Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Aldo

Wood Stabilizer

Went back to the old country last week and spent a few days with the extended family on ancestral property in the Appenines outside Rome.  They still maintain an olive grove originally planted by my great grandfather more than a century ago.  It just happened to be pruning time, and I took the liberty of poking around in the piles of cuttings and found a beautiful piece of burled wood that I thought would make a really cool reel seat if it survives the lathe and drill. 

My question is, do any of you know where I could send it to get the wood stabilized?

Actually looking for chemically stabilized / impregnated.

Aldo,   What a great find and idea. Keep us informed, would like to see a finished product. 

Ron

Can't help you bud, sorry.   I've seen some home grown setups using an old pressure cooker and some resin and seen some good results but its dangerous and a lot can go wrong.   And if things aren't done right, no matter how many coats of spar you put on the outside moisture will find its way in and the result aint pretty……. I've purposely stayed away from doing my own wood inserts for that very reason.  

I'd try the various rod building forums and ask around.

Good luck though, what a wonderful history to have in an insert. 

• Like 1

Aldo,

Take a look at contacting Kerry Carver, owner and operator of Carver Calls, he is out west and produces some awesome work and resin stabilizes all kinds of wood. He is a master at crafting hand made predator calls.

I have a set of 5 coyote calls that he custom made for me out of spalted maple. They are a work of art and perform wonderfully.

Sixguns

• Like 1

I went and dug around to find a couple of pictures to show you the quality of his work.

Sixguns

IMAG0315.jpg

IMAG0379.jpg