Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
RAW

knots?

whats your favorite for joining 2 different mono's, and attaching fly to tippett[?]

I tie two improved clinch knots back to back to tie flouro tippet to flouro leader (occassionally a mono leader). I don't really tie mono to mono ever. IMHO, the blood knot isn't necessary for anything under 5 lbs or so in freshwater. Two improved clinch hold up just fine. I've never had one break on me yet. The knot at the fly always breaks first. Almost 20 salmon of 17"+, including a 15 minute fight with one wild one that refused to quit, at GLS last year with this setup really proved it to me. There were also a few smallmouth in the 3-4+ lb range landed. I use 6-7X tippet for everything tied to a leader that was originally that small, but is down to the line that's probably 4 lb test or so by the time I tie on more tippet. I used to struggle with blood knots streamside and other knots but a sale at an Orvis going out of business about 5 years ago stocked me with lots of tapered leaders for a buck or so apiece so I wasn't bothering to tie on tippet for a few years. Then I switched to the two improved clinches and haven't looked back.

I use a single improved clinch at the fly. That's been my standard knot ever since I started fishing. I tried a few different knots probably 10 years ago but they were no better than the improved clinch so I went back.

Fly to tippet - Orvis knot, sometimes Davy knot on smaller flies

Mono to mono - Surgeon's knot - simple, easy to tie on the water, and it works.

Butch - thanks for posting the info about the uni knot. I can think of many applications (even non-fishing) for this simple one. I just printed out two copies of the how-to image; one for my vest, one for my tackle box.

Mono a mono- blood knot. Richter- I would respectfully disagree with the clinch knot to clinch knot- first of all it will twit like a bastid and you have two 270 degree (or better) angles cutting against another. I used that method many years ago and then learned the blood knot.

Fly to tippet- depends, improved clinch for dries, nymphs, non slip mono loop for streamers and salt water.

two monos, blood knot. I've never understood why people claim to have such a hard time with this one.leave one tag long and you've got a great place to crimp your shot when nymphing.

flies to tippet - usually just a clinch.

Fly to tippett-depends what I'm using but normally it's either a non-slip mono loop or the 16/20. Mono to mono depends also but for tying on new tippett I now always use the ligature knot. If I'm hand tying a leader for the tapered portion I use blood knots.

Leader to flyline: Whitlock Blind Splice

Leader mono to Leader mono: Blood Knot(s)

Leader to Tippet: Double Surgeons

Tippet to Fly: Duncan Loop

Point fly to Dropper: Duncan Loop (cinched tight)

Dave M

Leader to Tippet: Double Surgeons

Tippet to Fly: Turle Knot

Just a thought about clinch knots, I know people use them, my best fishing buddy still does and they work very well for him, but I hate them. Way too much fiddling with twisting line and trying to stick line into loops. On top of that I don't believe a single or even an improved clinch is a very effective knot. Like prunes, 3 twists not enough and 4 is too many?

Al

Butch,yes that's the one.For pike and musky,I'll double the line over.I ditched the barrel/blood knots along time ago,in favor of the universals.The "duncan loop" variation here has the added benefit of the "slip".It helps dampen the "pop off" syndrome associated with hard strikes,often beneficial for light lining

I still prefer an old school snell for snelling, vs. the uni.Especially when the hooks eyes are poorly formed.(sharp edged or gapped out to much)

Just a thought about clinch knots, I know people use them, my best fishing buddy still does and they work very well for him, but I hate them. Way too much fiddling with twisting line and trying to stick line into loops.

Dryflie,I have similar thoughts towards the turle.:) I think the biggest issues where in clinch/cinch knots are concerned.Are knowing when and where to use them,especially with regards to line diameter compared with hooks wire gauge.With the greater the difference between the two,hindering the knot from being properly seated,or overly.Improved's can be even fussier due to the double line through the eye,these should'nt cross/pinch each other if drawn properly.

Blood knots are the only way to go for mono to mono. If you can make a slip knot you can make a blood knot. Leader to line I make a 1/2 inch loop at the end of my fly line put it in my vice and wrap the end of the loop to the fly line with fly tying thread. Couple coats of fly tying lacquer and you are all set. Cost = 0. There are many products you can buy which duplicate this procedure but when I first started doing this there were none on the market. But why would I spend money to imitate some thing what I all ready know how to do for nothing. I have heard of the loops you can buy, failing? In 25 years my loop has never failed. I have had an improved clinch knot fail on a 20 lb plus Atlantic salmon. The fish hit so hard it peeled the plastic off the end of the fly line. Forever immortalizing myself to the the other fisherman present that day as, "the day Lee lost the fishing derby". I am hoping that within a few years they will die of old age but maybe I better think this one through a little better...(-

Did Joe teach you that? I do the same and he's the guy who taught me,back in the stone age.:D

Originally posted by Red Quill

I'm with Butch! I use the Uni-Knot alot!

[/quote Welcome,I've not seen you before;enjoy the banter;)

Mainiac..yup that was Joe, he taught me how just after that episode......I had caught fish with a clinch knot before but he kept telling me that a clinch knot would not hold a big salmon...it didn't.

Fishmore

I might of missed it in your post,and pardon me if I did.But what knot did you trade out the clinch knot,in favor of?

I've never been atlantic fishing,I always blew it off in the past thinking that I had time.Yes I'm almost glad now that I didnt,giving the climate around them.But I will say I would'nt recommend a clinch for anyone targeting pike or musky,or any other fish in this caliber.But would favor a duncan,or doubled duncan.