Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Swamptrout

A most interesting find

So this managed to fall into my lap the other day, a vintage yellow Lamiglas fiberglass blank which I believe is a 705(7'5wt)   Upon giving it the wiggle test and then taking measurements of the tiptop and butt diameters and comparing them to some of the older Lami specs I am relatively sure I am correct.  If so this is a wicked cool find!!  A stubby 5 weight good in the tight stuff, but not a noodle by any means, its got some meat in the trunk to put the boots to em.  The butt measures .431 in diameter, can you say reserve power? 

The good news is that it almost totally mint, the finish is perfect, straight as an arrow, it has a unique grain in the glass fibers that I find appealing.

The bad news…..its been shortened by 2 inches.  At some point in its long life in storage the tiptop must have cracked or broken, it looks to be cut for sure.  The tip section has been shortened by an inch, and another inch was cut off the end of the butt to make all things equal.  

Either way, I don't think its going to make much of a difference and am looking forward to building this fella up.

Snake brand guides and reel seat have been ordered, cork grip is all glued and ready to be turned.

Heres a couple pictures of the blank itself.

P4301895_zpsizprauel.jpg

P4301897_zpsnaepxegg.jpg

• Like 1

wow yeah that is cool almost looks wood grain can't wait to see it further along 

Nice subdued yellow color.

I can think of a lot of places where a short 5 wt. will work.

Brad,   What luck and a great find. Where did you locate an old beauty like this? Keep us up to date on your latest build.

Ron

17 hours ago, SLC Ron said:

Brad,   What luck and a great find. Where did you locate an old beauty like this? Keep us up to date on your latest build.

Ron

I got it from an estate sale in Connecticut.  I really wanted the 7'5wt Hardy Scepter blank they had as well, but the price went through the roof!  

Ok some progress:

Such a wonderful blank deserves nothing but the best, Snake Brand Universals.

P5141907_zpss69gjaj6.jpg

Lemke Concepts LC14 hardware.

P5141903_zps6wuhm7u7.jpg

Classic 10mm low profile stripper from Pac Bay.

P5141906_zpsceciywtq.jpg

Decent Cork.

P5141904_zpshencwqg7.jpg

Some sand paper, a little filing and boring, lots of test fitting and we are complete.  A classic japanese inspired candle stick grip, simple yet very comfortable in hand.  A classic Heddon Daisy 310 from the same era completes and balances things out quite nicely.

P5151959_zpsnjntjtgv.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good so far. 

I don't think I've seen that grip shape before.

Its a modification of the Ritz.   There are several different styles associated with Ritz style grips but they all share much a large taper leading towards to the front.  On larger weight rods it really lets you put more into it on the forward cast.   Give it try next time you turn a grip, feels pretty good.  I had it out this afternoon with the guides taped on practice casting, I like it a lot.  The best thing about turning your own grips is if you don't like it…..you can always change it later. 

After 5 nights on the rotisserie we are done.  Just in time for a 4 day trip up to the north country this coming weekend.

Wanted to do clear wraps where the two pieces come together this time around to preserve the uniform look of the guide spacing.  So what we do is wrap with some white silk.

P5302092_zpslge15bdb.jpg

And after 5 coats of varnish we have nice clear "invisible" wraps

P6062116_zpstgya5edr.jpg

Minimal trim wraps this time around, only on the tip top and butt section.

P6062110_zpsjatuich4.jpg

P6062113_zpsgt7odfkp.jpg

P6062111_zpst1qdpl52.jpg

Spooled up the reel with some Cortland Peach 444 DT5, casts like a buttery smooth dream.  This taper has both the ability to load in close but the big reserve in the butt to really kick out some line while still remaining smooth.  I think I'm going to like this one! 

P6062118_zpsrwm4kxxa.jpg

P6062120_zpskvrymgzr.jpg

Next up….a project for a fellow board member.

Brad,   Really nice looking rig. Good luck on your trip, let us know how the new rod works out. 

Ron

Love the rods u guys build great job good luck on your trip

15 hours ago, SLC Ron said:

Brad,   Really nice looking rig. Good luck on your trip, let us know how the new rod works out. 

Ron

Thanks Ron, putting some miles on that 4wt yet?

58 minutes ago, Swamptrout said:

Thanks Ron, putting some miles on that 4wt yet?

Brad,   I take it out on a regular basis. Quite often, I'll throw it in the back seat just in case, and when I get where I'm planning on fishing, my old LL Bean stays in the truck. I'll be in Maine in two weeks to spend some time fishing around The Forks with my best friend......the 4wt. Is making the trip. 

Ron