• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JET

JET

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Art, Fishing, Wilderness/ Outdoors.

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

Just got back from GLS for a five day stay. The fishing was good, caught my first LL Salmon @ 5am, and it was on a fly rod. I got two more the first full day + many more during the stay not to mention some smallies. I saw some meregansers (SP) and golden eyes w/ ducklings. Saw some warblers, which you dont see down here, and spooked a bald eagle on the streams edge just after the hatchery pool around 5am + saw some white tail deer down by the mouth of the stream. Needless to say it way a great first trip. However, the last day there I started @ 5am, through the course of the day and some of my own inexperiece I fought five fish and lost them all. I was frustrated (in hindsight I should have been greatful to be fishing this beautiful spot- but I wasn't at the time). Then to make matters worse I fell, no injuries, no big deal, we all do it. After fifteen minutes I reached down to grab my flies and my pocked was empty, my heart sunk and I had a sick feeling in my stomach. Again, I'm new this year, I had flies I have been collecting since march and flies a friend of mine gave me to get started. I guess at least $150.00 worth. After I was done done spitting lots of nails. I said "!*$@ it, I got two nymphs left, mind as well use them." Still fuming, I found a spot I could be alone (which is hard to do) and hooked onto a nice fish. The water was deep and the current was fast which made it tough to land, after a good amount of time and lot's of patience I landed a 20" fish; fortunatly I got to leave on a good note.
The point is: I don't think Im a jack a**, we all have our moments and the experience that fish, and that day gave/taught me a whole new level of fly fishing ( or fishing in general). It sounds stange, but I'm grateful, and even w/ all the people ( Most of them real decent people) bumping elbows, it was certainly worth the trip and that stream and those fish are now in my soul.
Thanks for reading my rant.
By the way, anyone of you happen to head up that way and see a Plano fly case w/ a clear cover floating, pick it up and look on the back for a name and phone #, I'll tell you what flies are in what row and in what order.

Thanks,
JT

P.S. I'm in the process of posting some pics for anyone intersted.

Keep it simple, simple as possible but no simpler. - Albert Einstein.

#2 Bill Blake

Bill Blake

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3220 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:16 PM

If it is at all possible to miss the phone number you put on the box, you might also try calling the Pine tree store about your lost tackle box, they seem to be the de facto lost and found for fishermen at Grand Lake Stream. I haven't lived in Maine for years so I don't have the phone number, but somebody on this forum probably does.

#3 Barkspud

Barkspud

Chub

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Aquaculter and Fish farming, Trapping, Bowhunting, Fishing, and many others..

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:49 AM

sounds like a grear trip minus loosing your fly's....pics are always good

#4 breader

breader

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:15 PM

sounds bitter sweet, as this sport can sometimes be. I would dwell on the 20"er , not on loosing the fly box. You arent the first one to do this, some fly boxes (like c&f boxes) have a small hole that can be affixed with a zinger that you can pin inside the box pocket of your vest.
congrats on a (otherwise) great outing!

#5 JET

JET

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

@ breader, again thanks for the info in that mag. I ended up picking up the book the journalist was referencing in the article " "Tagewahnahn: the landlock salmon at GLS"
I did pick up a new fly box with a hole in it as well.

#6 JET

JET

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

Photos
http://s1074.photobu...w418/dark_bump/

#7 Rory

Rory

Smallie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:58 PM

I was having a good day at Grand Falls a few years ago when I bent over and one of my best boxes full of flies fell out in the middlye of the river. I chased it downstream quite a ways, but it went down through a deep pool to a big set of rapids and I gave up on it. Another day a couple of years ago I made my best catch ever on the Kennebec at Bingham - 3 rainbows at 17, 18 and 19 inches. A little later my flyline caught my polarized clipons and flipped them into a deep, fast current. Stuff happens. Those are still good days when you've caught some nice fish. Besides, maybe you never would have tied on the magic nymph if you had more choices.

#8 putemback

putemback

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:fishing of every kind

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

oh man i feel your pain over losing your fly box. mine popped out of an open vest pocket one time a few years back. i can still see it floating away down the stream and out of sight never to be seen again. :( ..i did the only thing i could think of to console myself. i went out and bought a new box and stuffed it full of new flies. since that day my boxes are tethered and i make it a point to check my vest pockets frequently to make sure i don't leave them open. cheer up. we learn from experience, and it sounds as if the trip was a good one nonetheless. cherish the memory of that 20 incher. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Kevin McKay, Owner
About Kevin McKay and Maine Fly Fish
My name is Kevin McKay and I became a Master Maine Guide in 2003. But before that I started www.maineflyfish.com, one of the largest fly fishing web sites on the east coast. It is dedicated to helping everyone who is new and experienced, to bring out their best when it comes to fly fishing. So it was only natural I became a guide and I haven't looked back.
Designed and Managed by
Join us on Facebook • Follow us on Twitter • Videos on YouTube
Contact Us • Visit our sister site @ Maine Fishing Adventures
© 2014 Maineflyfish.com