Maine Fly Fish
Russ

Let's get to know everyone...

Welcome to Maine and the forum and thanks for your service. I am retired Navy (and there are a few other members who also are). EBFS Expo next weekend is not too far from Brunswick (maybe a 60 to 75 minute drive) and well worth the effort. Great bunch of folks at the shop and the crew that gather for the expo are also good folks. Please make the trip down if you can. ;)B)

we will be there.. my wife is 7 months pregnant with our second child and while i know it pains her not to be able to get out there with me as much as she'd like to.. she is super eager to make it out to things like this in order to share the experience with me.. she was onboard from the first minute i mentioned it to her.. we stopped off at eldredge bro's very briefly last fall on the way back home from york.. i look forward to next saturday!

Welcome Yakster. I'm also a Florida transplant. I think it's supposed to go the other way around, moving north to south, but Maine is paradise. Thanks for your service and hope you and your family settle in happily.

Clarence Gould 44 yr old Male just out of Skowhegan. Always fishing, release everything. Troll ponds, fish local rivers. Gonna try and do some stillwater early season pond fishing, this year. Im a gearaholic and love to be outdoors. Electrician by trade, fished all my life. Always learning new things.....

Welcome Clarence! I tend to overdo gear as well. Good habit to have :)

• Like 1

Tony Foster, 25 years old, from Waterville. I am currently an office manager at a Rental Company. I have been in a boat sense well before I could walk with my grandfather and have always been into fishing. About three years ago i tried fly fishing and loved it. I have been getting more and more into it every year and this year (i'm hoping) is gearing up to be the best yet, My fiance (wife come October) I have also gotten somewhat into fly fishing and loves regular fishing and always seems to out fish me. I am not picky upon what I catch although trout/salmon always make me a much happier fisherman.

Welcome, A Foster. Lot's of great folks and info on this site. Best of luck with the upcoming season and congrats on the upcoming marriage. Even though my wife only casually fly fishes, I love it when she's able to join me on the river, great way to spend time together.

Jean Boucher 51yrs old. I live in kingfield with my wife of 28yrs Windy. I got into fly fishing 3yrs ago as a way to relax. I love fishing rivers more than anything. Started tying this past winter as a way to keep my head in the game. I'm always wanting to learn and get better. I enjoy teaching those who want to try the sport ( or in my case addiction ) what I know. I appreciate everything you guys are willing to share. Thaks for teaching this newbie how to be a better fisherman. Hope to hookup with some of you on the river. Pun intended.

Welcome to the forum Jean! Kingfield is a good place to be, not far from some great fishing.

Ron from Salt Lake City. Used to live in Boothbay and was in the welding department at BIW. been fly fishing for 35 yrs+. Try to get home every couple years to spend time with my best friend fishing around The Forks. He owns a camp on Moxie Lake. Fish almost exclusively on Western rivers in Utah and Yellowstone Park

Greetings - Ken 47 years old from Greenwich, NY a small community in upstate NY near the VT border. I like to fish the Batten Kill and a lot of the small streams in NY and VT. Try to get out west to MT and WY once a year or so. Work in software development. 

Glad to have you aboard. Western fishing is always a good time. I'm in Salt Lake and hit Yellowstone as often as possible

Hi I’m Ryan Gorman (38 yrs old) and I live in Saco, ME with my wife Torie, my son Sam (6.5) and daughter Annie (4). I taught myself to fly fishing while in college up in Machias and I’ve been fly fishing ever since. I lived out of state for several years by had the chance to move back to Maine with the family in 2015.  I have my Maine Guides license and plan to start running some paddling trips out of my friends campground in Brownfield, ME this summer. I took the Striper fishing class at Eldridge Bros Fly Shop last June and had a blast fishing saltwater this past season. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone and have enjoyed reading through the posts in the forums.

This is such a great and friendly resource for like minded folks here.  Thanks to all of you who participate.  

