Maine Fly Fish
plecain

One more before the season gets busy

As I said in another thread, I bought some Sage TXL-F blanks when they were on closeout.

This last one is a 4 wt. 7'10" rod.

This 'pen blank' looks like a good color match for the TXL-F on the outside. You never know what the inside will look like until it's been cut down.

csDSCN0719_zpsby8m6lc9.jpg

The starting block of wood is quite a bit longer than a reel seat needs to be, so you can select the part you want to get the best figure.

After rounding and some light sanding. There's no finish on it yet. Has some interesting figure on the near end.

csDSCN0725_zpswfpt36ct.jpg

Onward.

Looking good Paul. Will be watching for updates.

22 minutes ago, Swamptrout said:

Looks nice, pretty void free this time around eh?

Yes. This one's pretty solid all through.

There's a couple of tiny voids that will end up hidden by the reel seat hardware.

The part that shows will be the part that's on the right end in the picture. It's more interesting than the left end.

I really love the rods u and swamptrout build been making me want to build a rod and I don't have any glass rods yet thinking I will build a glass rod first what are some sites u guys use to get the materials like guides blanks ect.

11 minutes ago, theflyguy said:

I really love the rods u and swamptrout build been making me want to build a rod and I don't have any glass rods yet thinking I will build a glass rod first what are some sites u guys use to get the materials like guides blanks ect.

Blanks I get from ebay mostly if I'm looking for no-name blanks. I've never built a glass rod. Maybe swamptrout will chime in on those.

For name brand blanks, I'm cheap. I usually find them on some kind of closeout sale, like this last group of TXL-F blanks, most of which came from http://www.mrfc.com

http://www.mudhole.com/ has the largest selection of everything from blanks to rod building supplies.

http://rodbuilding.org/ is a site with lots and lots of discussion about every aspect of rod building.

Good luck.

Sweet yeah I have checked out mudhole I appreciate the info I have a 2,3,5,6,9 weights and a old south bend bamboo from the 50s no idea on what wieght it is due to old style wieght markings and I don't use it anyway as it's fairly old all my rods are graphite so that's why I am thinking a fiberglass rod I love  the ones I have seen u guys build can't wait to see how this one comes out for you

Here's the reel seat (finally), dry fit. The colors came though nicely.

csDSCN2023_zpsdepcepqo.jpg

Now for a little audience participation.

Wraps.  Here are three schemes I'm considering.

csDSCN2027_zpsitudgj3i.jpg

From left-to right: 

Orange with brown trim bands.

Brown with orange trim bands.

Black, orange, brown (then maybe orange, black).

Please ignore the crappy wraps on the right two.  This is only a test.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions on colors, bands, etc.

Orange with brown trim. Reel seat looks really nice.

Ron

being envious of nice work first off. black/brown, 2nd one, with the orange is pretty subtle, sinister looking.  

I also like the middle one and really nice work on the reel seat I love the colors in it. Can't wait to see more

In deference to the three members above, and not wanting to be known as too obstinate and stubborn, I would like to change my vote. I vote for the one in the middle! Anyone think I might be any good at politics?:P:P:P

Ron

Now we get to see if Paul likes our choice!!!!!

Ron

22 minutes ago, SLC Ron said:

Now we get to see if Paul likes our choice!!!!!

Ron

I'll end the suspense. I used the brown with orange trim, three trim wraps per major wrap.

Just like the one in the center of the picture above.

• Like 1

This is it so far. I've been busy with my honey-do list lately.

csDSCN2029_zpssyanwppb.jpg

Been busy fishing and with other things, but I'm back at this rod.

I generally like plain cork, but decided to do something a little different with this one.

Here's the glued-up grip. The black and maroon bands are acrylic. The variegated cork adds a little weight, but this is a 4 wt. rod, so should be OK.

csDSCN2061_zps3y0seyj6.jpg

After most of the sanding/shaping. Still a lot of fine sanding to go.

csDSCN2064_zpssqnf4f50.jpg

I think it will look OK next to that reel seat.

• Like 1

Done.

This took longer than usual. I changed my mind about the pattern of the wraps at least three times. Here's where I ended up.

csDSCN2072_zpsp4lymycs.jpg

The colors of the seat, acrylic in the grip, the blank, and the wraps matched pretty well.

csDSCN2069_zpscpmezibf.jpg

csDSCN2066_zpse1guqir5.jpg

csDSCN2076_zpseb9acbcz.jpg

Because of the heavier cork and the plastic in the grip, I knew this wouldn't be as light as it could have been. It weighs 3.1 oz. But, all the added weight is in the butt section. It balances well with a couple of reels I tried, so I'm happy with it. Some people won't like the non-traditional Fuji ceramic guides. I've used them on a few rods and really like them.

On to the streams.

• Like 1

Awesome job...that is a work of art!