Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin McKay

“Two Hand Trout” – by Rick Matney

Nothing like being able to reach out and pluck trout from the far seam with a two hander! The light weight two handed rods have a great feel and the new lines enhance their performance making trout fishing pretty sweet. LL & SMB too! Plus they are universal - fish streamers, wets and dries. Hardly a day when there isn't one in the quiver.

I just ordered a 11' spey 3/4 from ebay. Only $279 with free shipping. Only two left. I do not know how to rig it up with proper lines but will try to get it figured out. I think a 2/3 besides being too costly for my wallet....would be too small for me anyway. Just fyi.

I just ordered a 11' spey 3/4 from ebay. Only $279 with free shipping. Only two left. I do not know how to rig it up with proper lines but will try to get it figured out. I think a 2/3 besides being too costly for my wallet....would be too small for me anyway. Just fyi.

Get ready to spend lots of money.

I haven't been at this that long but here is some advice when downsizing the Two Handers that I learned the hard way. Before going to the lower weight rods or any two hander, check the spey charts like RIO offers and look up the rod you are thinking about buying ( If it exists) . You may be surprised at the lack of lines available for making traditional spey type casts with these lower weight rods. If your intent is to make long overhead casts with these smaller rods you will be very happy. Traditional spey type casts not so much unless a matched line is shown in these charts.

For those of you who are contemplating the switch to the two hander try to buy something that comes with a matched line. This will keep your expenses down.

Good luck

Hey guys,

I am available to answer all questions about two hand rods and correct lines.  I build trout nymphing switches to high end two hand Atlantic Salmon rods.  As a Certified IFFF Two Hand Casting Instructor I am also available for teaching.  You can check out my work at www.TheFlySpokeShop.com as well as on my blog at www.FlySpoke.com.  I have been fishing with micro trout Spey for many years and greatly enjoy the advantages they have.

12801162_1700481980204958_6021025549911674831_n.jpg