Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
alas

How about those suckers? :)

Anyone cares to share some tips/knowledge on how to fool those suckers on a fly? I mean... I just can't ignore seeing what looks like 2ft fish swimming around seemingly uninterested in my offerings...

Thanks!

Missed some trout yesterday and also got sick of watching these swiming around. weight your nymphs so they stay on the bottom and fish the same you would trout. make sure you have enough weight to bounce them on the bottom and they will take them for sure. got both of these on a Caddis larva pattern.

20130428_113601_zpsf6ae4bd1.jpg

20130428_113129_zps2be34ef3.jpg

We should praise the lowly white sucker. It's plentiful eggs make an easy meal for trout and other fish. The newly hatched fry do the same up till they can out swim the trout & salmon. The lake trout continue to feed on adult suckers because there is more meal to them than smelt will ever be.

I hope and pray that no one is spearing or wasting this precious resource in the waters that you visit.

Thanks for the info guys! I don't discriminate against suckers... that's for sure... they're always welcome to tug on my fly :).

they pull like a bull dozer and they are fun to catch. Easy sight fishing when nothing else is hungry! It turned my skunk of a day on the water into a couple of catches after I had missed/lost a couple trout.

When the big suckers are up out of the lakes spawning they are fun to catch and they certainly attract other fish to feed on the eggs. Here is one I caught in southern NH last week on a pale yellow egg pattern. ;)

DSCF0490_zps2fb11133.jpg

Never seen so much praise for the sucker in one spot. Man, I can't even stand looking at them. Caught 5 of them on Saturday, none of them shorter than 18 inches. I'd rather catch a 5 inch brookie. Certain can appreciate their function in a river though.

Never seen so much praise for the sucker in one spot. Man, I can't even stand looking at them. Caught 5 of them on Saturday, none of them shorter than 18 inches. I'd rather catch a 5 inch brookie. Certain can appreciate their function in a river though.

Ohhh come on man... aside from its mouth it's not a bad looking fish at all :)... I love trout and all that but I definitely like to get surprised by an occasional pickerel, chub or sucker :)... "Variety is spice of life" someone said... somewhere...

I've never met a person asides from you buddy who would rather catch a sucker or chub over trout and salmon! Good for you and better for us :) they do put up a good fight and help when the fishings slow!

A shame to read on some of the other fishing forums about folks spearing dozens of them and spreading them on their gardens...

The spearing season is pretty short, right?

I've never met a person asides from you buddy who would rather catch a sucker or chub over trout and salmon! Good for you and better for us :) they do put up a good fight and help when the fishings slow!

Hey man now... that's not fair :). I never said I liked them more than trout... all I'm saying is that they're always welcome guests on my line. You're lucky I know you... otherwise I would hunt you down for spreading such kind of information ;)

Here we goooo! I got my suckers on a fly :). After reading a bit and remembering how I use to catch these in Europe as a kid I finally got a couple. I lost several due to use of 6X tippet. I love how they fight. One of them was foul-hooked on the side fin while the bigger one (19") took the orange red spot. There were some huge females but they were not interested in feeding. Also the bigger males were doing their duty so no luck there either. So I got the ones on the rear of the pack that tried to chomp stuff off the bottom. The list of the new species on the fly keeps growing :)

Beautiful 19" male specimen in spawning colors...

1DSCF0259_zpsf7e21bf2.jpg

1DSCF0265_zps4025c50f.jpg

17"

1DSCF0270_zpsacd19fb6.jpg

keep a few chop them up and plant your tomato's on them best damn tomato's you can have.

I went over a small stream in Parkman yesterday and stopped to look at the water and there were around ten suckers in the pool

snag you dont wanna keep those they keep the water clean

We use to have guys from up country come to Stonington with their pick ups rounded over with suckers that we bought as lobster bait, after one load we never used them again as bait but some guys still do use these suckers as lobster bait at approx $10/bushel

Ohhh come on man... aside from its mouth it's not a bad looking fish at all :)... I love trout and all that but I definitely like to get surprised by an occasional pickerel, chub or sucker :)... "Variety is spice of life" someone said... somewhere...

Sorry,no place for pickerel in trout water.

Pickerel are native fish here and have co-existed with brook trout all along but they make your tomatoes taste good too.

Pickerel are native fish here and have co-existed with brook trout all along but they make your tomatoes taste good too.

How well is the Pike co-existing with Trout in the Belgrade Lakes Region?Cow manure makes for good fertilizer too.

I've yet to catch a pickerel in a trout water which is probably a good thing. Every now and then I get few of them in shallow waters of some Southern Maine water and I love their charge on a slowly stripped streamer. They're explosive critters. You've got to love them :).

I've yet to catch a pickerel in a trout water which is probably a good thing. Every now and then I get few of them in shallow waters of some Southern Maine water and I love their charge on a slowly stripped streamer. They're explosive critters. You've got to love them :).

I agree.I was a little vague with my comment,and this probably belongs in the conservation forum.I don't turn up my nose to any species that you can catch on a fly.One of my favorite spots is about twenty minutes from home where you can have a four species day. I just don't like to see any other "game" fish in trout/salmon waters, particularly borderline ones that seem to be the norm in this part of the state.I posted in another topic about a good trout pond that had declined due to the introduction of bass and pickerel.

Snag, you might want to read the State of Maine pickerel management plan www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/species/management_plans/pickerel.pdf