Maine Fly Fish
Russ

Let's get to know everyone...

Aljack - Yep, in New London for Sub School in 1979, then again 1991-1994 and again 2002-2006. In and out of Guam many times but not Rota...as for the Indian Ocean, only transited through heading to/from the Persian Gulf from the Pacific. Spent more time in Hawaii (13 years total) than anywhere else...

John - you mentioned PI (Subic Bay?); I thought you might have made a stop or two at Diego Garcia after Subic Bay was closed. I was there for 8 months back in 73.

Good luck to ya and God bless ya'll in the service(s) [^].

Gonna be different for ya now, trying to catch fish instead of being inside of one;)

My name is Peter Murray. I have lived in Maine all my life, which is almost 60 years in duration. Forty of those years have been in the company of my wife, except when I am fishing. I retired once from the Westbrook Police Department. I am now a Production Manager (sort of like an Executive Chef) at the University of New England. I grew up drowning worms, but later turned to fly fishing, which I do with wild abandon and not with a lot of technical knowledge.

While I tend to gravitate toward trout fishing, I have in recent years been in pursuit of striped bass. Again, not with a lot of technical expertise. I fish when its convenient with out paying much attention to time or tide.

Last Sunday I was waist deep in the cold waters of the Presumpscot River when a fella came along and started talking to me. His name was Allen or Allan, I am not sure which. Anyway, he told me about this website and some of the activities going on around me. I didn't catch any fish, but Allan hooked me.

Catching fish, gardening and doing a little writing is about all I have left of my retirement plans...but I am going ahead with it anyway in two years. Thought I would throw a line in here and see what I hook into.

Welcome Peter. We fish down your way alot. I'm sure we'll fish together this summer.:D

Peter

Good to have you on the forum.

Ray

Welcome Peter

Glad to see you took my advice and joined in. We have a good group of people here and I am sure you will not be disappointed.

More info than you probably wanted...

My name is Tim McDaniel and I live in Brookline, NH with my wife, 2 kids, and 1 golden retriever. I grew up in RI, went to college at Bates where I met my wife of 25+ years. First child is going to college fall of '09.

Been fly fishing since I was 11, tying since I was 15. (I'm one cast short of 50 years.) I fish for trout as often as possible, stripers in RI and MA, bonefish in Abaco (when there is money available.) This past year a friend and I did our first steelhead trip which was awesome.

I'm currently in full time job search mode since my job was eliminated in this wonderful economy...(Technology development - applications and services. I'm on LinkedIn - feel free.)

I lean towards the fiscally conservative, fully responsible viewpoint, and know the meaning of the second amendment...I like Guinness, fishing with nymphs, teaching people to fly cast, Jimmy Buffett, country music, and drive a pickup...My current favorite fly is the Sparrow.

If you are in my area, I would be happy to make time to go fishing...

--Tim

Welcome Tim.You sound like one of the boys already.:D

Lechef, Was that Alan guy looking for a girl named Buffy??? We have seen that guy on several occasions on the water. He usually just mumbles to himself about the one that got away. We just ignore him. He does tie a mean furled leader though. :D:D

Welcome everyone to the nut house. For the new guys, check out the "Upcoming Events" Topic. There is a great seminar at Mike Holt's Fly Fishing Only in Fairfield on Saturday the 25th at 10:00. Very informative.

Stewart Mellentine. I currently live in South Berwick Maine, but I'm originally from a dusty border town in Arizona. Moved to New England after falling in love with the area during the summer of 2006, when I spent most of the summer in Wolfeboro, NH. My now Ex-Wife, originally from Salem MA, wanted nothing to do with New England, and with our lives going down seperate paths, with no kids, we call it quits after 10 years. She stayed in AZ, and I moved to downtown Boston. After a year of high rise living on the Boston Common, I moved to South Berwick, Maine. I've done a ton of fishing in my life, but it's always been offshore in Mexico or Key West, with a Corona in one hand, and a rod with a Marlin attached to it in the other hand. I decided to take up fly fishing after listening to countless stories from my girlfriend's father. Completed the LL Bean discovery school in 2008, and got skunked on every outing that summer on the salt. Looking for help, I found this forum, attended Newbie day, and learned a bunch. This year looks better for both improving my skills, as well as actual fish in the water. My girlfriend's dad talks about a fish a catch on the Mousum or Joppa UDL#3 back in the mid-90's, but I think those days are long gone. Just like the economy and business, my fishing will have to work twice as hard in 2009 to get 1/2 the results he did in the 90's. Thanks for everybody's help so far, and it's been a pleasure meeting everybody online, and at Newbie day. Cheers!

Stewart

It was a pleasure meeting you. Continue practicing your casting skills for the saltwater. Hopefully the fall fishing will turn on in the near future and you will be able to get into them.

My name is Jack Portwood and I currently live in Rockholds, KY with my lovely wife Phyllis. We have two children, Marcie and Michael, both of whom have flown the coup. To make up for their absence, we have three Chihuahuas, all of whom are rescue animals.

