Maine Fly Fish
peasy207

FINISHING THE CORK

My two hand TFO is showing some wear and had asked a few guys out in new York while I was there what to use.... one former rod builder recommended gun stock oil..... anyone else use any sealer or oil on the grips?

I've used flat finish urethane spar varnish, very little of it.

Just wipe it on with a cloth, let dry. Repeat if necessary.

You can use very fine sandpaper afterwards to smooth it and make the finish very flat.

Some other finishes I've tried aren't immune to some common things, like bug repellent. They turn sticky.

This rod has it on all the cork. You can hardly tell to look at it.

DSCN0424cs_zpscrvhkufc.jpg

that looks good ... ill have to see how deep the chips are in mine to see how it will work, thinking just a good cleaning then a finish should solve the problem

You mentioned chips? Most cork today is full of imperfections. I use a mixture of white glue and fine cork to fill the voids. Then sand the area with decreasing grit sand paper. I keep my handles clean with an end of season sanding with 600 grit paper.

I wipe down all my fishing tackle, Rods, Reels and everything on the boat with Fluid Film. Made of Sheep Lanolin so it makes your hands so soft you cant grip the tackle box.  Great waterproofing also.  Going to have to try it on some dry flies, just thought of that.