My name is Dave McCarthy.  I'll be 60 in March and will have been married to one of my main fishing partners for 30 years in September.  I grew up in Portland and Sebago.  I have been fishing since I was able to snap rod tips off while pushing them down a dirt camp road pretending that the top eye was a race car and I was the driver.  I have three children, 26, 24 and 17.  Two hunt and fish with me and one likes to do his own thing in the outdoors.  I have been in sales for about twenty-five years and I'm looking forward to retirement in a year or two. 

My fly fishing began and stopped in my early twenties.  Friends graduated college, got married and our lives changed so I stopped fishing.  I took it up again about seven years ago when my youngest showed an interest hunting and fishing.  He loves to fly fish and hunts quite a bit too.  I mostly fish western Maine and northern NH.  I have a house on the Upper Androscoggin in Errol, NH and get to fish that river quite a bit, hence the Upperandy name here.  I often head north through Dixville Notch to fish the Connecticut River for day trips.  I frequent the Rangeley area too.  I'm no expert but can usually catch enough fish to make a day of it.  I enjoy meeting people on the rivers and sharing stories and information.   I dabbled in striper fishing two years ago but couldn't seem to catch the right tides.  I'm going to work a bit harder at it this summer.  I've learned a lot from reading many of the posts here.   I'm also a novice and half blind fly tier.  

Besides fishing, I hunt for about six months of the year.  I have two bird dogs and two beagles so my season runs from October to the end of March.  Seldom does a weekend go by that I'm not fishing or hunting for at least one of the days.  I do find that I fish a bit longer in the season now.  I had my first trip ot he Salmon river this year with my wife and I'm looking forward to several trips next year. Thank for reading.

Hi, I'm Dave from Underhill, Vt.

I guess I've been on this site for a couple of years now. Not sure I introduced myself just kind of jumped right in. I really enjoy this site have learned a lot and met some really great people through it as well.

I was born in Western Ma.where my grandfather  started me fishing at around 5 years old. My grandfather always used a fly rod  so my first rod was a fly rod.  We would fish small brooks and beaver ponds with worms.  Moved to Vermont when I was 7. I had some good fishing and hunting right close to home. Started fly fishing when I was a teenager and that  lead me to start tying flies.

One wife, two children and now three grandchildren later I'm very quickly approaching retirement (one year +/-). Which I'm hoping means I will be fishing and hunting more. A few years ago my wife and I had the opportunity to buy some land near our home. It was 40 acres. It has deer, turkey and bear that frequent it. There are also maple trees on it. Our son said we should tap the maples. Well, we did. We have about 1,100 taps and sell the sap to a local maple sugar maker. It's kind of fun except when we have to fix the lines that animals bite,chew or gnaw on.

My true love is fishing streams for brook trout but I have expanded my horizons a bit have found that I like fishing for stripers. Oh, and salmon too! I guess there isn't a fish yet that I haven't liked to fish for.

Some of my favorite rivers are the Upper Conn. and a couple in  Maine that I can't mention or I'll be censored. On my way to the Rangeley area I go by the Androscoggin and every time I do I say I really want to fish that river. Still haven't, but soon. My #1 fishing trip of all time was the week I spent in Labrador fishing for (and catching) sea run Atlantic salmon. I've been on a couple other memorable fishing trips but the Canada trip is still on top.

It has been awhile since I read the posts of all the newer members.

It is interesting to see the many different walks of life taken.   The common path we all share is that one toward fly fishing.

A heart felt welcome to each and every one of you.

Hey I'm Jamie from Arundel, ME.

I was born and raised in Sebec, Maine and grew up spending most of my time fishing in Sebec Lake and the surrounding rivers and streams. I moved down to Southern Maine to take a job at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard a few years back. I have 2 boys ages 1 and 2.5 so I haven't had the chance to explore many fishing areas down here. Excited to start exploring new places to wet the line down here!  

Welcome Jamie, almost time to make a trip to WalMart for a little Zebco!  Enjoy.