I've been fishing all my life, but have only been fly fishing about 8 years, but I've been tying for 15. I know it's backwards but I was invalided for 7 months due to a bad auto accident. My wife, remembering I had expressed an interest in fly tying after seeing a demonstration, bought me a tying kit. I quickly became hooked and upgraded the vise and added tons of books, videos, and materials. I kept on tying but never picked up a fly rod until my wife looked at all the shoe boxes full of flies I had tied over the years and told me to use them or get rid of them. I immediately went out and bought a fly outfit and signed up for a course. Now, fly fishing is an intergral part of my life.

The reason I'm on this forum is that I'm going to retire in about two years and we are thinking of moving to Maine when I do. I've never fished there, but I have visited several times and absolutely love it. I've wanted to move there for years. Anyway, I thought by reading this forum, I could get a heads-up on the fishing there before we move.

Welcome Jack. If you do retire ( at 46 ???????) here in Maine look me up to do some fishin'. We can talk stamps too.

Well may as well introduce myself being the forum troublemaker and all that jazz.

Shawn Mac Phee Born in Bangor Maine and raised pretty much out on the west coast, Bremerton Washington, Los Angeles CA, Simi Valley CA, Long Beach CA San Leandro CA and finally South Lake Tahoe CA where I went to high school and got into fishing/skiing in a serious way...SLT has big Browns , Rainbows, Mackinaw (aka Togue), cutthroats, Kokanee salmon (landlocked sockeyes) , brookies, and finally golden trout, pretty much a party mix and I caught them all while out there.

Came back to Maine when I was 19 with my folks and stopped fishing for a bit opting for hunting for a girlfriend instead.

Got married and had 2 kids one now 21(daughter), and one 15(son)

Then I discovered Landlocked salmon fishing and haven't stopped since.

I also religiously fished Atlantics prior to the closure of that fishery on an annual basis.

Just got into salt seriously a few years back which is also fun.

Not real good at that quite yet but I do hook a fish or 2.

I am a serious fly tyer, have designed many successful patterns for local salmon/trout, and have tied professionally at one time ....I can pretty much tie anything, although streamers are my specialty.

I have done many types of work while back here, from construction, to running a moving company for family, and now I am a floor manager at a local big box store which has been fun...(also nice to get out of that howling sub zero wind in the wintertime)

No party politically, neither of the 2 represent my views, however I am firm believer in the Constitution.

I believe that personal responsibility should be paramount, and there is nothing wrong with living a life of honor, self control and self respect,...something that appears to be seriously lacking nowadays.

My name is Michael Leavitt. My wife Judy and I have been married 30 years Dec. 1, 2009. We have 2 daughters, Amanda and Natalie. We also have 2 grandchildren, Brady and Madelyn. I bought Brady a Lifetime Maine fishing license last year. Wish they had that when I was young. I started fishing before I can remember. Bought my 1st fly rod in the mid-70's. My grandfather gave me his Browning fiberglass fly rod not long after. I still have it. Started tying about 20 years ago. My yougest daughter Natalie, fly fishes also. I've got a couple of Orvis rods. Fresh and Salt. I still use the Browning fiberglass for bass. I go to Kennebago in the spring, Kennebec in the summer with my high school buddy David, and the West Branch with Judy in late summer. Stripers in the summer, although lately it's been tough fishing. See you in the water. Mike:D

Welcome to Mike and Shawn I hope you enjoy being a member of this very friendly and informative website. There is the annual Freeze Up Folly held in January. Check out the upcoming events section of the forum. It's a hoot!

Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you run into a guy named Kim, stay away from his camera. :D:D

Ill get in on this! My name Santo Ruzzi( No Mob connection)LOL Born and raised in NY moved to Maine in 1984. I live with my fiance Andrea and plan on getting married Sept 2010.I have a son and daughter, John and Kelsey. Ive been a fisherman all my life, Thanks to dad!but only started flyfishing about 15 years ago and tying about 5 years ago. I like to get out and fish the Salmon river in the winter months for Steelies and love fishing the Rangeley area in the Spring and early summer, anyone interested let me know.I joined this site Dec. 9 2009 and look forward to meeting some of you along the way. Maybe at freeze out?

Santo

Welcome Santo to the insane asylum. I hope you will be able to make it to some of our events. The Freeze Up is the best of the winter activities. Hope to see you there.

Some of us host a Tie and Lie during the winter. I've nosted one already and I hope to do one more. Keep an eye on the Upcoming Events section.

If you have any questions about fishing or tying, please just ask. If I can't help you, I probably know who can.

Enjoy!!!

Russ

Hi guys -

with the changing of the website and all, I'm taking the chance to switch screen names. My names Tim, I'm from Cumberland Center, and my former screen name was tkearins. I've been kind of absent from the forums the past 6 months or so, but since its tying season I've found my way back! look forward to talking with you all and hopefully meeting up for some fishing this year.