22 replies to this topic

#1 Sssster

Sssster

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

I've been tying tons of copper johns lately, always hated epoxy so I've been using Liquid Fusion (Jo Ann's $5) in lieu of the epoxy back. It has a thick consistency, dries clear, and the bottle doesn't go bad after the first use. I tye more than I fish (unfortunately) and love using new materials, but I am in a budget. Can anyone sell me on using clear cure goo with uv light? If people beyond commercial tyers swear by it I'd gladly spend the $. Thanks for your input.

#2 Water Rat

Water Rat

Salvelinus Fontinalis Extremous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4581 posts
  • Interests:Duh... fly fishing of course

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

Great stuff, I use it often. Much more convenient than anything that needs to dry, and a heluvalot more convenient than mixing up a batch of epoxy. The original investment is a bit high, but ongoing supplies are not nearly as expensive. And a tube of goo lasts me forever. Here is a CJ that I posted recently with a Clear Cure Goo shell back:

Posted Image

Streamer with a Clear Cure Goo Hydro coated head:
Posted Image
Dave

"Tis better to have fished and lost the fish than to have never fished at all"

#3 Sssster

Sssster

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Would you recommend a higher end uv light, or cheapest is best?

#4 Water Rat

Water Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4581 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Would you recommend a higher end uv light, or cheapest is best?

I have been told that some products are wavelength specific, so you probably want to buy the light made for the product. I suggest buying a kit, you save a bit on the overall cost.

Sunlight will do all of them, and I am told it is a great way to get a crystal clear finish.
Dave

#5 breader

breader

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

just read in the new am. angler that many of the lights are brand specific, meaning they only work with their resins.

#6 Sssster

Sssster

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Thanks BR, good info I'll have to book a trip soon!

#7 RedGrayGhost

RedGrayGhost

Brookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, fly tying, surfing, RC hobbies, Wood Working, Board Games

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

Get the loon... I've used CCG, and Loon and the dispenser for loon is better, it also is a bit easier to work with i find. It comes with a brush and an applicator needle in a squeeze tube. Very convenient =D
Some fisherman go all their lives without knowing it's not fish they're after

#8 flytire

flytire

GOOGLEMEISTER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1292 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing is a hobby, not a religion

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

the goos have been out on the market for quite a long time so the hype should have ended ;)

any light that produces 395nm wavelength will work fine. you dont have to spend $$$ to buy one. you dont even have to buy the ccg one.

395nm wavelength will also cure bug bond and most other goos out on the market

clear cure goo comes in syringes if you dont like brushes

GOOGLE "ultrafire 395nm uv flashlight" and search for the cheapest price

#9 Water Rat

Water Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4581 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

the goos have been out on the market for quite a long time so the hype should have ended ;)

any light that produces 395nm wavelength will work fine. you dont have to spend $$$ to buy one. you dont even have to buy the ccg one.

Great info!
Dave

#10 Sssster

Sssster

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

Thanks for all the info. I'll pick-up a cheap uv light and bottle dispenser (don't care for the brush unless I'm using it to coat thread before whip finishing). I have a friend interested in the cog, so I'll try the loon and we'll have something to compare.

#11 sethoakes

sethoakes

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

got the CCG in the seringe kit 2 formulas and the light. they work great for the effect you are going for but the seringes suck. I think ill actually move it all into a couple black bottles if I can find some that will work. if or when you but it I recomend you go with the bottles with the brushes to apply it. the light that comes with the kit works great! I also asked this question on this site and ended up buying the CCG over the Loon.

#12 caddis16

caddis16

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1385 posts
  • Interests:legos

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

Never tried the loon but I love the CCG. I find it quite nice to work with. Once you get used to the syringes they are very easy to use. Squeeze out a bit, apply, and then suck the excess back in.
"I'm a wed-hot sportsman after wild game." E. Fudd

#13 Water Rat

Water Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4581 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

What Don said is the key. Squeeze some out then pull the plunger back to stop the flow. They work great once you get used to them.
Dave

#14 flytire

flytire

GOOGLEMEISTER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1292 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing is a hobby, not a religion

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:50 AM

brush trick: just wipe it clean and trim off the bristles you dont need.

works with any bottle that has a brush cap

simple enough

#15 Cubby

Cubby

Musky finn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Interests:Retired ups guy,retired Air Guard-Tying Flys-cast-catch-release.speaking the Anglish language pickin the ol'6 string.generally being a pain in the a**!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

what kind of "shelflife" does this stuff have? can you keep it awhile not using it before it dries up. seems head cement and paints 4 or 5 $$ a bottle dry up before you use'm up!!
Whiskey and Wind knots, easy to get hard to get over.

#16 Water Rat

Water Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4581 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

what kind of "shelflife" does this stuff have? can you keep it awhile not using it before it dries up. seems head cement and paints 4 or 5 $$ a bottle dry up before you use'm up!!

I've had my loon stuff for several years, I think I've had the Clear Cure Goo for not quite a year. No sign of drying up at all. Clear Cure Goo tell you to make sure the stuff doesn't get too cold, I think they say keep it above 55°. And, of course, keep it in a dark place. Because it is cured by UV light and not the evaporation of a volatile substance, it should not "dry up" as traditional epoxies do. Interesting stuff, just plain amazing to work with after dealing with traditional epoxy. No more waiting for bodies or heads to dry. Zap them with the light for 15 seconds and move on.
Dave

#17 Old Dog

Old Dog

Brookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Many but I do love to fish.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Just my $.02. I've just recently tried the Clear Cure Goo and torch. I have no complaints and it sure beats waiting on regular epoxy to cure. I recently tied some "Bend Backs" and encapsulated the head and eyes in the Clear Cure with great success. I think they look awesome and should hold up forever! :)

#18 Sssster

Sssster

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

Here's my deal...I've got more time than money! Sounds like rave reports for the goo, but I may have to stick with the epoxy for awhile. Also, if no one has tried it liquid fusion holds the shape you give it and dries clear, but like any urethane glue laid on thick, it takes for ever to dry. Of course I'm not usually tying stream side so this is a minor detail. Typically I'll tye a dozen flies then glue/epoxy all at once as they stick in a styrofoam egg carton. If I can get some nice pics I'll post them, still not as pretty as water rat's, but they'll hunt and I won't mind losing a few on bottom. Thanks for all the replies;)

#19 breader

breader

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

i went this route- paid only $15 for the light, then realized it took $15 in batteries (2-c123a). not sure it works the best, seems like it can burn the materials and i wonder if it cures as good as the brand lights made for their respective glue. In hindsight, i wouldve splurged for the ccg light

#20 salmonidslayer

salmonidslayer

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing, tying, family, basketball, football, hunting,

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

I was in the same dilemma wanting a uv cured product but didn't want to spen the money. Then I found a product the hookand hackle sells. Its called solarez. You get tbe of thin, thick, and flexible for 12.95 and the uv light is around 14.00. I have been using them and the product cures in just a few seconds and is crystal clear. Awesome value.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Kevin McKay, Owner
About Kevin McKay and Maine Fly Fish
My name is Kevin McKay and I became a Master Maine Guide in 2003. But before that I started www.maineflyfish.com, one of the largest fly fishing web sites on the east coast. It is dedicated to helping everyone who is new and experienced, to bring out their best when it comes to fly fishing. So it was only natural I became a guide and I haven't looked back.
Designed and Managed by
Join us on Facebook • Follow us on Twitter • Videos on YouTube
Contact Us • Visit our sister site @ Maine Fishing Adventures
© 2014 Maineflyfish.com