13 replies to this topic

#1 mariner86

mariner86

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

Fished the Little Ossipee this afternoon..no trout, but two suckers. One on an olive nymph and one on a white Wooley Bugger..anybody fish the Little Ossipee lately?

Regards,
Mariner

#2 Troutbum25

Troutbum25

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:wild brookies,big browns fly tying and atlantic salmon

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

Fished the upper section and below arrowhead. Always had better luck on the lower stretch. Went last week and nothing to speak of from the north section but below the lake to where it meets the Saco river is a great place to explore. Pulled some good fish from there in the past. Salmon, Browns, brookies and rainbows..plus a lot of bass and perch come summer time when temps get too warm for the trout.

#3 Kevin McKay

Kevin McKay

Steelhead

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19675 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:23 AM

got to love the suckers :D

Maine Fishing Adventures
" Support Your Local Fly Shop"

Remember no man is a failure who has friends

#4 Water Rat

Water Rat

Salvelinus Fontinalis Extremous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4577 posts
  • Interests:Duh... fly fishing of course

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:01 AM

I fish the Little Ossipee River often, been doing well there this spring.

Dave

"Tis better to have fished and lost the fish than to have never fished at all"

#5 sethoakes

sethoakes

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

I fish it all the time mostly off mill turn road lower section. good fishing brookies and salmon, never had any rainbows in there but i bet they are there. lots of suckers and a beautifull section to fish and explore. easy access and quiet. i drive a green ford ranger with a matching green cap. if you see me say hello.

#6 alas

alas

Brookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

I've never fished that river... drove by it few times and it definitely looked fishy. Now that I know there's suckers... I'll be all over it ;)

#7 JamieoftheNorth

JamieoftheNorth

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

I fish it all the time mostly off mill turn road lower section. good fishing brookies and salmon, never had any rainbows in there but i bet they are there. lots of suckers and a beautifull section to fish and explore. easy access and quiet. i drive a green ford ranger with a matching green cap. if you see me say hello.

First trout I ever caught on a fly rod was in that area. That was around five years ago, I was pretty stoked! 

Enlightenment is achieved through endurance running and fly fishing.

#8 CnR

CnR

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:fishing

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

Need more rain, like at least a couple inches, then it will turn on.  Until then fish during low light times like cloudy days and try to be stealthy.

Jason

#9 scotty

scotty

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

The river flows are perfect right now due to Lake Arrowhead water levels being dropped 4 ft to repair the dam. I have driven over the river on RT.117 back n forth to work for years and never see anybody fishing it. I stopped yesterday morning next at the bridge to watch for any rise action and didn't see any inspite of some beautiful riffles and awesome bug hatches coming off! Glad to hear there is some life in there. Rainbows? I'm puzzled how they got in there. The state doesn't stock this stretch if I'm reading the reports correctly. I read awhile back that the state stopped stocking salmon in this stretch due to the drastic changes in the water levels by the dam owners causing a poor survival rate. Looks like I need to take a walk in the woods and look around.  

The 4 foot drop in Lake Arrowhead is another sad matter. Basically the entire Limerick end of the lake has dried up. Huge spawning bed areas are wiped out. It has to be creating a negative impact on the future fish populations there. I would think the bass guys who fish here regulalry are really pissed off.  I'm sure the dam owners could really give a dam....  It's all about the mighty $.      

#10 cjg

cjg

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fly Fishing

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

Glad to hear there is some life in there. Rainbows? I'm puzzled how they got in there. The state doesn't stock this stretch if I'm reading the reports correctly.

Little Ossippee lake has rainbows, I've caught rainbows on the Arrowhead side of the dam, it's not that much of a stretch that they make it to the river.

#11 cjg

cjg

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

The 4 foot drop in Lake Arrowhead is another sad matter. Basically the entire Limerick end of the lake has dried up. Huge spawning bed areas are wiped out. It has to be creating a negative impact on the future fish populations there. I would think the bass guys who fish here regulalry are really pissed off.  I'm sure the dam owners could really give a dam....  It's all about the mighty $.      

Happens just about every year. I wonder if they do it to try and get rid of the milfoil?

#12 scotty

scotty

Crayfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

LL Salmon, I guess I didn't "stretch" hard enough to think that rainbows would go from Little Ossippee lake into Lake Arrowhead then into The Little Ossippee river.

I live near Arrowhead and have experienced their annual draw downs which are usally a foot or so. Take a look at the lake where Brown Brook enters and you will see a whole different lake. Brown Brook now snakes another 1/4 mile through the bed of the lake until it can reach deeper water. This is certainly not the normal. I walked out into the middle yesterday to observe predator fish and 6-7 Herons ambush schools of bait at will in the "new Brook". I thought the same about the milfoil but every plant lying in the dried out mud & rocks has a green tip of life. A pretty resiliant plant.      

#13 cjg

cjg

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

It's not that much of a stretch to me, when I was a kid (70s) growing up on the Androscoggin in Dixfield (to polluted to fish back then) we used to catch rainbows on the Webb river right in town where it flows into the Androscoggin. The only place they could have come from was Newhampshire, plenty of miles and at least 1 big dam upriver. Maine wasn't stocking rainbows back then, definately not stocking the "Scrogg", but NH did.

#14 jpfishn

jpfishn

LL Salmon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

Fished it twice last week. I caught a 12" and a 14" Brookie. I walk (brush whack) up stream from the Upper part of stream. Living in Lake Arrowhead it's very disappointing there lack of speed in fixing the dam. In past years during the winters they'd lower the water level in hopes of freezing the milfoil. It didn't make much difference. Anyone wanting to hit the local areas reach out to me. Happy fishing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Kevin McKay, Owner
About Kevin McKay and Maine Fly Fish
My name is Kevin McKay and I became a Master Maine Guide in 2003. But before that I started www.maineflyfish.com, one of the largest fly fishing web sites on the east coast. It is dedicated to helping everyone who is new and experienced, to bring out their best when it comes to fly fishing. So it was only natural I became a guide and I haven't looked back.
Designed and Managed by
Join us on Facebook • Follow us on Twitter • Videos on YouTube
Contact Us • Visit our sister site @ Maine Fishing Adventures
© 2014 Maineflyfish.com