Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Swamptrout

James Green Native Trout Series 6'9" 3wt glass build

Does anyone remember awhile back when I said I had nothing lined up for myself but I'd be willing to build a rod for free?  

Well fellow forum member Arrowflinger did, he contacted me to see if the offer still held true……yes sir!

After about a months worth of thoughtful discussion of just what he was looking for we settled on a small stream fiberglass trout rod.  A budget was discussed and I did some legwork to find some quality components and a blank.   We took it slow, as things can get very confusing and intimidating really fast because of the copious amount of choices out there.  We started with the blank, after giving him some contact info in his price range it was settled that James Green would be providing a 6'9" 3wt blank from his native trout series(very slow action).   The amount of choices the guy offers is just awesome and you get to talk to the man thats going to be building your blank, you tell him what your looking for, how many pieces and he makes the magic happen.    

After getting the measurements from the blank we then could proceed with the rest of the component selection.   Black components were to be the order of the day.  Top of the line Snake Brand tiptop, stripper and guides were ordered.  Several options where suggested for a reel seat, in the end PacBay delivered with a nice uplocking seat and a very nice high quality cork grip to match.   After everything came in the mail Arrowflinger packaged everything up and had the whole lot sent to my house for assembly. 

P6290107_zps5jf8s4la.jpg

P6290103_zpsta9pvmsn.jpg

I'm really excited to be building a custom rod for a fellow forum member.  Arrowflinger gets a nice custom stick built to his specifications and I get to have fun building more rods…..win win!  In the coming weeks I'll be pegging away at this project.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, plecain said:

A new career is born.

So true you are a good rod builder  I would be stoked to have one you built. I am sure he's gonna love it

13 hours ago, theflyguy said:

I am sure he's gonna love it

You have NO idea!

First I want to thank Swamptrout for making the offer and giving me all the great help and suggestions for picking parts. Talk about being over whelmed! 

I am really excited about this new rod. 

As mentioned above we talked about the budget for this rod. Well, I exceed the original range I was thinking I wanted to stay within:o  BUT, I figured I'm only going this way once and I'm getting to the age where why not treat myself. So I did.

It's been fun working with Swamptrout on this project. He's been great and VERY patient with my rookie questions. I'm glad he suggested putting the building process on the forum, that way I can see how it's coming and not feel I'm bothering him with emails asking " is it done yet?"  I am in no way rushing him but do like to see the progress.

Very cool. Good karma Swamptrout!

On June 29, 2016 at 6:05 PM, plecain said:

A new career is born.

Nah, I actually enjoy my job.   Making custom medical instruments is still fun, engaging and challenging at this point.

cool to see this type labor being turned on to new friends, it will be lasting both for the builder and receiver. and it's glass. fun stuff.

A little more progress.  Reel seat and grip mounted, tiptop attached, all guides laid out and taped in place.   A little static testing and then onto the lawn for some fun.   I've got an out of production cortland retro reel thats just been laying around the closet unused for a few years thats spooled up with some H&H DT3, and it just so happens to be the only black ultralight reel I have so on it went.   Things balanced out nicely, the native trout series is just a tad bit slower in action than the snappier heritage trout series rod.  It reminds me of some of the Lami's I've had.  I have a feeling that the 6'9" length is going to just the right balance of length in tight places.  Anyways, heres a few more work in process shots.

Next up, time to chose a thread color…..Arrowflinger is thinking something Olive.

P7020110_zps5l3avxnn.jpg

P7020112_zpsfzhslxda.jpg

20 hours ago, PFFlyer said:

cool to see this type labor being turned on to new friends, it will be lasting both for the builder and receiver. and it's glass. fun stuff.

Yes sir, we've been talking about meeting up to wet a line when the time comes to deliver the rod.  I hope it happens!

WOW, it's looking really nice.

I'm really hoping we can meet ( actually kind of planning on it) once it's finished.

Looking sweet so far can't think of a better way to meet someone from the forum 

Ok here we go, this is all the greens that I currently have.

P7080208_zpswrb28m0r.jpg

What do you think Dave?  

If none of them work PLEASE let me know!  

I'm always looking for a good excuse to pick up more colors.

Swamptrout,

How about the color blue.  See the link below. I don't want the silver trim. Let me know if you can do that color.

When I first was looking for rod blanks this color combo caught my eye but I thought I had a better idea.

Thanks,

Dave

http://southforkrodcompany.com/classic_freshwater_rods.html

1 hour ago, arrowflinger said:

Swamptrout,

How about the color blue.  See the link below. I don't want the silver trim. Let me know if you can do that color.

When I first was looking for rod blanks this color combo caught my eye but I thought I had a better idea.

Thanks,

Dave

http://southforkrodcompany.com/classic_freshwater_rods.html

I sure can, I don't have any blues in my possession currently, but I'll order up that color tonight.

I like the one on the left.

No trim bands.

27 minutes ago, arrowflinger said:

No trim bands.

Yes sir, that will save a lot of time.  Full time wrapping comences tonight.

• Like 1

Good choice should look good and a lot like the one you posted for your inspiration can't wait to see some more

me too!

I bet I would be excited always wanted to build one or even have one built how I wanted it. Swamptrout does some good work

Yes, this is a first for me. A custom rod. Who would have ever guessed? Not me. Really looking forward to seeing it done, meeting the guy who so graciously built it and then actually fishing with it.B)

When wrapping with silk, patience you must have!  

The 100wt LYI silk is roughly half the diameter of your normal size A nylon wrapping thread.  Whats that mean?  It means twice as many wraps to complete each rod and twice the amount of stacking to keep everything looking tight.  A careful eye must be used to prevent overlapping of thread.  But the end result….that painted on, low profile look...so worth it.  

Got some nice afternoon sun today, good chance to see the wonderful royal blue silk in some natural light.

Hook keeper and signature area complete.

P7200260_zpschowftpo.jpg

Stripping guide and the only snake on the butt section

P7200261_zpsfmwqt2fc.jpg

Spigot area reinforcement wrap, looks white now but will go "invisible" after varnish.   I like this look very much, it keeps the continuity of the wrap spacing looking good without odd reinforcement wraps scattered about. 

P7200264_zpssmhepg4s.jpg

Also got the spigot reinforcement wrap done on the top section, tip-top and another snake but its currently on the wrapping jig halfway through another wrap so it didn't come out for a photo.

I like it. I like it a LOT! Nice job.