#1 Water Rat

Water Rat

Salvelinus Fontinalis Extremous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4510 posts
  • Interests:Duh... fly fishing of course

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

Just got back from a couple of days fishing up in the Rangeley area. We fished a ton of water up there, and caught many salmon and brook trout. Hit a total of 6 rivers and one lake, really covered some ground for the brief time we had up there. Most of the fish were small, but we did get into some decent ones. Got broken off several times and cursed my barbless hooks several other times (still barbless BTW ;) ). Had a great time. The weather was a bit hot and sunny for fishing, but we persevered and got into plenty of fish. We saw a pile of wildlife - moose, deer, a bear, more rabbits than I could count, grouse, and chipmunks that swam across streams. I ran into Jim, I think he has been up there more than he has been in Southern Maine lately ;) Always good to see a friendly face in the woods :)

I am tired so I'll keep the story short. Unfortunately I kept forgetting to take pictures, here are a bunch of the ones I did take:

The Journey

Looking a bit soggy on the way up. Glad the first two days are business ;)
Posted Image

Not a bad truck to be stuck behind, the NH stocking truck
Posted Image

Posted Image

A great stop along the way
Posted Image

Almost there
Posted Image

Why are these guys always going 80 when they are behind me, but go 45 when they are in front of me ??? :wacko:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Water

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Bugs
(some of them...)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Fish

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Saw this vehicle out there, a fellow MFF'er, not sure who it was
Posted Image

The trip home was spectacular through the Mountains
Posted Image
Dave

"Tis better to have fished and lost the fish than to have never fished at all"

#2 young gunzs

young gunzs

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Turkey Hunting, Duck Hunting, fly tying, and Baseball

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

The vehicle was us!! Nice report!! I think I saw you downstream of us on friday morning.
There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home. ~Roderick Haig-Brown

#3 Water Rat

Water Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4510 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

The vehicle was us!! Nice report!! I think I saw you downstream of us on friday morning.

Wish I had known, I would have said hi. I read your report with the story about the guide, two of the guys I was with had a very similar experience when they walked two miles in and then canoed to a gated area. May have been the same spot. I don't think they were as kind to the guide as you were ;) Guess he thought that gating a road meant he owns the water, they did their best to set that misunderstanding strait. Most guides are not like that, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same guy.
Dave

#4 young gunzs

young gunzs

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Turkey Hunting, Duck Hunting, fly tying, and Baseball

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

Wish I had known, I would have said hi. I read your report with the story about the guide, two of the guys I was with had a very similar experience when they walked two miles in and then canoed to a gated area. May have been the same spot. I don't think they were as kind to the guide as you were ;) Guess he thought that gating a road meant he owns the water, they did their best to set that misunderstanding strait. Most guides are not like that, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same guy.

We weren't that kind to him and yeah the sense of entitlement he had was crazy. He had some guts to confront a group of 6 guys too, he was definitely trying to scare us off and it didn't work.
There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home. ~Roderick Haig-Brown

#5 alderfly69

alderfly69

Smallie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Fishing,Breathing,Roaming the Earth and Things that go fast !!!

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

I like the looks of that caddis in bug pic #2, were they out in any numbers ? Great job on the photos !

#6 mac

mac

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4384 posts
  • Interests:All things outdoors, especially fishing with my grandson.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

Congratulations Dave. That is certainly a beautiful area, too bad you had to travel there for business. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mac
Square Tail

#7 trouthunternh53

trouthunternh53

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

Was the Hex hatch steady?

#8 Walter

Walter

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1391 posts
  • Interests:Brook Trout, Salmon, Fly Fishing, Fly Tying, Hunting, Being outside, family

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

Great report. Glad you found some nice fish!
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day....teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

#9 notquiteflyfishing

notquiteflyfishing

Striped Bass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Interests:the exact interests that one would expect for someone to have to be on this site...

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:10 AM

wow, thats a great report!
I swear the fish was THIS BIG!

#10 Eldredge Bros. Fly Shop

Eldredge Bros. Fly Shop

Sponsor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:Eldredge Bros. Fly Shop
    PO Box 69
    1480 US Rt 1
    Cape Neddick Maine 03902
    877-427-9345 toll free

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

Good to see you up there Dave. I was just passing through. There's no fish up there! :rolleyes:

jim
Sponsor: Eldredge Bros Fly Shop

PO Box 69
1480 US Rt 1
Cape Neddick, Maine 03902
1-207-363-9269
1-877-427-9345
info@eldredgeflyshop.com
Face book page

#11 Water Rat

Water Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4510 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:32 PM

I like the looks of that caddis in bug pic #2, were they out in any numbers ?

