Fishing Adventures
© 2014 Maineflyfish.com