Maine Fly Fish
Sign in to follow this  
Swamptrout

James Green Native Trout Series 6'9" 3wt glass build

Yeah man that blue really pops looking good can't wait to see the finished product I am sure arrowflinger is stoked

On July 20, 2016 at 6:33 PM, arrowflinger said:

I like it. I like it a LOT! Nice job.

Thats what I like to hear!  

2 more snakes done last night on the top section.  My daughters 6th birthday is this saturday so after tonight I'll have to put everything away for a few days.  Don't want random kids venturing into the basement and….well we all know what they can do….kids lol.

I'll have everything wrapped after sunday night, along with the lettering done.  Then one final ok then goes the varnish.

21 hours ago, theflyguy said:

Yeah man that blue really pops looking good can't wait to see the finished product I am sure arrowflinger is stoked

Yea it certainly does.  I've never done a blue before, I'm just as excited to see how it looks once it gets 5 coats of spar varnish.

Yes, I do know what kids can do. :o

Headed to NJ for my grandsons third birthday this weekend. Also see my other grandson who is now 6 months.

the rod looks great. Can't wait to give it a go.  When I was on the coast of Maine this past weekend I was in Eldredge brothers fly shop. They had a Hardy reel for a 3 wt. A little pricey. Have to admit, I' m still thinking about it :ph34r:

Enjoy the weekend and your daughters B-day party.

If your interested...

That black one I posted earlier I'd be willing to let go for short money, I'll even throw in the line.   

But then….those Hardy's sure are pretty!

I have those little hardys on my glass stuff, love them. for me with the smaller lighter rods the reel is less and less important. The line is more of a gotta have right.

Ok, final look before the point on no return :)

P7260380_zpsedstnden.jpg

P7260381_zpsc6pzg90i.jpg

Rod Info:

P7260385_zpsmb6mwac3.jpg

And no rod is complete without a name of course!

P7260383_zpsuzmrrdxq.jpg

Whatcha think?

it looks great!  All systems go!!!!!

:)

On July 27, 2016 at 10:32 PM, arrowflinger said:

it looks great!  All systems go!!!!!

:)

Alrightly then!  First coat is on, four more to go.

Project complete!  

After a week on the dryer I finally got a chance to get some good photos in the sun.   I've never worked with blue silk before so I really had no idea what the spar would do to the final color when dry.    While I expected it to darken a shade or two, the actually end result came out much darker then expected.  At first I was a little disappointed, as my basement workshop is dark and dreary and the lighting is terrible, it looked almost black.  But then once I got it out into the sun the hue seemed to change before my eyes.  It went from a dark rich navy to a sparkling royal blue when exposed to the suns rays.  Its something that a photo cannot display, it has to rotated and seen by the naked eye as it seems the royal blue seems to peak out from the depths of the spar.   A very cool effect, not unlike natural water when viewed from above with its many natural facets of color.  Anyways….had a lot of fun on this, learned some new things with is always good.  Planning on meeting up with ArrowFlinger this coming sunday to deliver the rod and wet a line, might even catch a fish or two :)

Anyways…onto the pictures.

"Invisible" ferrule wraps

P8030388_zpsdfjcrny7.jpg

P8030393_zpswnpynq9v.jpg

P8030395_zpslmli2e4k.jpg

P8030391_zpsywlel559.jpg

And finally after about a 12 different photos at different angles in the sun I was able to capture something of what I was trying to describe above.  You can see different hues of the blue peaking forth in different spots.  

P8030401_zpsp8uawele.jpg

46 minutes ago, plecain said:

I like it. 

X2

B)

Looking forward to Sunday.

Brad, ......Thanks for sharing this project with us. It looks like you have completed another perfect rod. I own a gang of fly rods and find myself using the one I purchased from you more and more. Arrowflinger,...Welcome to the "small" cadre of folks who are lucky enough to own one of Brads' masterpieces. ENJOY!!!!!

Ron

I got back  a while ago from meeting up with Swamptrout  to pick up my new rod. It's beautiful and he did an outstanding job building it. I don't know about you but when you get something like  this you have  a mental image of how it will feel etc. Well, it's everything I was hoping for. And to top it off, it catches fish! B)

After exchanging pleasantries and looking over the new rod we went to secret location to try to catch a fish. It was a beautiful day and the fish cooperated.

My first catch with the new rod was about an 8 inch rainbow. After that it was mostly all brookies. Not complaining just saying. All in all it was a great adventure from the start with choosing a rod blank to releasing a pretty rainbow and everything in-between. I know I already told Brad this but thank again for doing is. It's much appreciated and I will treasure this rod. Hope I can even teach one of my grandchildren how to fish with it. Oops, almost forgot. Brad is a great guy and it was pleasure fishing with him.

Guess that's about it.

Dave

Thanks for all the kind words fellas!  They are truly appreciated for sure.   Everyone that I can convert to the dark side of fiberglass is a win for me.  Having a chance to build fun casting rods and putting them in peoples hands is just bonus :)  But now I need a break….time to go fishing!

Upon meeting up with Dave, firm friendly handshakes were given and  I received a pleasant surprise, straight from Dave's own trees even.

And yes….I have been known to work for food lol

P8070430_zpsyas0avlj.jpg

A short drive later we pulled into one of my haunts, strung up the rods with some bushy dries and made our way down to the stream.  It didn't take very long, the first pool I tried I lost a fish.  In the second pool I landed a nice feisty wild bow.

P8070405_zpshg8kp2kg.jpg

As I looked up above where Dave had set up shop I saw something that brought a big smile to my face….a bent rod 

P8070407_zpsklkvnv6c.jpg

P8070408_zpselg5cwws.jpg

P8070409_zpsogzdaqkm.jpg

Oh Yea! The pressure is off, time to have some fun!

The James Green Native Trout Series rod lived up to its name….truly.

P8070410_zps4vrudk0x.jpg

P8070418_zpsblvhefjg.jpg

P8070421_zpsjjlfhcy3.jpg

Can you spot the Dave?

P8070420_zpsb7vjuvyj.jpg

After my last fish of the day I clipped off my severely molested looking fly and watched it float down the nearest riffle.  An offering to the fish gods for another fine day.

P8070425_zpsnckf4w8m.jpg

P8070428_zpsrtstyezc.jpg

We worked our way upstream for half the day and called it quits around noon.   After that we ended back up at the trucks for some snacks and shortly after goodbyes were said and off we went our separate ways.   Many fish were caught, stories were told and new memories made.  

Thanks for the opportunity Dave, I had a lot of fun building your rod and meeting up with you.  Now your rod has some good mojo to start its journey.

Man….I've got an awful hankering for some pancakes right about now B)

• Like 1