The first day we were up there the caddis were thick, but kind of thinned out after that. Seemed there were always some hatching though. I believe the one in the picture is a zebra caddis, it was quite large. I heard they were very thick the week before.

Was the Hex hatch steady?

I didn't see any hex while I was up there. But I only fished rivers. I believe the mayfly in the first bug picture was a march brown, it was quite small - probably a size 16. I had to use the flash as it was fairly dark out which messed with the color a bit, but it was sitting on the water and made for a cool mirror effect. The mayfly in the last bug picture was extremely small, I believe that one was a PMD.
Dave

#12 JayN

JayN

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

I was up at the #10 Bridge and at Clark's Crossing last Tuesday and managed one salmon and a sucker. Saw lots of other fishermen and they were catching chub only. Glad to see it picked up after that.

#13 Bigspencer

Bigspencer

Brookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Location:Bangor, NE/NW of Moosehead, and Carrabassett Valley
  • Interests:skiing, paddling, some flyfishing

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

Nice water/fish/pics...

#14 blackghost

blackghost

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4080 posts
  • Interests:Wild fish.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

Great report Dave. To much water in such a short time. Wish I hadn't been in N.H. this past weekend. Would Have loved to have seen all you guys on the water.

Oh Dave, you really need to get away from following the stocking trucks so much. :huh: ......... :D
Posted Image
This is what they mean by a teaser.
Who said rabbits were fast?

#15 AFISHN

AFISHN

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:ff fresh,salt;warm/cold
    duck hunting

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

I was up there the same time frame:6/9-6/15.Pretty much the same fishing results as you.
And why not?Judging from the pics ,looks like we fished most of the same waters.

Did head down to Errol last Wednesday and when the rain stopped ,the alders were in a bunch of pucker bushes
along the stream Will post up pics when my fishing buds send them to me
Tom
"when I'm not AFISHN,I'm a huntin'...."

#16 aljack

aljack

fishing ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1516 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

Did head down to Errol last Wednesday and when the rain stopped ,the alders were in a bunch of pucker bushes
along the stream Will post up pics when my fishing buds send them to me

Just got back from Errol last night. The alders have been going for over a week now but the heat and sun slowed them and the fish down yesterday afternoon (and probably today too). Hexes are / have been coming off on some local ponds in that area too. I'm tired, sore, sunburned, bug bitten but smiling big time. :)
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout "

-Paul O'Neil

#17 blackghost

blackghost

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4080 posts
  • Interests:Wild fish.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

I'm tired, sore, sunburned, bug bitten but smiling big time. :)

Al, just where did you get bug bitten. :blink: :blink: :blink: ................ :lol:
Posted Image
This is what they mean by a teaser.
Who said rabbits were fast?

#18 Water Rat

Water Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4510 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

Al, just where did you get bug bitten. :blink: :blink: :blink: ................ :lol:

I came in one night we were there with both arms bleeding from the black fly and no see em's. Bug spray is like salt and pepper to them. Tough to drive me off the water when the fish are biting ;)

Oh Dave, you really need to get away from following the stocking trucks so much. :huh: ......... :D

:lol:
I was surprised to see that stocking truck up that far north. I passed him before I found out where he was going. Thought I was back in southern Maine for a minute there ;)
Dave

#19 cmemmons

cmemmons

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

amazing photos, and how ironic you saw a fellow mff user!

#20 aljack

aljack

fishing ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1516 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

I get kicked there but no bugs in my waders. ;)

Nice trip Dave. We went by Cotes several times each day while there; also saw Steve's favorite F&G vehicle making stops off the hwy.

The rivers and lakes in North NH / Western Maine amaze me. I cannot imagine what the area looked like before logging became an industry. As damaging as they were/are to the eco system of those rivers, I am impressed by the effort and manpower undertaken way back then to build those dams and water ways.
Unless, of course, they had help like the Egyptians did building those pyramids from aliens. :blink: :o :wacko: :D
"I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout "

-Paul O'Neil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Kevin McKay, Owner
About Kevin McKay and Maine Fly Fish
My name is Kevin McKay and I became a Master Maine Guide in 2003. But before that I started www.maineflyfish.com, one of the largest fly fishing web sites on the east coast. It is dedicated to helping everyone who is new and experienced, to bring out their best when it comes to fly fishing. So it was only natural I became a guide and I haven't looked back.
Designed and Managed by
Join us on Facebook • Follow us on Twitter • Videos on YouTube
Contact Us • Visit our sister site @ Maine Fishing Adventures
© 2014 Maineflyfish.com