6 replies to this topic

#1 monrizo

monrizo

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

So, im headed to the West Branch this weekend with a couple of friends and have never fished there in the Fall before. Any helpful tips on what flies and fishing techniques would be the most productive this time of year? Thanks

#2 Rolsen

Rolsen

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Fly Fishing, Ice out Trolling, Deer Hunting, Bird Hunting, Licensed Captain, Reg. Maine Guide

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:42 AM

Fished there Monday with 2 novice friends. The lady in the group caught a small salmon on a small muddler (blond) that could be fished wet or dry. The salmon took the fly as it sank. I caught a small salmon on a Kennebago muddler (green). Not a lot of activity. 5 people were on the far bank, saw 2 fish caught with bobbers (nymphing).

We fished Chesunkook Lake and stopped at the river on the way back about 5:30 pm. We did not fish but there was a hatch and fish were more active on the surface than earlier. This was just below Little Eddy.

#3 crash

crash

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:11 AM

Is that little general store there? Just above the big eddy campground? The last time i was up there i was a teen and we had canoed the allagash. I remember watching the oldtimers (everyone is old when you are 12) with the fly rods and thinking that looks hard but fun. I am hoping to get up that way in 2013.

#4 Kevin McKay

Kevin McKay

Steelhead

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19810 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:42 AM

No store closed
Maine Fishing Adventures
" Support Your Local Fly Shop"

Remember no man is a failure who has friends

#5 Bull Moose

Bull Moose

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

I fished up there a couple of Septembers ago and did very well using a charcoal biot midge and charcoal midge emerger.
Ants would be on my list to try first too.

#6 Kevin McKay

Kevin McKay

Steelhead

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19810 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

you can never go wrong with big stones

good luck,i hope top see pictures of your trip
Maine Fishing Adventures
" Support Your Local Fly Shop"

Remember no man is a failure who has friends

#7 Alan Emery

Alan Emery

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

I fished up there with a friend on Saturday, and it was slow. I landed one brookie on a streamer, and hooked 3-4 salmon on nymphs. Fish of the day took a floating smelt. Took a nice jump and gone. Prob one of the bigger salmon I hooked this year. Like Kevin said, stones, even though they didn't work well that day. There was a small caddis hatch about a size 18 that a few fish were up for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Kevin McKay, Owner
About Kevin McKay and Maine Fly Fish
My name is Kevin McKay and I became a Master Maine Guide in 2003. But before that I started www.maineflyfish.com, one of the largest fly fishing web sites on the east coast. It is dedicated to helping everyone who is new and experienced, to bring out their best when it comes to fly fishing. So it was only natural I became a guide and I haven't looked back.
Designed and Managed by
Join us on Facebook • Follow us on Twitter • Videos on YouTube
Contact Us • Visit our sister site @ Maine Fishing Adventures
© 2014 Maineflyfish.com