Maine Fly Fish
Whitewolf

New to ME. How about a 8' pond hopper on the ponds?

I am new to Maine but see a lot of words icw ponds. I don't know any of the ponds there. Will be there in May.

I think the fastest and easiest way onto the still water is from a boat and trailer. As opposed to a float tube, chest waders, belt, booties to protect the stocking foot waders, fins, tethers, air in the tube, gear....etc. A boat, float it off the trailer, go park and go fish.

I am wondering about an 8' pond hopper foam filled little boat. It used to fit inside my truck with an 8' bed and shell camper. Could close the camper shell door and go somewhere. Beauty of that is in the higher elevations of the White Mtns here in AZ one would get a shower almost every afternoon. And traveling on dirt roads....well, if you didn't have your boat covered you got a ton of dust and dirt into the boat and then it rains.....ugly. But inside the camper shell all was great.

Anywhooooo........I am in AZ and wondering if I should figure out how to get my little pond hopper to Maine when I drive there end of April. I have an electric trolling motor on the front and a little 1.5 hp outboard on the back. Obviously almost need a boat ramp to launche it. Don't have a trailer for it yet. Well, yes I do. Bought a 10' utility trailer last year in ME. Sorry to ramble.

Would said little boat be usable on very many of the still waters in ME?

tks n advance for any help

Jim

Pond access varies greatly in Maine, every thing from concrete boat launches to multi mile hikes.

If you enjoyed it where you are, you will find perfect spots for it here, but you will also find a number of places that its just not feasible.

If you can man handle it 15 or 20 feet you should be able to access a fair amount of ponds.

My self, I think a canoe is a more versatile choice in Maine.

Thanks Wildkarde

I am not sure how to get the little thing to ME. Wife doesn't want to pull anything......

I have feet trouble and lumbar and structure pains. I have thought I cannot do a kayak or a canoe due to the sitting posture. However lately I have seen some canoes different than what one visions....that might be good for me. I intend to try them this summer.

I think standing on a floating boat is close to acceptable to me as opposed to standing in Wal-Mart. But even if not....I can fish from a sitting position in a pedestal seat at the bow of a boat.

I have all the gear to float fish with inflatables though and will be bringing them. I have a typical 6' toon with oars. And a Water Skeeter backpacker lite they don't make anymore I think. And a little v shaped Stealthrider inflatable. I am ok with that.

I suppose I could sell the pond hopper and just get a new one in ME. I happen to like the one I have. It has a bolt down seat mount in the middle. The newer ones the seats usually just slide in a groove on the boat. Guess that not so bad....maybe I could get a 10'...

Oh Heck E Dern....why not just a small jon boat.? oh well

tks for the help

I like my tube for a number of reasons. One of which is it feels good on my back. If the water is a little chilly (like it was in Alaska) I wear one of those heat wraps on my lower back where the water line is. Don't get the kind that sticks to your back. Did that once, never again. I use the kind that have a velcro belt. ThermaCare is the brand.

I agree about the kayak. I thought I would like fishing out of one but after buying one and fishing, I decided I didn't like it. I much prefer using my solo canoe (on bigger water). I have one of those high back Seatbacker canoe seats. I put all my gear in it, strap on the wheels and pull it to the water.

Bigspencer makes a good point about your vehicle being just as important as the choice of watercraft, a two wheel drive truck with street tires is asking for a ton of headaches for a vast amount of ponds. I have seen tourists stuck in the "parking area" of what I consider easy access ponds!

Wildcarde,

4wd + clearance makes all-conditions access possible.. After rains and mud can limit access to 4wd, but lots of areas...if you just take it slow(due to road roughness), with some clearance, can make it okay... Think some vitals are a healthy spare & properly working jack...etc.

Lots of places are no problem...

As you can see from my avatar I drive a Jeep and go pretty much where I please. However deep mud will make me find another place to fish faster than anything else. I tend to be alone and walking 10 or 20 miles+ just to get back to pavement is not my idea of a fun night fishing.

I wasn't bsing about the tourist getting stuck in the parking lot. A few years ago I saw a 2wd full size pick up stuck in the parking area of a small pond. He was fine getting there on the very well maintained gravel road, but the 30ft road into the parking lot and parking lot itself is always slimy and wet. Helped get the poor guy out and all was well, but he was in a pickle until I showed up.

Some clearance and some decent all terrain tires will get you to more ponds than time can be found to fish.

