Maine Fly Fish
TaylorMade8

lakers from shore?

Anybody target lakers from shore this time of year? I know they move to shallow rocky areas to spawn in the fall/winter making them easier targets from shore. Just looking to extend my season as long as possible!

This has been a target/ dream of mine for years. I try it every year at a few spots where I know it is possible... never had success

I have seen guys over in VT getting solid ones from shore figured it's worth trying here 

I've heard of people catching a few from a beach in the spring when the smelt are staging to run. 

• Like 1

On December 3, 2016 at 7:27 PM, Brky Hntr said:

This has been a target/ dream of mine for years. I try it every year at a few spots where I know it is possible... never had success

What are your tactics when trying to target them? 

20 hours ago, TaylorMade8 said:

What are your tactics when trying to target them? 

Wade, fly cast streamers in a big lake. Casting over gravel bottom. 2' - 10' deep. At a couple of the spots there are streams that dump into the lake close by. Some times I will spin cast at the same spots casting a small spoon. 

Last year, Once I paddled my boat out to an island and anchored on a big rock point and cast streamers. This is a spot I do well ice fishing. 

I have a friend who has landed several from shore at a large river up north on streamers

Great. Thats what I figured Brky I'm surprised you haven't had luck! unfortunately I don't think i'll be able to chase them this year, unless we have no ice like last year!

Hard to cast thru the ice I encountered this weekend. I did get to watch rainbow trout swim back and forth under the thin ice on the feeder stream I was going to fish!

The ice sneaks up on us so fast! i'll be tying and doing research and hopefully chasing ice out lakers in 2017

The Lake Trout in Sebago are predisposed to spawn in a bit deeper water (I heard this was a deliberate trait they incorporated when initially stocking...but can't verify).  I have been taking my boat to rock piles in 10-20 feet and finding them...but the weather can be fickle and as noted, it closes out quickly.

Hm thats an interesting factoid. I wonder if all the lakers stocked in the state are that way. Might have to take the kayak out and explore then. Thanks JC

• Like 1

anyone want to help me get my little boat ready in Spring and try for Lakers? I have never fished for them. Do they taste like Rainbow Trout? Hopefully we will get good weather soon. I recall Flounder Fishing on March 1 years ago when temps were in the 70s, Nice & warm. NOTE: Call Al Gore and have him stop is " global warming" I' Freezing to death.

On 1/13/2017 at 9:35 AM, WickedGoodOutdoors said:

anyone want to help me get my little boat ready in Spring and try for Lakers? I have never fished for them. Do they taste like Rainbow Trout?

From what I've heard, they are rather oily and are best made into a chowder, smoked, or maybe grilled.