Maine Fly Fish
Alan

Two handed trout rods

Cap

I understand exactly what you mean about all rods in general and how they behave when the match is perfect.

I have a pretty good handle on casting most any single hand rod and know from years of casting these things what you are saying.  Dialing it in for yourself isn't as easy as just throwing a rod line manufactures recommended line on and calling it good.  When the rod is married to the correct line for the type of fishing you plan on doing then it is a true thing of beauty.  Sometimes I just close my eyes and feel the cast when the match is right.  In your minds eye you know where that line,leader and fly is in flight at all times. That is when you know you have it just right.

Casting in a gym I don't look at it quite the same way; but do agree that fishing a rod is quite a different story when looking for that perfect rod.   

On the other hand some of these gents and ladies have done a pretty good job of matching lines to the rod and they are still a pleasure to cast.  Besides the camaraderie over the years with these folks is worth the trip in of itself.  I think fly fishing people in general are pretty good ambassadors to the sport and are some of the greatest bunch of individuals around. It is a pleasure to know them.  They look you in the eye and shake your hand; or in the case of one of the ladies in the sport,a hug is offered as well as the handshake they truly mean it.  Nothing pretentious with this group of folks.

The idea of keeping the rod size down to the smaller size rods for the mini clave is a good idea.  They don't have to be micro speys. A smaller rod in reason just to get the hang of it is not a problem.  This will keep everyone on the same page when offering help with a cast.

It is pretty difficult going with a bunch of folks and being totally mismatched with everyone else. I am more than willing to step aside and let someone new to the sport have a go with what I have.  Remember I'm there to learn as well from those who are better at this than me and share what I have learned thru osmosis over the last couple of years.

jcoops

It is nice to see you have weighed in on the topic.  What a pleasure to have someone like you consider joining us.  Your recomendation for the Andro is a good one and I know that you are a pretty fine caster as well.  Thanks John.  Things are really looking up. :)

peasy207

Thank you too for joining in to the conversation.  It appears that the topic is gaining traction and that is what we are all looking for, that common interest.  

Alan...I have participated in various "Claves, fly tying expositions and Super boos in the past....Yes people are very friendly and accommodating. I have met some very good friends this way...

But, I guess I am more in the line with Aldo as far as fishing and socializing on the river and in general.

I suppose I'm pretty anti social as far a strangers....I don't communicate with people on the river and in fact I try to stay clear of most...I will of course when you have no other choice...but usually if I see someone when I'm fishing...I go the other way...I like solitude or to fish with just a few close friends.

It doesn't mean I can't deal with it. I have fished enough in New York, and other high volume places like the Rapid or the Roach or GLS to understand the methods.... but for me I PREFER to be "far from the maddening crowd" so I fish in places that are not at all that popular and I try to keep them unpopular.

The internet and forums and claves and such have hurt the quality of the fishing experience in Maine by having certain places IMHO wrecked by too many people "loving them to death".

The reason is clear...I fish for fun and recreation....Even though I have a Master Maine Registered Guides License I only guide people I choose to fish with, or canoe/camping trips with kids......I don't need the money and in my earlier guiding experiences I also have learned that I don't need the aggravation to guide , just to guide.

My reasoning is pretty simple..... just look at the threads on this forum concerning fighting,, or taking a crap in the  middle of the trail or crowding, or spot burning, or picking up or leaving trash, or closing parking areas, or whining about other fisherman's tackle or preferred methods, or any of the other stuff you read about on fly fishing or any fishing forums...

it just isn't my style.....I'm an old hippy...I'm into "mellow" scenes....

You would be surprised to find how few people you will see (none!) on a big river like the Penobscot if you know where to go.

Alan - I'll pile on to the idea of a 2-hander day...got my first (and only) two hander last spring, took the EBFS class and have fished it exactly once since.  Thus, any chance to get on the water will be great since in comparison to me, everyone else is an old pro.

Dave

It probably goes unsaid Alan, but count me in for any and all Spey clave ideas. Id love to meet more people and learn more about this two handed Rod world. I could even bring the ones I'm building! The more people the merrier!

Jumbo John

It sounds like you are at the same point in the transition to the THR as most of us were.  It is a metamorphosis over time until it all clicks and then the transition will be complete. :)

By your interest in the topic you are almost there.

Thanks for the reply Dave.

Jallenjet

I know where you are in the transition and you are on the door step :)

Thanks Josh

My experience is mostly with water born anchor/ Skagit style casting. I am mostly a hack but love this style casting. I have an 8 and 5wt setup currently. Still haven't got the right grain line combo yet for my casting style with that Rod. But, if I get the 3 wt the I want! I would definitely be down on getting together to rake the water! The andro is a great place to do it as well

A.L.Poland

The three and four weight rods is where I'm at now.  They are fun to cast and the rod manufacturers are coming around with lines appropriate for the smaller rods.

The Andro is one of my favorite rivers to fish.

Thanks Alex

I've been on the doorstep for awhile now and still can't get over it.   One day I can cast my Spey rod pretty good and the next I want to throw it in the water.  I've done the EBFS Spey casting class and did good, but I haven't used it very often since.   Like most things, you have to practice it all the time to be proficient.  Besides it's harder to cast a long rod, mine is a 12 foot 7 wt.  Most of our rivers aren't big enough to use it.  If I build another rod, it will be a 10 or 11 foot 3 or 4 wt.

As for a mini clave, I 'm up for it.

Hey Alan,

You can count me in on a spey-clave as well, if anything, to watch how one throws these long-bodied heavy heads(ie Skagit-like lines).  Have an 8' #5wt...with me sticking out my arm I can simulate a little bit..have never thrown them before...will have no problem, just need to watch and feel the weight distribution...

When battling blackflies, having forgotten headnet, I've been throwing Snap-T's, C's..you name it...for decades :D

The Andro is one of my favorite rivers to fish.

Thanks Alex

Based on our previous conversations, I think you and I haunt the same areas of the Andro. I'm very

interested in the "trout weight" two-handed rods. I'm not sure I can ask for the time to travel very

far this summer, but if the clave happens on the Andro I'll find a way to be there. If it happens

somewhere else, perhaps you and I can still find time to meet up on the Andro.

Be well,

Erik

Hey Alan,

You can count me in on a spey-clave as well, if anything, to watch how one throws these long-bodied heavy heads(ie Skagit-like lines).  Have an 8' #5wt...with me sticking out my arm I can simulate a little bit..have never thrown them before...will have no problem, just need to watch and feel the weight distribution...

When battling blackflies, having forgotten headnet, I've been throwing Snap-T's, C's..you name it...for decades :D

As silly as it  may sound to those reading this post you can practice many of the spey moves with a single hand rod. I did myself :)  There are many videos now showing these casts using a single handed rod and is a good way to practice these moves before moving up to the two hand rod.  However;  there is nothing like the feel with these casts when using that bottom hand and feel the explosion of power with very little effort.

Alan, let me know if I can be of any assistance.  You have been at the game for a while now and things are rapidly evolving in equipment as well as casting styles.  Good to see you last Saturday.

Alan, let me know if I can be of any assistance.  You have been at the game for a while now and things are rapidly evolving in equipment as well as casting styles.  Good to see you last Saturday.

William

Thanks for the offer.  It was nice seeing you again.