Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Russ

Canoe and Kayak Stabilizers

A lot of you wanted to know about my outriggers/stabilizers I use on my canoe and kayak. They are made by Spring Creek Outfitters. I have their new catalog and it's full of great stuff for your canoe or kayak. Here is their website:

http://www.springcreek.com/

?tn=-735905652

I've gotta ask Russ...if the whole point of running a tiny canoe (like your Pack or a Discovery 119) is to keep it super light and sleek, why would you want to go through the effort and expense of putting these outriggers on? Not cheap or small.

Ultimately, what I'm getting at is this- if you're adding the width, weight, and expense of those, why not just fish out of a full sized canoe that can be easily stood up in? I think 11 and 12 footers are cool (stock as they come), but I just don't see the advantage for small pond stuff if you're going to start adding bulk. Do you take these outriggers on and off every time you unload the canoe from your Element? Don't take this the wrong way- not trying to be critical at all...just would like to know your rational and thoughts on it.

For me personally, I spend most of my pond time in a float tube...but also keep an OT Osprey 155 on a favorite pond for evenings that I have company...or simply am in the mood to stand up and fish.

In reply, the stabilizers don't weigh all that much. The reason I use them is I don't want to tip over...period. I am getting older and getting pitched into the water isn't that attractive. I can stand up in my short canoe or my long canoe. I never tried to stand up in my kayak, but I bet I could. If it's a small pond, I use my tube, usually. The whole system comes off quick and easy. I leave the Universal Receiver on the canoe and pull the floats off.

If you are going to the Eldredge Expo, I can bring the stabilizers with me for you to look at.

If you are going to the Eldredge Expo, I can bring the stabilizers with me for you to look at.

Would be interesting to get a look at it Russ....

The reason I use them is I don't want to tip over...period.

I get what you're saying Russ- none of us want to do that. ;) All I was getting at is- why not just use a wide 16'er that can be easily stood up in...rather than spend the money for the add on. Bottom line though, if you enjoy that little Pack, power to ya. They are cool crafts that have a devote segment of people that love them. Thanks for sharing your set up.

If I don't run into you at the expo, you are always welcome to stop by here at the house and say hi when you're up this way. I was just working last week on a property a few miles from your camp.

• Like 1

I like the idea of stabilizers. Thanks for posting this one.

I used to stand in my canoe (17 foot) and cast a lot. 15 years ago. The stabilizers would allow me to do that again I bet. As far as flipping I'm worried more about losing gear than getting wet. Standing is a nice change from sitting for long stretches of time.

I'll have them with me on Saturday.

I have a 16 footer and love it. It's a Mad River Kevlar... light!! I originally bought the stabilizers for it when my wife and I fished together. We both made the switch to tubes. We bought kayaks for our lake property to paddle and fish around the lake. I did not like kayak fishing so I wanted a 12 foot canoe. After getting the 12 footer, I fell in love with fishing out of it. Just me and my gear paddling around small ponds and lakes. If I get tired, I can drop anchor and take a nap. :D Life is good.

I just bought a 11ft emotion angler yak as was wondering just how much more stable a SOT kayak would be with outriggers?

Would It be "a bit more stable" or " unbelievably stable"

I will make custom stabilizers if need be and if you all feel it will GREATLY improve stability

I believe they would make it extremely stable. Check out their website for info on kayak stabilizers.

I have a 16 footer and love it. It's a Mad River Kevlar... light!! I originally bought the stabilizers for it when my wife and I fished together. We both made the switch to tubes. We bought kayaks for our lake property to paddle and fish around the lake. I did not like kayak fishing so I wanted a 12 foot canoe. After getting the 12 footer, I fell in love with fishing out of it. Just me and my gear paddling around small ponds and lakes. If I get tired, I can drop anchor and take a nap. :D Life is good.

Speaking of dropping anchor, I have the Pack Angler and I can't figure out why they put the anchor on the bow. On a pond you end up facing into the wind and on a river you're looking upstream. I just put in a stern anchor assembly so I can drop either or both depending on conditions.

Speaking of dropping anchor, I have the Pack Angler and I can't figure out why they put the anchor on the bow. On a pond you end up facing into the wind and on a river you're looking upstream. I just put in a stern anchor assembly so I can drop either or both depending on conditions.

EDIT: For designs..the anchor in the bow...seems like a strange one, but may be pretty stable with a small hull.

As a solo canoe the Pack is only 12' long and 33 pounds in weight, adding an anchor at the stern plus the weight of a person aft could be cause for a weight distribution issue.

For that reason think Old Town opted for the bow anchor option. May not be fact but just an opinion.

Ray

Since I only weigh 140lbs and the anchor weighs 1.5lbs I'll take the chance. Do you think the pull down on the stern from the anchor deployed in current or wind would make the canoe unstable? Maybe using both anchors would overcome this if so.

I could definitely use these on my kayak after I've had a couple.

I have the Scotty Anchor thingies on the bow and stern. Works great in any kind of wind.

Since I only weigh 140lbs and the anchor weighs 1.5lbs I'll take the chance. Do you think the pull down on the stern from the anchor deployed in current or wind would make the canoe unstable? Maybe using both anchors would overcome this if so.

140 pounds???? My left foot weighs that much. :D:lol: I haven't weighed that much since grade school. Oh to be young again.

I've got anchors both bow and stern. I can't seem to drop them through the ice though. Hard to paddle too. 140's way above my fighting weight. I used to wrestle 98 lbs. :P