Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
tkearins

Maxima chameleon leaders?

have you guys used the chameleon leaders/tippets? I bought one the other day to try out some time, but I'm skeptical. In winter fly fishing, the water is so darn clear, and this line has dark reddish color to it, making me think it'll stand out like a sore thumb. any experience with this stuff?

IMO the very best stuff out there, exceptionally strong and not nearly as visible as you think, I've used 2lb and 3lb chameleon in place of my old 6-7x RIO on picky fish for a while now and haven't noticed a difference in fish perception

Originally posted by tkearins

have you guys used the chameleon leaders/tippets? any experience with this stuff?

Well.....[}: )] being the iconoclast that I tend to be...I must (respectfully) disagree with the posters above. Strong? Yup...you bet. For Atlantic Salmon fishing? Some of the best stuff you can tie on.

For trout/landlock fishing? Totally worthless crap. The worst leader material ever made. Get yourself some Orvis Super Strong or some Rio PowerFlex and throw that brown Maxima in the trash.

For Striper fishing? Get yourself some *clear* Maxima. Great stuff.....

Now doyou see why there are 20-some different brands of leader material? Everybody has an opinion, and (well....you know the rest...;)

Dave M

Holy mackerel thats two things we agree on Dave.:D This is getting wierd!:D

different leader materials for different jobs..

I like Maxima Chameleon and Maxima Ultragreen...

but it depends on the application and the species....

For Dark tannin stained water the Chameleon works...but green water with a sandy light bottom the ultragreen works better...

Chameleon is stiffer like Mason...Ultragreen is softer and limper....so Chameleon can be better for leader butts while the ultagreen is better for tippet.

but I also like Orvis Superstrong for tippet too....and some Japanese stuff I found over the summer....these have high strength and small diameter...if you fish 5x or 6x for bigger fish it makes sense to have a higher pound test breaking point...but you may or may not do this all that often....it depends...

some fish are leader shy and some fish are'nt....

smaller fish you can get away with cheaper stuff if they are'nt...for most bigger diameter leaders you can get away with cheaper stuff too...

but more invisibility is always better than less...it just depends on how thick your wallet is with how far you want to pursue this....

So I also beleive that just about any tippet material that is on sale IMHO is better for a similar purpose than one that is not on sale! provided it'll get the job done....

With nicks and wind knots... you should change leader material as necessary....old leader can be weakened as well by exposure to UV...

then we have flouro...

I like Froghair...but i use Berkeley Vanish too...the difference in price is high...but the Vanish can work in most situations and that means you can save some dough...while the Froghair is better for some others.....and it may be seriously expensive but it is worth it if those fish would be uncatchable without it....

For trout/landlock fishing? Totally worthless crap. The worst leader material ever made. Get yourself some Orvis Super Strong or some Rio PowerFlex and throw that brown Maxima in the trash.

Dave M

I have tried many different types of leader materials for landlocks and trout and always seem to come back to the trusty ole Maxima brown 3-5 # for tippets, its stiff stuff and doesn't allow the large streamers I fish to sag on the retrieve like so many other brands often do, this includes overpriced flourocarbon which is useless IMHO for streamer fishing in fresh water. I use Flouro for salt only.

I lose far less flies with Maxima as well on the backcast, I had days last spring where I was losing far too many streamers on the strike with Froghair, I don't set the hook hard either, typically just feel the weight and raise the rod, with Maxima this is not the case at all.

Save your money and use the Maxima, some of the best fishermen on Sebago lake swear by it (5 wt included here) and believe me most have been down the same experimentation road as I have,it always comes back to Maxima for success...best cold water leader material made.

<!--QuoteBegin-Converted Post+--><div class='quotetop'>(Converted Post)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->For trout/landlock fishing? <b>Totally worthless crap</b>. The worst leader material ever made. Get yourself some Orvis Super Strong or some Rio PowerFlex and throw that brown Maxima in the trash.

Dave M<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I

Save your money and use the Maxima, some of the best fishermen on Sebago lake swear by it (5 wt included here) and believe me most have been down the same experimentation road as I have,it always comes back to Maxima for success...best cold water leader material made.

Spec;

If I had to use that crap I might give up flyfishing. Seriously. I saw above you fish sTreamers in lakes...perhaps it's good for that.

I fish almost exclusively moving water...to tough, wily trout and landlocks. It might be good in tannin stained Brook trout water up north. Try using that #### on Spring Creeks or gin-clear Tailwaters and I believe you'd be singing a different tune.

I really don't care what anybody else uses for tippet...so if Maxima "floats your boat" by all means go for it; use it; but it, whatever. I stopped usuing it when Aeon came out in the early 80's and haven't used it since (except in Atlantic Salmon fishing where a stiff tippet is good).

For the trout/landlock fishing I do Rio and Super Strong have it all over Maxima...and, in the "right-angle" nymphing I prefer Rio Flouroflex is absolutely the proverbial "cats a**".

As I said above: THere are probably 20 different brands of tippet material...and somebody likes one of them. :-)

As I don't sell any of them I have no "dog" in this fight. We all have our opinions....usually (but not always) based on our experiences. Those are mine. As always.......

Dave M

Dave, I too use the Rio Flouro when I'm at GLS and I agree that it is all that, it's the only thing I use there. Frog Hair has been inconsistent and many of the other brands don't have the back bone when fighting a six lb salmon. I have found that in lake fishing when throwing big streamers long distances the Maxima is by far the best for superior strength and when in windy conditions there is very little chance of getting wind knots.I agree that in moving water, especially shallow, flouro is the stuff.

wow thanks for all the input guys. I am new to the sport and have always used Maxima clear leaders and tippets. On my 5 weight rod I've been using 5x leaders and 5x tippets, for dries, streamers, and nymphs all around size 10 to 16 stuff. Being that you all think maxima is pretty stiff, that kind of explains some of its performance that I've experienced.

Now that I'm thinking of trying the chameleon (brown) stuff, it sounds like going up to the presumpscot when the water is probably pretty clear, I'm better off using sticking with the clear stuff? it would be all underwater stuff with heavier nymphs. am I on the right track here?

I fish almost exclusively moving water...to tough, wily trout and landlocks. It might be good in tannin stained Brook trout water up north. Try using that #### on Spring Creeks or gin-clear Tailwaters and I believe you'd be singing a different tune.

Easy there killer, a little testy aren't we?

Sebago has filthy dirt brown water as we all know, no wonder Maxima works so well! LOL

The guy asked advice on Maxima, so I gave him my honest opinion, ease up there Francis!

Easy there killer, a little testy aren't we?

Sebago has filthy dirt brown water as we all know, no wonder Maxima works so well! LOL

The guy asked advice on Maxima, so I gave him my honest opinion, ease up there Francis!

Wow....no idea I was being "testy". Sorry if you took it that way.

Don't worry...from now on I'll be sure to put spector82 on my

"Do not respond to" list...and we'll be cool. OK?

Dave M

When making my own leaders I use Maxima Chameleon for the butt and mid and Orvis Super Strong for the tippet. The SS is very strong, but limp and gives me a better drift. OTOH, the Maxima allows me to use a thinner butt diameter because it is so stiff.

Both products have a fairly neutral, weed-like, reflection in UV.