Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Alan

How was your first experience?

This question is for you folks who took Topher Brown's Spey classes?  

How was your first experience with the two handed rod?  Do you think with what you have learned you will continue on in the two handed rod direction or will you ease into it over time as I initially did? 

Let me warn you though that when you do finally delve into this beautiful form of casting, the metamorphosis will be complete.  You will find that switch rod for instance, that seems to large to be casting into a smaller river may offer you an unforeseen benefit.  Let me explain.

We all have run into this problem.  You are fishing a small river that holds fish on the opposite shore in a place that is completely lined with bushes with either no access or to deep to consider wading, even if you can get over there.  

This is a place you have fished for years and you just have stood longing to be able to get a fly into this spot. The many rising fish or that fabled large one whom seems to reside there and affords you no opportunity to ever put a fly into his lie.  Sure you are a good roll caster; but it just is a little out of your reach.

The shore you are fishing from has limited back casting.  With the knowledge you have gained from learning some of the basic Spey casts from Topher the unfishable area is now an easy cast.  What a game changer!  Think of some of these fishing spots the next time you are out on that favorite stream and now think Spey.   I know this too be true because it has already happened to me.

I will always  be just an ok two hand caster but fishing is what it is all about to me.  These rods both Spey and Switch have opened a whole new set of doors for this old guy. 

So folks, what are your thoughts?

I have yet to get a two hander but have been thinking a lot about getting a Switch rod for these exact reasons plus it looks fun to Spey cast

Never taken a class with Topher, though I did start with a lesson from our mutual friend Mac Lord.  I have mostly gone over to the dark side since then.  If given the choice, I'll pick a medium to large river, a long-ish two handed rod (haven't bought into the switch thing) and a swung fly every time.  Even on the annual family trip to GLS, I'm swinging soft hackles and Skagit casting the singe hander.  It's just too damned fun to fish any other way.

Aldo

Your reaction is typical of mine.  In between classes from different folks over a few years including Topher, the single hand rod got a workout with what I had learned in those classes.  My favorite type of fishing is the same including the water types you describe.  Don't be surprised someday we bump into one another.   I confess that sometimes a broken off fly doesn't stop me from continuing to cast.  That is how addictive this form of casting is. lol  

Your final line in your post pretty well sums it all up.

• Like 1

Here's Alan..sticking it to us single-handed people right in our softspot!:lol::lol:.  

Hey I've found a couple of 8'6"ers to choose from that'll solve my eddy_by_my_waistline issue Alan, think I'll be sticking with the single-handed rod...if not for any other reason than to keep at my post-fracture ring finger rehab!   The grip while casting still feels a little strange but getting better.  Amazing what that finger actually does towards the "feel" of things.   Will maybe catch up with you on the WB sometime.

On May 23, 2016 at 10:44 AM, Bigspencer said:

Here's Alan..sticking it to us single-handed people right in our softspot!:lol::lol:.  

Hey I've found a couple of 8'6"ers to choose from that'll solve my eddy_by_my_waistline issue Alan, think I'll be sticking with the single-handed rod...if not for any other reason than to keep at my post-fracture ring finger rehab!   The grip while casting still feels a little strange but getting better.  Amazing what that finger actually does towards the "feel" of things.   Will maybe catch up with you on the WB sometime.

Sorry for the late reply but have been out of town.

I hope that not only you but everyone else that has taken the class remains positive. 

See you on the water!

Was all meant in jest Alan!  Hope everyone's weekend goes off great, although today's temps could be a little warmer.

11 hours ago, Bigspencer said:

Was all meant in jest Alan!  Hope everyone's weekend goes off great, although today's temps could be a little warmer.

That is the way I took it .  No worries.