Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Owen

Nymphing help

Hi all I have been fly fishing for a couple years now but I don't do a lot of nymphing could you guys just give me the run down on how to use the nymph properly

Hi all I have been fly fishing for a couple years now but I don't do a lot of nymphing could you guys just give me the run down on how to use the nymph properly

Did you try a search on this site?

There is a wealth of knowledge in past posts.

You may also want to move this topic, or repost on "Fly Fishing"

YouTube it. there is alot. and for me it is better to see it and hear it rather than read it.

To me, the 2 most important things are

Start with only nymphing 10' or less from yourself gain distance with time, and make sure they are getting deep.

Be prepared to be frustrated... And if you can afford, take a half day with a guide.

Sorry that's not vey helpful.

Swing by Eldridge if you're in the area and ask them how to rig their thill setup.

Be prepared to be frustrated... And if you can afford, take a half day with a guide.

Good piece of advice right there. I too hadn't done much nymph fishing, did 2 half days with a guide and learned more in those two half days than I would have on my own in 1 season. :)

Who says you can't teach and "Old Dog" a new trick or two!! :D

Go with the guide if at all possible. Best money I've spent on this sport was a half day guided trip when I was in my teens because I wanted to learn to fish nymphs. Otherwise I am self-taught but that half day is what allowed everything else to fall into place.

just to let you know this is in the wrong forum, this is for the web site to make announcements

you should move this to the main forum

And a year old

If you can't afford a guide, this would be my advice. Do some research and watch a few youtube videos. If i were you I would begin on water that I know holds fish, like an area that is freshly stocked. Some may disagree, but at the least you will see the difference between bottom and a fish. Fishing a stocked area is a great way to practice and work the bugs out for when you get on a big river, and hopefully it will give you a little confidence in your nypmhing abilities.