Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Whitewolf

Low cost two handed trout spey rod.....

Just fyi.

I bought an 11' 3/4 spey brand new with case and free shipping the other day for $279. Today it is lowered to $251 with free shipping. It is ebay thru a vendor called flyroddersheaven.net if I remembered it right. Pleasure dealing with the seller. It is a website ran by dis-abled veterans. I had my address wrong and had to update it twice. He communicated very well via email and was good to do business with.

Anywhoooo.....only 2 of them left on ebay. 'Methinks a good deal for anyone looking for a light spey/switch rod for trout. Mine is due to arrive tomorrow. The manafacturer suggested 275-325 grain window but 300 being the optimum.

oh....Wind Warrior 11' 3/4 spey by Amundson.

jim

ooops! Thought I was doing good....but bought lines and each seemed not that costly in the moment. Impulse buying....duh. Another site says a fellow got a blank from Steve in Oregon for $100 and a "custom line" for said rod for another $60. 11' 3wt blank. Wow. I went way over that and would have preferred Steve's deal had I known about it. I was talked into a $40 running line and a Skagit Max Short head, then decided to get another one with different grain windo from another site. I am out $455! Now regret it. Oh well....done did it. At least trying to inform others.....duh

oh....I posted my rod info on flyanglersonline.com on the flyanglersonline bulletin board and that is where the fellow told about his deal with Steve in Oregon. I think Steve is is Bob Meiser's shop. My memory....I dunno....hope is correct......

ooops! Thought I was doing good....but bought lines and each seemed not that costly in the moment. Impulse buying....duh. Another site says a fellow got a blank from Steve in Oregon for $100 and a "custom line" for said rod for another $60. 11' 3wt blank. Wow. I went way over that and would have preferred Steve's deal had I known about it. I was talked into a $40 running line and a Skagit Max Short head, then decided to get another one with different grain windo from another site. I am out $455! Now regret it. Oh well....done did it. At least trying to inform others.....duh

oh....I posted my rod info on flyanglersonline.com on the flyanglersonline bulletin board and that is where the fellow told about his deal with Steve in Oregon. I think Steve is is Bob Meiser's shop. My memory....I dunno....hope is correct.......

Join the club

There never is anything called inexpensive in our sport of fly fishing. If you save with that so called inexpensive item, the related items always get you.

My advice

Keep it and enjoy a new way of fly fishing. You will not regret it. :)

not sure what you are going to use the rod for, but I think you'll like the Skagit line for swinging flies. If you wanted a set-up that was more versatile, you'd probably rather have a scandi line or even an over-lined (5 or 6 weight) weight forward floater. The Skagit is useless if you want to run nymphs.

but...I'd prefer to swing flies with a two hander anyway...