• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RAW

RAW

RAW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4887 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing salt and tidal waters in Me..trolling Lake Ontario and fishing the Ny rivers 35 yrs, and 30 yrs fishing the Fl. Keys

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

With the low water the shad are late,Fished 6-8 am this morning with my oldest son,crowded,but we were into fish about every 3rd cast,4 lb, ultra light spinning with "chrome" darts. Most fish were 3-4 lbs..Sturgeon were torpedoing all around,seems like they can get 2-3 feet out of the water. Heard of only one striper taken yet.Next 2 weekends is the Shad Derby,so weekends are out.

#2 Old Dog

Old Dog

Brookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Many but I do love to fish.

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

My folks moved to Windsor Locks, and  I use to fish from there up to Enfield this time of year. Great shad fishing! ;)

I'm guessing sturgeon are a relatively new addition? :o

#3 RAW

RAW

RAW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4887 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing salt and tidal waters in Me..trolling Lake Ontario and fishing the Ny rivers 35 yrs, and 30 yrs fishing the Fl. Keys

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:55 AM

My folks moved to Windsor Locks, and  I use to fish from there up to Enfield this time of year. Great shad fishing! ;)

I'm guessing sturgeon are a relatively new addition? :o

No,the sturgeon have been  there for ever. My grandfather took me as a kid in 1950. But to see so many was great,and up close in fog!

#4 Kevin McKay

Kevin McKay

Steelhead

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19687 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:09 AM

I wish I had time to go for the shad,a lot of fun

Maine Fishing Adventures
" Support Your Local Fly Shop"

Remember no man is a failure who has friends

#5 tls512

tls512

Atlantic Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1396 posts
  • Interests:I love poetry... and a glass of scotch... and of course my friend Baxter.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

Was in the water yesterday knockin' the dust off my 9wt and casting arm. Had a juvenile sturgeon bump into my leg. Scared the bejesus out of me...

"As the evening sun faded from a salmon color to a sort of flint gray, I thought back to the salmon I caught that morning, and how gray he was, and how I named him Flint." - Jack Handy 

#6 Old Dog

Old Dog

Brookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Many but I do love to fish.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

No,the sturgeon have been  there for ever. My grandfather took me as a kid in 1950. But to see so many was great,and up close in fog!

Geez-O-Flip!  I sure wasn't aware of that. Never did see one, or hook one to my knowledge. :wacko:  I left in '67 for the service and haven't fished the CT since then. Maybe I should make a stop and give her a visit? :ph34r: :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Kevin McKay, Owner
About Kevin McKay and Maine Fly Fish
My name is Kevin McKay and I became a Master Maine Guide in 2003. But before that I started www.maineflyfish.com, one of the largest fly fishing web sites on the east coast. It is dedicated to helping everyone who is new and experienced, to bring out their best when it comes to fly fishing. So it was only natural I became a guide and I haven't looked back.
Designed and Managed by
Join us on Facebook • Follow us on Twitter • Videos on YouTube
Contact Us • Visit our sister site @ Maine Fishing Adventures
© 2014 Maineflyfish.com