Maine Fly Fish

Hi all,

New to the forum, but grew up in the midcoast and am an avid fly fisherman.

Does anyone here currently have arrangements to access rivers or streams from private property, either as an angler or a land-owner?

Public sites are great but can get a bit crowded and sometimes I'd happily pay $15 or $20 to fish out of someone's backyard.

If so, how do you find each other? Is there any kind of financial consideration? Would love to pick your brain! Thanks!

There's oodles of publicly accessible water out there that doesn't get crowded, depending on time, place, and species you intend to target.  Happy to recommend if you want by PM, though I confess I probably couldn't be especially helpful with coldwater species. I've honestly not ventured too far into the williwaws for them here in Maine, as I find that taking even a modest walk or paddle on even well known rivers and streams can buy you solitude, especially mid-week. Can't help you much with private land owners - don't know any who provide pay to play access.  There may be some out there; I've just never looked or asked here in Maine.  If its posted, I go elsewhere; always figured that if the owner wanted to keep folks out that badly, whatever I was willing to spend (not much in any case) wouldn't change their mind, and they'd probably not take kindly to being asked (which is just an assumption on my part).  If it's not posted, I walk in.

There's oodles of publicly accessible water out there that doesn't get crowded, depending on time, place, and species you intend to target.  Happy to recommend if you want by PM, though I confess I probably couldn't be especially helpful with coldwater species. I've honestly not ventured too far into the williwaws for them here in Maine, as I find that taking even a modest walk or paddle on even well known rivers and streams can buy you solitude, especially mid-week. Can't help you much with private land owners - don't know any who provide pay to play access.  There may be some out there; I've just never looked or asked here in Maine.  If its posted, I go elsewhere; always figured that if the owner wanted to keep folks out that badly, whatever I was willing to spend (not much in any case) wouldn't change their mind, and they'd probably not take kindly to being asked (which is just an assumption on my part).  If it's not posted, I walk in.

+1

Never had a problem finding productive water and solitude. Doing the research and exploring is part of the adventure, IMO. I've just skipped over posted property since there's plenty of accessible waters. Far different than deer hunting, in my limited experiences. 

+1

Never had a problem finding productive water and solitude. Doing the research and exploring is part of the adventure, IMO. I've just skipped over posted property since there's plenty of accessible waters. Far different than deer hunting, in my limited experiences. 

+1 & ditto Aldo's...

There are plenty of nice pieces of water once you get away from the cities and towns up here...imho. 

Maine is very different than other States when it comes to access to water.   There are gated roads that limit access to clients who stay at the sporting camps, several up in the Rangeley area.

Thanks guys, much obliged!

I've been fishing in NY the last couple years where it can be a bit of a different story as I'm sure some of you know.

Can't wait for Spring!

I drive around midcoast areas all the time and see great looking rivers and streams that I would love to fish but not sure about access.  If there is a bridge crossing the water, can you fish near the bridge without invading private property?  How much right of way do fishermen have?

Russ , if there are no trespassing signs on both side of the stream up or down stream  you are **** out of luck .. unless you float it because they also own or have posted the river bed under the water if no signs at all then access is implied ... from what I understand if only one side is posted then access from the other side of the stream not posted is fine but only travel half way across the stream bed  because they have it posted from the opposite bank and that posting implies they own half of the river bed ...I think ?  

You got it Ron, Maine law says the landowner owns the stream bottom, but not the water. If posted on both sides, or if the same owner owns both sides, you are out of luck when wading. Many land owners will let you fish if you ask, fishermen are usually not the reason the land is posted. Many land owners also believe that fishermen have a right to fish the water and will allow you to cross their land to do so. With great ponds that is definitely the case, but the legal right to cross private land is not as clear as many think it is.