If I had that boat...I'd bring it.... provided it was'nt a huge pain in the a** to get it here to Maine...but if it is the back of the truck? on the roof? on a trailer? in the moving van? what the hey?.....There is plenty of opportunity to use one of those mini bass boats in Maine. Plenty...

There is never a chance that fewer watercraft is better than more watercraft options to an angler....

If you get here and for some strange reason you don't like it? I'll buy it....

I got the boat to Maine. $515 for a U-Haul but I got it here. It is too heavy to put on top of anything. I have a 10' utility trailer with a ramp so it should work fine. It is very tough and so dragging over anything is not a worry for me. I have a 1.5 outboard for it but just found out it will not start. Pain in the arse to work on that thing but I have to do it. I got two old dead trolling motors and cut the shaft down to be short, added a pully thing and mount one on the front left and one on the back right with a ratchet. Hang anchors from them and anytime want to anchor just push a lever and the anchor drops straight down to the bottom. Got a small 12lb battery from Batteries Plus that should work for the trolling motor enough for an outing....and then recharge. My body aches and pains just would not allow me to do kayaks and canoes. I have zero fear of water. It is just an age and body pain things that keep me outta them. The sittting positions will not work for me. I think I am going to sell the foam filled pontoon and all my inflatables. A round one, a stealthrider, a Backpacker Lite, and an old ODC816 8' toon I put a motor on. Think I just fish out of my 15' aluminum boat.......

As long as you keep fishing. That's the mission. sounds like you got that figured out :)

Well I finally got around to trying the foam filled boat and the 8' inflatable.  Nice! I have a 10' utility trailer with a drop down ramp in the back. The foam filled boat is rather heavy. NOT going to hoist it up on top of ANYTHING. But it slides in and out of the utility trailer easy. Tried it on Megunticook Lake. Sweet! Battery operated MinnKota trolling motor on the front...I turned the wiring around for it to still propel me forward....although mounted on the front. An Evinrude Mate 1.5 gas outboard on the rear transom. This boat has a transom mount at the front and the back. Worked out sweet. 

Then tried the the old 8' ODC inflatable.  Even more sweet! I modified it a bit. I made a home made mount behind the seat for a battery and a little 8lb thrust trolling motor. Took it out with a very small battery. Went quite a ways and back with no sign of the battery even weakening. So figured it might be too heavy but put another bigger battery on. Not big like a car battery but bigger. Wow. Worked fine  and it  is so much  more capacity. I should be able to go on  forever.....sorta

I tried the sling mount for the Bottom Line Fishing Buddy 4200 but it sways and turns horizontal when moving. So I took it off.  I  mounted a block on the frame to hold the fish finder. Discovered it prevents using an  oar. But works fine.....and having flippers on....and the motor...I don't even think I need the oars. So I go out without them. 

I went our on a  pond and got a nice approx 2.5lb bass. Mistake though. Didn't check the fly after catching the bass. Next strike the fly was gone. The knot came loose. Shucks. I am so new to bass fishing in Maine. I lost the fly. Only one I had....and cannot find  said fly on the internet. It was a big fly...I think a  diver....chartreuse with a small stripe of red on bottom about a third of the length of the fly. Some flash in it.  Deer hair for the head with eyes. And I think some streamer material  in the body with the flared out feathers to  imitate legs of a frog I guess. 

Went out on Ellis Pond late yesterday evening.  Used the Water Skeeter brand  Backpacker Lite with flippers. That was also a good experience. For simplicity and mobility it was super. I got a small bass this time. Around 9" and I missed another.....but think he was small also. Nothing like the hit when I got the bigger bass. I changed fly's 5 times before I got the bass. It  was on a hmmmm. I dunno. A small popper in mouse fly colors. A deer hair head with eyes, and the typical brown  body with a hackle tail. The black and grey hackle. 

Finally got started. After two rotator cuff surgerys back to back, and then the wife's hip surgery.... and then a winter out west.....

Finally fishing in Maine....but will be back next April 1............

I have a 12 foot Pack canoe.  It's really really light.  Easy to carry and load onto my SUV.  I also use outriggers to be very stable.  I have a Sitbacker canoe seat, which helps my back. It's an awesome fishing platform.

I prefer my old town in Maine. has 1000 lb capacity, Is fairly light and mobile, yet is large enough to handle fairly rough water too. As we all know a calm pond can become 3 foot salmon chops in less than 15 minutes. And Charlie lepreste won’t forcast that for u. But as long as your mindful of the pond you take an 8’ boat on, it’ll do you well. and a a 4wd is nice to have for sure. Xj gets me just about anywhere I need to go to catch the big ones.