Maine Fly Fish
phantom21

Need some help with old rods

I have a couple of old Harnell fly rods that I would like to get into play.  It appears that the first two guides are choking up the fly lines and need to be replaced with larger ones, but I am way out of my newbie experience level here.  Looking for someone in the Southern ME area that can give me a more experienced opinion and make any changes to the rods.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I would check with the guys at Eldridge Bros in Cape Neddick. Jim and Mark are great guys and have lots of experience. 

Yeah I agree they could at least point you in the right direction 

Yes, I would take them to Eldridge, but I am a little gun-shy when it comes to a commercial shop.  I don't have a relationship with them, nor could I afford it, plain and simple.  These are old fiberglass rods and that is not what they are into.

I was hoping to find someone, a fly rod builder, to cast these rods with the lines I have and tell me if they are worth modifying...

High end at eldg. bros is not all there is. they are very fair, very approachable, Mark Drummond is an ex pro  rod builder, presently he teaches building .  rod builder in the area is going to show it's face for you, lots. scraping a guide and winding a new one on should be very do able. if you can not get comfy in your area, fill the tank and drive to ellsworth, I will hook you up. buuuuttt, lots around you

PFFlyer, Eldridge is my ace in the whole, for sure.  If that is what it comes to, I will go there and make an informed decsion.  Same as anywhere else.  As a newbie, if I  can talk to a couple of people, I will get a better sense of what to do.  

Ellsworth, well I am at the Wooden Boat school in Brooklin from the 19th to July 2. Hook me up?  Call me 207-283-9641. 

Here is another of the two rods with my Beaner graphite for comparison with the guides

image.jpeg

I want to let those that viewed this thread know that PFFlyer did take in my rods and made them right.  He put new strippers on, new tips, cleaned up the loose wraps, and well, completely reconditioned both rods.  The results are truly astounding, and the rods are simply stunning.  

I am so grateful for all the help and guidance I have recieved through people like PFFlyer on this forum and I will "pay it forward" any chance I get.

I know its late, but the wraps to me do not look original, look too heavy

The way they came apart and the varnish coat and the rust thru the wraps made me think they were original, had kind of a dry finish to them, very much like early Brownings and such.  And as of last month, they are no longer original.

I'm sure they will "POP".   were the old wrappings silk or nylon?

Hey RAW, what do you mean buy "POP"?  

I picked these rods up at a tag sale in 2000, they had no socks or tubes, covered in dust, but where stored put together.  The rubber washers at the male ends were still intact. A retirerment project...  I cleaned them up and stuck them up in the rafters of my basement shop until last year.  

All that to say, that I dont think these rods have been modified until now.  Another guy on SOL told me that there were a lot of Harnell blanks around after the company folded in the 60's and many rod builders just copied the red and yellow wraps with what ever they prefered or had available.  

I would love to find out more about these rods, but I would like to put them back into play too.

One of these books might have answer, Sinclair's  or the book by Martin Keane.   "POP" means looks  awesome,

well done Peter

just as a foot note, the rod the repair bla bla was kinda inexpensive and just a bit of labor, phantom came well to the plate with an education of fine spanish brandy. i usually do not like pre pay at the shop but marc insisted, I kinda had a promise to  myself to hold the jug till rods were complete, emmmm, not so. I had to share with a couple long time older clients, bonus from everyone. Best story, 9:30 tuesday ish, just opened, older client, regular, dropping something or what ever, hearing aids both ears, I said Ed are you driving? what!!!!, Ed are you driving? no, hell no Faith is driving. I went to the shelf and showed him what I had, oh nice he says. Want a hit? well yea you got a little something to put in in, I told him to open his little mouth and put in there! off the top and bye bye!  Cheers Marc!  It was a nice job that eventually was shared by several folks. I am in special place of down east that lets me still be connected to cool heritage. Drinking at 9!

Whoa, sorry about being out of the loop here.  Just catching up here now...

"Pop" is putting it mildy RAW!  Last week in the early fog the old Harnell looked like something out of a movie.  It was absolutly brilliant with the beads of water on it and is had this deep swish sound cutting through the air.  Very Zenish to me, ah bit hard to discribe really.  

Peter totally nailed it, plain and simple.  The new strippers and tips make the rods work with new lines.  They do have thier own rhythms and they will make me a better fly caster going down the road.  I will try to get some pics next season.

Glad to hear you got a kick out of the Solara Brandy, tough to pick something with only a few emails exchanged, but wicked fun nonetheless.